Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this topic has been covered previosly....just couldn't find the topic.

So Clyde, our labradoodle, does not like being alone. Good in all respects except for when left in the house alone. We have the kitchen gated off with his bed and toys and water. Upon leaving initially he barks and howls. I've sat on the front porch and waited ten minutes to see what he does before going to work. Typically he calms down and eventually lies down and stops. However night time is a different issue. Our neighbour was home one night when we went out. Apparently he howled for four hours straight. Is there any way to resolve this without having to resort to a citranella collar. We tried leaving on the radio but it doesn't help.

Desperate for an answer to save my neighbours sanity. Me not going out is just not an option either :wink:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Hi there. A couple things come to mind. When you went out at night, did you also work all day? If that was the case, he might have been extra lonely. A long walk before you leave again might help.

When I leave my dog, I give him a kong stuffed with some "doggy beefstick" made by Natural Balance or fill a kong with yogurt or peanut butter and then freeze it. That keeps him busy for a while and hopefully, leaving is a positive thing to him because he gets a great treat.
Also when you leave, don't make a big deal and talk baby talk to him. Just do it calmly and matter of factly.

If there are days when you can't spend much time with him, perhaps finding a neighbor to come in and walk your dog and play with him a bit will help. Dogs are pack animals and do get lonely being left alone for long periods of time.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
853 Posts
I agree Gracielou! :D I definitely think that if a dog is home alone for a good part of the day, they should have a companion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We do the whole kong thing and this dog gets tons of walking and attention. A neighbour of hours actually commented on how much our dog gets walked. Once in the morning for close to an hour. Mid day for another hour. And Dinner time for another hour. These walks are usually mixtures of playtime training and socializing with other dogs. There is also few times in a week this dog spends more then 4 hours by itself. My Fiance has a pretty open schedule and is there most days to take him out and walk him. So that's not the problem either.

I think the dog is just a suck and I wish he would just suck it up. Maybe this is something that will dissipate as he gets older?

Does anyone else experience this?

Another Doodle? As much as I like Clyde it's not an option either. :wink:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Oh, sorry if I misinterpreted your post. :oops: It sounds like you are doing all you can possibly do. I don't have any other ideas, sorry. Is there any way to get any other companion? A cat, a smaller dog? I don't want to make things more complicated, it's just an idea. The Dog Whisperer has an episode where a lady's doberman will whine and cry when she leaves and she feels like a prisoner in her home because she lives in a condo and can't let the dog disturb the neighbors. I don't remember all he did to fix the problem. Maybe you can get a hold of his tape series or watch him on the National Geographic channel. The shows repeat, but, it's hard to say when this particular episode will be on again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

I did buy another Labradoodle, both females, when my first one seemed to want my attention constantly. It was the best thing to do though more work for me of course.

They are 16 months apart and do everything together! Right now, the younger one, Phoebe who is 1 year old, is at the groomers and Abbie has been looking all over for her.

When we leave the house, I leave the radio or TV on, and they watch us leave and come back with their noses against the windowpanes.

We love to see them play together, and if my husband goes to bed early, Abbie automatically follows him while Phoebe stays guard at my side.

I wish you well in making the right choice.

Carole from CT

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
call me silly, but do you have a trustworthy teen in the neighborhood that can come babysit for a few hours occasionally for you?

if you dont want to do that try leaving first with your fiancee home for a few minutes then have him say goodbye and see if your doodle is less anxious that way. (he may just be pining for you.)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i know Max took a full 2 weeks before he stopped howling in his crate when we left the house. HOWEVER, at night he sleeps at the end of my bed with me and my fiance.
when we leave the house i make sure he has a favorite toy with him, a bone, and also a few treats and handful of his food which really does seem to help.
OK we might have to slightly convince him to go in the crate but he doesn't bark or howl anymore.

I know my neighbor's dog still barks and howls all day for 4-6hours till they come home for work for the past 4months. They tried doing what we do and it has helped.

I also do not make a big fuss over Max when leaving and entering the home.

lastly my kids are home by 3:15pm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts