Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought our first labradoodle through a breeder here in town. He's(George) 1st generation; dad's a black standard poodle and mom's a yellow lab. George, now 4 1/2 mths old is shedding excessively..there are some places on his body that you could almost see through to the skin. The vet couldn't find a problem...said he might be shedding his "puppy hair". He's got some real wirey hair and some curly.He also is what the vet calls a submissive urinater. If someone new comes around, if he gets scared, excited, happy, sad, etc he pees. He urinated five times in the vet's office. Is this typical of the breed? Any suggestions on how we can work with him?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi Barkley's Mom,

Cinnamon had the type of hair problems you described and I found she was allergic to corn. My vet also didn't have a clue, it was reading this forum I figured it out.

Find a dog food that doesn't have any kind of corn in it. I'm here to tell you, it won't be in a super market or discount store. You will have to find a pet store. There is a topic on this forum about dog food and the way to rate them. I'll see if I can find it and let you know.

Cinnamon is now on Canadae after the wheat gluten scare and trying to narrow down her constant scratching. She's slowed down on the scratching and her coat has gotten a lot thicker. She still scratches more than I think a dog should but I'm thinking maybe it's now a habit because when you tell her to stop or get her attention she'll stop. Her hair is still wirey but not dry and her shedding has been better too.

I'm off to see if I can find that topic. I know it's in here somewhere...!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shedding

Thanks so much for your info. I do have I've always had him on Nature's Remedy which advertises as No Corn, etc..but I also have been putting in a little of canned food with it. The link you gave me was very helpful! Thanks again

·
Registered
12 Posts
barkleys mom,
Good luck with the pee problem. My pup will be a year old next week and I wanted you to know that things have improved from when she was younger. I can't pet her right when I get home, but if I wait just a little bit she doesnt pee when I pet her. Otherwise, as long as i dont pet her from a position of standing over her when she isnt expecting it, she does great. It can be very frustrating so hang in there and good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry but I don't really have any "answers" for you, but as far as the urinating thing. My golden dood has the same issue, he is just over 7 months and a little more than a month ago he started the same thing thing with the submissive urinating. Sometimes he even lays on his back and pees on himself. It has REALLY slowed down since I started crating him. Also the waiting to pet as you get home works too. He still has the accidents when someone new arrives with me as I come home. I know a guy at work who had an issue like this with his dog and he has sent him to obedience school, we'll see if that works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
peeing

I acutally thought he was getting a bit better until we took him to a doggy park today and he started getting on his back and peeing on himself when a big dog came near. It's hard to train him because I don't want to get him more anxious. He is tooo cute though and the most loving dog I've ever had... :roll:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Our vet said the submissive peeing thing should be outgrown by about a year of age (for us that's a long way off LOL). Not sure that's any help.

Not sure about the coat thing either, but I do remember reading that around 4 1/2 months of age they blow their puppy coats. (We're not there yet so I can't say for sure that that's accurate and that blowing the coat would result in what your seeing.)

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts