Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dakota has always been a very “included” family member in all of our activities. But, since I’ve been off and home so much for –gosh, 8 weeks, now – he is developing a sever case of separation anxiety. The other day, DH and I were going somewhere and Dakota took his usual spot in the backseat. Sean, DS, teasingly told him he had to stay home and reached in to “feign” pulling Dakota out and Dakota tried to bite him!! He was ready to really BITE—not just a threat! :evil: We disciplined him, of course, but he is so freaked out at the prospect of not being with us that I don’t think the disciplined would change his outlook. Sean says when’re we’re gone shopping (can’t take Dakota when it’s too hot) and he let’s Dakota out front, Dakota will just run out to the driveway and mope because the truck is gone. Has anyone experienced this?? What to do??

·
Registered
260 Posts
well, we work from home a lot, and one thing we do is even when we're home, put the dogs in their crates in the bedrooms for a few hours each day. that way being "alone" is just part of their daily routine.

-em

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I haven't experienced it but thanks for the heads up. Next year when we retire we will be home most of the time with Tanner. I can see that we will have to make sure we leave him for a while each day.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
emilee said:
well, we work from home a lot, and one thing we do is even when we're home, put the dogs in their crates in the bedrooms for a few hours each day. that way being "alone" is just part of their daily routine.

-em
I am a stay at home mom and I have three boys. Everyone in my house gets some "rest time" the kids go 2 bed to read for 30mins in the afternoon and the dogs go in the cage. I set down for 10min. then I do a quick pick from our day. It is really nice. It gives me some me time. :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have this problem too in a major way. I've been home now with the dogs all day every day since I quit working a year ago May. Canada and Bella have both gotten far too attached to me. If I leave them home alone they literally wreck and ruin. The drapes are pulled from the windows, the curtains are down and rods bent, if there are any windows left open they will jump through the screens to try to follow me. Bella will poop on the floor in numerous places.

I can put Bella in a run and keep her confined, but Canada I cannot. She makes holes in the fence and comes right through or she will climb it and jump over.

I have to have a babysitter for her or take her with me wherever I go. If put in a crate, she destroys it. I can't walk to the mailbox without her anymore. While in the bathroom she claws at the door and screeches for me to let her in. She doesn't get aggressive, but she will plow through whatever stands between her and I.

It gets real old in a hurry. In the car she's a maniac. She bounces up and over the seat to try to sit in my lap, so I finally bought her a seatbelt harness that at least keeps her in the back seat. But when I go in a store and leave her in the car she's trying to force the windows out and screeches like she's being killed until I'm back in sight. If anyone has a cure for this, I'd love to know 'cause she's absolutely dancing on my last nerve.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I didn't know it was that bad, sorry Tink. I don't know what to say. :cry:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
OK i cant stand it,, I have to comment here sorry,

let me suggest to you both read
Csear Millian Book >>> Be the Pack Leader
as well as get his DVDS and he now has a book out that lists the problems and directs you to the episodes to correct them

this has been created by you
this will take time to train out of your dog
continuing to allow this behaviour is allowing your animal to rule you and your home !!! this is NOT how it is suppose to be,

If you get in the Mind Set of the dog as Csear Teaches ,
you can train a dog to do anything and be anyway you want him to be

otherwise ,,,roll up a newspaper

go look in the mirror

and hit yourself on top of the head!!!! :shock: :? :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
How about something like this...try leaving him home alone for a short period of time everyday...even if you just walk/hobble outside to the side of the house where he can't see you for a few minutes. Leave him with a Kong or something good and then when you return praise him and give him attention. Try to lengthen the period of time a bit everyday. With our work schedules, we actually try to be gone for a bit of time on Saturday/Sunday so they don't get too attached :) Kirby is worse than Dexter, but is improving a lot!

These dogs are just so in love with being with people...

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Tink...I know it's a real trying time on you right now with Canada,

1. I do know sometimes a formal OB class might help depending on the trainers you have. Where i live ours have 20 - 30yrs experience and have worked wonders with many dogs. BUT it also means alot of "homework" for you and Canada.
or do some private sessions with a trainer, you and Canada.

and Bella then might also follow suit? and/or you can try working with her later on.

I do know 30min lie downs, & daily training has helped us tremendously
I once had a foster dalmation for 6mos who would destroy the house, his cage and more if i left him...we did MAJOR OB training classes and he did improve tremendously. He even went from being agressive with others to quite tame too.

i am sure this probably isnt what you want to hear as it sounds like you're at your wits end. Hang in there TINK but you really may want to read Cesar's book and consult about OB classes for older dogs

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Canada came to me having lived full time in an outdoor kennel with Montana as her companion. She seems to have had very little human interaction but is desperate for it. She would be ecstatic if she were the only dog here and had me all to herself. When I'm focusing on her alone she's more cooperative unless I try to restrain her. She's never hostile or aggressive, but is very powerful and just continues to press forward until she's where she wants to be.
I have managed to house train her, she now sits and comes on command, and is very friendly with everyone she meets. But that's really where the good news ends.
She'd obviously never been on a leash, nearly drags me and continues to do so in spite of a gentle leader, martingale, prong collar, or choke chain. I'm not a small person, but with a heart condition, I simply am no match for her because I wear out physically long before she does and any attempt at restraining her is a constant battle.
She's extremely affectionate, wants nothing more than to be in my lap (which I do NOT allow but she keeps trying anyway) or touching me 24/7.

As for obedience classes, our local 4-H leaders offer a single class in the spring of each year to help prepare the kids for 4-H showing. There are no others within 40 miles. I used to take my GSD's and rotties to these but the instructor who used to teach has retired and when my kids took a rottie pup to classes with her replacements, I was sadly unimpressed. They cover the very basics, but any dogs that had any behavior problems were really beyond them.

There are all of 29,000 people in my entire county... we don't have access to many things that more populated areas have. I'd love to be able to bring in a trainer, but can't see that happening. So for now I have a rough and pushy shadow 24/7.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Tink I can certainly relate to purchaseing a dog with little human contact ,,I purchased a stud dog that had the same problem,,i ended up teethering him to me for 2mths and i am the only one he will have much to do with, but at least he now enjoys me, everyone else he stilldoesnt trust,
i hope you will read Be the Pack leader ,,,its a wonderful book and will very likly help you with her,
I found a cage on www.petedge.com that is heavy steel, that im sure she wont get out of,
you may need to put her down on the floor ,lay on her if your health will allow it, to begin to show her who is boss, the little booger,
its all correctable, you may need help to do it though
:? :shock: :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
TINK...i pm'd you some of the training methods from the OB class i've done with Max, Beau and previous dogs

hope it helps

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I removed my comment reguarding correction!!

as a side note,

Dogs are NOT people and should not be trained as though they were,!!!

again READ BE the Pack Leader by Csear Millian,
god willing it will help any of you that choose to think a dog is a child,
and avoid createing problems that someone else will have to fix later

this is my last comment on the subject
:roll:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
MaxandMe said:
TINK...i pm'd you some of the training methods from the OB class i've done with Max, Beau and previous dogs

hope it helps
I soo wish you would share this with the class annemarie,, heck i may even learn sumthin,, :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hahahhaaaaaaaaaaa :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Thanks Nancy and Annmarie
I really want to be able to enjoy her, and right now it's not happening. She's upsetting the whole household and making Bella act out in the process. I'm afraid the "size " of the household might be part of the problem. Greg's only home a day or 2 a week and the kids are off living their own lives for the most part so I'm "it" most of the time. lol

I'll give it a try... so cross your fingers for me.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
TINK....one of Cesar's books really is good in all honesty they're very much common sense along with having a dog learn to take Direction from you aka YOU are the Pack Leader

please let me know if it helps at all.........and those 30min lie downs
OMG they really do make a difference and open up the doors to respect, trust and learning from your dog
They stressed this in class, those of us that did this training went much better for us.

BUT the 1st few times you do this you almost feel like a fool and the 30min seems like HOURS but if i could get 3 dogs to do this simultaneously and not play with each other..........ANYONE can do it! hahaaa make sure you have a comfy pillow to sit on
NOTE" if you have hard floors have Canada on a dog bed or throw rug for the 30min lie downs

1 - 20 of 52 Posts