Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boodles is 8 weeks old. I fed him today, put him in his room (which has a doggie door to an outside run), turned the radio on, and pretended to leave. I snuck back into the house and now I'm in a part of the house where he can't see or hear me. He is going CRAZY. He's howling, screaming, barking, crying, coming in his room and banging against the baby gate . . . . . I've been hiding for 30 minutes now and he hasn't slowed down. What can I do? I feel like the worst mommy in the world. :cry:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe his room is too big for him and he's scared. As I understand, dogs are den animals and like to have a small, cozy (?dark) place to hang out. Have you tried to use a crate instead of letting him have the whole room? Our doodle had separation anxiety too when we first brought him home. His crying was so painful to listen to, but you have to ignore him and not go to him when he's crying or else he'll think he can cry everytime to get you to come back. You might also try to leave and re-enter really fast before he gets a chance to get worked up, then gradually extend the amount of time you're out of the room. It teaches the pup that you will be back.

·
Registered
269 Posts
We are crating Sammy and gradually inceasing the amount of time we are gone. She had a hard time in the crate at first but is getting better every day. I really dont think she thought we would be back at first! Now she goes in and out of her crate when we are home and she is getting to feel like it is her little den. She has not once gone potty in it which helps a great deal with the potty training. As many others have also said, the crate is good because it keeps her safe and she cannot hurt herself in there. It is hard at first, but you just have to remember that and know that it will get better.

also, on another note, I heard this tip from another doodle owner. The rule of thumb for how long your puppy can "hold it" is their age in months +1. So Sammy is 3 months old, thus she can hold it for 4 hours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Room vs. Crate

He's alone about 6-8 hours a day. I have read crating him is a great idea for just the reasons you mentioned. I've also read that crating him could be bad cause he could hurt himself trying to get out. He is fine in his crate at night, next to our bed - he sleeps like a baby through the night. But put him in that crate and close the door when we're home and he goes BALLISTIC. :?

·
Registered
269 Posts
That is quite a long time for a brand nenw puppy to be alone... if you think about it, he was with his mama and siblings 24/7 until he came to live with you guys. I tried to limit my time away from Sammy and gradually increased it the first week working up to 4 hours. I think it is important to transition the puppy very slowly in order to help her understand that YES you will be home, and just for her to get used to the whole circumstance. Tough to do I know, but she is worth it! Is there someone who can come over during the day to let her out and play etc?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Kristen, welcome!
I agree with Kelly that 6-8 hours alone in a crate is not good for a puppy...is there any way you could hire a neighbor to come in 2 or 3 times a day to play with your puppy and give hime some cuddles and exercise? That would really help you out, I think.
Good luck!
Also, here is a good link: http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hi Kristen, welcome from me too!
Is there any way you or your hubby/someone can come over and let your puppy out of the crate after 3-4 hrs? It really would help with the anxiety, and even the housebreaking or crate training. He would learn that this crate time is NOT forever, much like a baby learns that Mommy or Daddy will come back, after being left with a sitter.

The second thing I want to say is, KELLY!! Look at you helping someone else! I'm proud of you girl! :D :D :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOOHOO!

GREAT News! I came home today and came in the door and my 9 week old puppy only made a few squeeks!!! I feel like giving him a steak! On the down side, he didn't eat his food, but he wasn't freaking out like normal. IT'S REALY PROGRESS:!:

That sound you just heard was a huge sigh of relief from one tired mommy.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and concern. I really appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts