Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI! Well Charlie is adjusting well to a busy household with 4 kids:) He is more than patient and lots of fun with the kids and adults. He is almost ready for a bath and was just wondering on the kind of shampoo you would all suggest? I know I am going to get him groomed at some point, but after the adjustment into a busy home at 10 months, I thinkwe will give the groomer a little time :D He may get a little overloaded with all this stuff at once.

Erin, Bill, Kids and Charlie

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Well, what I use for Dakota is probably not what you will hear from the other folks here but it has worked fine for him--I fact I use it on my hair too--Mane and Tail Shampoo and Conditioner. Developed for horses, it is now very popular for people use too! You can buy it at feed and supply stores or, sometimes, in the Walmart pet department. (And I understand certain beauty supply stores sell it too!!)

·
Registered
176 Posts
We are BIG fans of Canine Shine (also Equine Shine) made by Trail Head as they are eye safe!!! You can wash that hairy face and not worry about hurting those beautiful eyes!! And it rinses so fast and smells either like green apples or wild berries, depending on which one you get (they are both the same formulation)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks a lot everyone I will see what I can find! I am anxious to give him a good bath :D I am sure it will be an adventure.

Erin, Bill, Kids, and Charlie

·
Registered
985 Posts
Diane, what do you especially like about Mane and Tail Shampoo and Conditioner? Sounds interesting.

I use Neutrogena bar soap for my own hair, most of the time. It works for everything. Thought of using it on Chouette, too, but of course she was just washed since I just took her to Petsmart for grooming.

Kari, where do you get Canine Shine? The non-stinging aspect sounds great!

Leslie

·
Registered
176 Posts
I met the Canine Shine/Equine Shine folks at the "Americas Family Pet Expo" in So Cal a few years back. I get it directly from them at
www.trail-head.com It really has been the best thing for us as I do like to really get a dirty face clean and beards can hold lots of "stuff"!! A little canine shine goes a long way and adding more water will give you more suds. Don't use on an injured eye. Leaves coat clean, soft, shiny and smelling good, not perfumy!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I use my own shampoo too! I use Pureology. Has way better ingredients then any dog shampoo I have ever seen and leaves them so soft!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I mix up the kind of shampoo I use--for the dogs and myself too !! I just pick up whatever looks interesting at PetCo. Last week it was really hot here so one evening we decided to shampoo the whole crew outside with the hose. I was out of shampoo so just ran up the the grocery store to pick up whatever they had. I ended up with cheap-o Sargents. It was a shampoo and conditioner mix with moisturizing beads and smelled like vanilla !! It was fantastic--- really easy to use and rinse out--and all the dogs smelled like cookies when we were done !! They were soft, fluffy and shiny !! Who knew !

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
River Rat said:
Diane, what do you especially like about Mane and Tail Shampoo and Conditioner? Sounds interesting.
I came across Mane 'N Tail shampoo when I was researching shampoos for my own hair. It is a gentle shampoo that you can use daily and it leaves hair very soft and shiney. It also strengthens hair which promotes hair growth. It is very rich in proteins and essential oils. I love what it does for my hair so I starting useing this shampoo and conditioner on Dakota and have been very happy with the results.

Based on Kari's comments, I did check into Canine shine and it seems to also be a very good product. But at this point, I've been very happy with Mane 'N Tail and have no reason to switch.

Here's a couple of links to customer reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/custom ... merReviews

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product. ... 053#review

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I have heard that puppy/dog shampoo is NOT the same as human shampoo, and shouldn't be used on our puppies....sorry I don't know why, exactly.

I like the BEST SHOT shampoo line, both for cost, scent, and ease. No tears to our puppies' eyes! They make a cream rinse too, for longer coats.

try www.petsuppliesdelivered.com and put BEST SHOT in the search line.
:wink:

G

·
Another big fan of Best Shot. I love how you don't have to brush them BEFORE you bathe them and it left Bella (who is cottony/woolly) feeling silky.

I also like the Eqyss Premier line. Smells great, leaves her soft.

But Best Shot really gets the tangles/matts out better, and definitely leaves her shinier.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Maureen said:
I have heard that puppy/dog shampoo is NOT the same as human shampoo, and shouldn't be used on our puppies....
Maureen, I have heard that too. Actually, Mane 'N Tail Shampoo is an equine shampoo that the manufacturer claims is safe for dogs and cats. So I am actually using an equine shampoo on my own hair :oops: but I like what it does!!

I have heard a lot of good reviews about Best Shot and almost bought some--not for me, :wink: for Dakota--but then decided I'm happy with what I have.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Diane, my sister who has thin, fine hair has used mane 'n tail shampoo and conditioner for YEARS! In fact, I got a gallon from my favorite old-time vendor ( linked above) and haven't decided yet if it was for me, or the dogs! I think the company I used adds a touch of extra shipping charges I think, but they are FREE SHIPPING on orders over $50 so what's a couple bucks over FREE??!! My online confirmation shows FREE shipping on my gallon of conditioner, but I think they did add a couple bucks when the actual charge/shipping happened. I'm not sure, but I don't care, cuz the GALLON was on closeout for $12.50!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The problem with using human shampoo on dogs is the difference in the ph factor. They are very different and human products can really bother the skin and coat of our dogs. At least, that is what a vet told me once a long time ago.....have heard that said again and again since, too.

8)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
cannot tell you a thing about horse-anything!!!

I have seen mane and tail in "Sally's" though!!
They don't carry any dog shampoos !!.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts