Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 7 month old labradoodle and she is shedding not big clumps unless we brush her then we get alot of hair on the brush. To my understanding they don't shed or shed very little. I did read something about loosing puppy coats. Could that be what is happening? I have to sweep our floor as the hair seems to pile under there. I'm hoping it's not allergies. She has the curlier type poodle hair.

Thanks
Cristina

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Christina,
It could be that your pup is blowing her puppy coat, but it sounds to me like you have a shedding dog ... sorry. Is she and F1?
I hope that your breeder did not tell you that your pup would not shed...that is really hard to predict. Many F1 and some higher generation dogs do shed. Sometimes the genetics throws out a Lab-type coat...
My F1 dogs did slow their shedding after they were a year old, but they do still shed. (Not as much as most dogs though.)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, I hope that your puppy is shedding her puppy coat. I also hope like Jac said that your breeder didn't tell you that the dog wouldn't shed. I've heard people say that even their multi's shed a little. Most of my f1's shed some more than others, one doesn't at all. My F1B's just got through blowing their puppy coat so now we see what they will do. Same thing with my F3 I never see hair but when I brush I do get some.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
my F1 sheds. a pretty good amount at that, but NOTHING like a lab :)
my F2 doesnt shed but you can get a decent amount in the brush.
our f2B's have been shed free so far, even the flatter coats I thought would possibly shed.

another vote for hoping your breeder didnt say they dont shed cause they can. actually at any generation a throwback flat coat could shed I havae heard.

does you baby have a flatter coat?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shedding

We have a curly fleeced coat. She is a F1B second generation (First cross back crossed to poodle). Does anyone understand that? I don't know what all that means but I love her anyway!!! Like I said it's not alot but alot will come out when we brush. Oh, well Just was curious when I saw the loosing the puppy coat issue thought that was what was happening.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
lol yes I understand I am looking at 10 one week old f1b's right now :)

has your puppy always shed enough that you notice it on the floor? if its a recent development I would probably chalk it up to blowing the puppy coat. if its always been that way then it is possible she does shed. I would expect hair in the brush. I dont shed myself, but you should see my brush! a breeder can never be 100% certain but your description of your dog is the description of a fairly certain non shed... keep us posted.

·
Registered
294 Posts
when we got Otto an F2 he never shed, but lately I have found a lot of hair on the carpet evry day which is cleaned up and the next day it is there again, I have dark color throws on the sofa which is covered in hair. Yesterday instead of useing the brush I used the wide rake comb, and got loads of soft hair, and today there was no hair on the carpet, I am hoping it is his puppy coat at 7 months. :cry:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
shedding

I don't recall her shedding at the beginning. It's just recently happening. Maybe when she hits the magical 1 year she will amazingly stop. :D Our carpet is light like her coat so we don't see to much on the carpet but we have would floors everywhere else and for some reason it likes to migrate under our dinner table. :?

Ah, moviestar you have babies :lol: I bet they are absolutely adorable and keeping you busy too, huh???

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Sounds to me like your pup is just blowing her puppy coat! (Said with crossed fingers :wink: )

I breed F1B dogs, so I do know about them...I usually get some beautiful wavy coats that don't shed at all (that is by far the best coat...I'd call it fleece, I suppose) and I get some curly coats that DO shed! (I always thought the curly coats would be best) and then I get one or two flatter coats that shed a lot more than the rest.

Until my pups reach about 10 weeks of age, I am not positive the coat type they will have.

If the hair is only coming off when you brush, that is a good sign.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I had a Standard Poodle that used to lose tiny clumps of hair twice a year. I would see them on the floor, but she did not "shed" on us or the furniture. I just figured it was the poodle's way of getting a spring or winter coat. When I would brush her, I would also get hair in the brush. More so around the two times she was "shedding". Doc is a 10 month old F1B and so far I have not seen any shedding at all but, I do get hair in the brush. I guess time will tell with your baby.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
kim you are correct, ALL ALL ALL dogs must lose their fur, just like we need to "shed" hair in our brush or in the shower. But the clumps like you describe are more what a "non" shedding dog will leave. And leaving hair/fur in a brush is a GOOD thing! If it's not being released until or unless it is brushed, that is what a "non shedding" coat should do.

I'm not a groomer but this is how a groomer/doodle lover explained it to me, so I hope that helps. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 3 month old that has been shedding since we got her at 8 weeks. She came from a friend who bred her f1 to an f1? She wanted one more doodle and ended up with a litter of 9! Anyway, we love her and she is so smart!! I am wondering if there is any possibility that her adult coat will shed less?? Either way, she is part of our family :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts