Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my pup is about 7 months old now and anytime we leave to go to work or out to the store she cries and gets destructive. So far she has eaten 4 pairs of shoes and the door trim. And poops everytime we leave within about 5 to 10 minutes. Even putting her in her crate when we leave she messes in it. She likes to sleep in her crate at bed time and gives us no problems. Everything i have read seems to point to separation anxiety has anyone else had any experiences with this? Maybe has gotten their pup over it?
Any advice would be appreciated. We're starting to get discouraged :?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Keep in mind, I don't know a whole lot about seperation anxiety.
But when you leave, don't make a fuss over her, don't pet her and tell her you're going out. She knows what this means, and when you make a big deal out of it, she thinks that she needs to make a big deal out of it too.

When you take her out of her crate, just say hello, and go about your business (or take her outside if she's not totally housetrained yet) don't make big deal like you haven't seen her in a year.

You could also try busy toys, like a kong, or a marrow bone stuffed with peanut butter. You may find something she likes so much when you give it to her she forgets your name, and doesn't notice you slip out, or even care if you come back...unless it's to refill her toy! haha jk
this toy tho is something she only gets when you leave, you don't want her to get bored of it in any way.

Hope that helps a little, or at least lets you know there is hope. Alot of people have to deal with this, you aren't alone!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Hi and Tina has given some good advice also when my trainer talks about Separation Anxeity she also says to use a favorite toy or treat. Try the following it might take some doing but might help her see your coming back.

You might try the Kong with some goodies inside and put her in the crate leave for 2 or 3 minutes just go aside just so she knows you left her. Then go back in (hopefully the Kong kept her busy and no Poop) do this several times a day making the time a little longer once you see it has worked.

I hope this works for you anything is worth a try I guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I've crated her today and put some treats under her blankets so she has to find them lol. I think i'll go out and buy a kong today and see if that helps.

I feel so guilty when she cries as i'm leaving i dont go back trying to be strict :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts