Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Maya is having issues with me leaving. Let me start by saying that I did a search and have read about seperation anxiety posts on this forum. I work from home so I do not have a usual morning routine so she doesn't have triggers as to when I will leave her. She is always more hyper in the morning and I try to keep her inside with me but she is 4 mos and gets into everything and I can't get anything done so I have been taking her out. If I am going to be gone during the day or need to get work done she goes out in the garage and I leave the back garage door open which leads to the backyard. I feel that it is better to give her more room and not cooped up in a cage. If I go out at night she gets put in her crate as I don't feel comfortable leaving her out if I am going to be out late into the night. Anyway here is the problem....she barks and howls non stop (for at least 30 to 45 min) and then every now and again and worse than that she will jump at both the screen door that leads into the house and the glass door at the dining room. I am not worried about her damaging my doors....I am worried that she will hurt herself. I give her kongs with treats. I do not make a big deal of leaving her. She goes crazy when I get back but she gets no attention or love until all 4 paws are on the ground. No letting her in while whining. If I come home and she is barking whining I do not open the door until she is quiet. I just am worried about her jumping on the door, I do not want her to hurt herself. I am not worried about the barking as there are barking dogs at most hours of the day around here so she is not the only one. Please if you have any suggestions please let me know. I know not to yell at her when she does it as it will just reinforce the behavior.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
My guess is that she would be happier "cooped up in a cage" IF the cage (crate) was in the same room as you :) You could try it and see if it works. Tire her out before you start to work, she will probably go to sleep for a few hours in the crate while you work.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I agree, she may feel scared, some dogs actually do better in a crate, they feel safer. They are all different I'd try crateing and see how she does. Does she actually see you get inthe car and leave? Maybe she thinks you are still inside? Annabelle can see us leave

- Annabelle hated her crate, she'd mess as soon as we closed the door to her crate - not fun. At about 4 month I started leaving her for very short times giving her access to kitchen/dining and hallway and the fenced backyard - we have dog door - first few times I went, the neigbors kept and eye and ear and said she was fine - the occassional bark, but at something. Only thing she has done and still does is chew on any wood she can find, the shed etc, I even caught her tryig to climb up the trunk of tree -she was gnawing on a branch almost 5ft off the ground

Good luck - has to be stressful for both of you

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jonah suffered from severe separation anxiety, especially after my mother passed away. The kennel didn't work and being left out....mass destruction. My saving grace was Miko. Even though she's still kenneled, he does much better with company. I'm not saying that's the solution for you. Like people, all dogs are individuals. I'm sure through suggestions here and trail and error, you'll find the perfect solution for you. Puppy prayers go out to you!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I would suggest you either try the crate or confining him to a small area in an pen. I agree that he may be scared due to the extra space.

Funny - I half agree with you that I don't like to make a dog be in a crate all day. however since we got Kirby there's no choice. The other day we took Dexter to the dog park while Kirby was still recovering. Instead of his crate, we thought we'd be "nice" and leave him just in the basement. We came home and he had chewed up the top of the baby gate we use to block the stairs. I guess he was more nervous out of his crate than in. I guess the point of my story is that the crate (or limited space) is looked at as being comforting or denlike to them. They're not like humans (who want as much space as possible).

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'm a crate advocate ... we've used one since she first came home! It is in our bedroom and Ebbe knows our going to work preparations, the going out preparations and bedtime preparations! When witnessing any of the preceding a simple "Let's go Ebbe" has her walking to her crate (we, by the way, are offering lots of "Good Girl" and "That's my Sweetie" and "We'll be back soon"'s)

The crate seems to be a definite comfort zone. Her place. We have never used it for bad behavior.

You might want to start with little bits of crate time while your home ... and for short absences. It doesn't need to be filled with toys or snacks ... for longer times Ebbe gets a Kong frozen with kibble and peanut butter. She doesn't need a pad (in fact, pushed the one she had out of the way!) but does like her two wubbies aka blankies. When we come home one of us quietly goes to her, opens the door and walks away letting her decide when she wants to come out and then it's outside to potty.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
The "Crate " is "it" in our house as well.
This is Denver's home and is his choice.
When he sees us put our shoes on in the morning
he knows and goes to his crate or if I say Mommmy is
going to work in he goes. The door is not shut behind him
as Denver has full run of the house but he loves his crate
when we are not there.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
that's cute Sue :)

hehe...Kirby learned a habit from Peanut - he will go limp and roll onto his back when we say "kennel up Kirby". We tried to change the word, but he seems to know. I have to carry him to the top of the basement steps and then he'll go down himself and go into his crate

So Denver is alone all day while you're at work and doesn't cause any trouble? I'm impressed! Does he go outside or is he confined inside?

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I think Maya knew I was talking about her. I put her out this morning like usual and she quieted down with in 10 min and did not jump at the door. Maybe if I talk about all her bad habits she will quit them!!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver is "alone"with nine cats for about 4 or 5 hours.
Hubby is home at 12 or 1pm.
Hubby leaves around 2 and daughter is home at 3pm and I am
home at 4pm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts