Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, first if you didnt see my introduction, i live in the UK and am a first time doodle owner to moly who is 13 weeks old, anyway from day one the main problem has been seperation anxiety, i have researched on these forums on the web and even a dog trainer, we av solved many problems such as sleeping at nite, she is happy to go in her crate and sleep through (in a seperate room away from us), the toilet training is also sorted, however if we ever need to go out she will not be left at all, constent barking and pooing (even though we took her out before hand)

we have tried leaving for short periods at a time and coming back, a kong toy, chews, exercise and a t-shirt that smells of me, its just not getting better :( we have had her 2 and a half weeks am i expecting too mcuh too soon? how quick should this resolve?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I've never had this problem so I don't know if I can help or not. You don't say if you've tried leaving the radio or TV on, this sometimes will help. The only other thing I could say is not to make a big deal out of it when you come home. I know it would be easy to want to hug and soothe her when you come home but I would wait and not put a lot of emphasis on the return. Have you tried covering the crate when you leave with a thin sheet? This might also help to make her feel more comfy since they are a den animal.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Aww....I can't help either since I've never left mine alone yet. But, I have left him in the crate to go outside and shovel snow for example and he barks!
I wish there was an answer! I guess each one is different. Some are okay, some not. There WILL come a time when I'm going to have to do this. So, like you, I need advice. I think that since you're starting earlier then me, it'll work for you. Me being on a delay in doing this may cause problems and greater anxiety for Bogie in the future! :roll: I guess all you can do right now is keep on trying!
BTW..............WELCOME!!!! :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
When Nicky was younger I crated him in a separate room from my bedroom from the beginning and also had him stay in his crate when I had to leave the house during the day or evening. He learned that when I said, "Crate up!" he was to go in the crate and I would give him a treat. He got so that he knew when I was getting to go somewhere. I'd take him outside to go potty and when we came back inside he'd run right into his crate without me saying a word! He knew I'd give him a treat or two at that time.

I did not make a big deal over leaving or coming back. When I left, I'd say, "See you later, Nicky" in a normal voice and walk out the door. When I came home I'd let him out of the crate without any big greeting.

Even though Nicky is no longer crated, I still take him out and also give him a treat before I leave. This has worked out very well. He has no anxiety about me leaving him and I don't think he ever has.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Henry did the same thing when he was little. We had to leave him everyday for about two hours and we found out from the neighbours that he cried the whole time. One neighbour said "don't worry, one day soon he'll just stop" and he did. I don't remember when but it was probably around four months.

We also put our t-shirts in his crate with toys. We had the tv on for company but nothing worked. The only thing that worked was time. Hopefully your little doodle will outgrow his seperation issue as well.

Do you have any photos to share? :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts