Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog had vomiting and diarrhea and we brought him to the vet. On a course of antibiotics for his persistent guardia and on probiotic and canned food for 2 days. 3rd day threw up, fed him bland diet for one day then started his food science diet then 2 days later threw up. Going for xray tomorrow. Could it be the food? He is 7 months old. Are labradoodles known for sensitive stomachs? And does anyone have suggestions on dry food for sensitive stomachs? thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hershey has not had a terribly sensitive stomach, but we did switch her to Earthborn once she got off of her puppy food because she had Dairy Queen poos. The new food fixed her right up. She does tend to throw up more in the summer because she eats things from the back yard such as pecans from our neighbor's pecan tree. They fall into our yard, and she will eat them all day. Ultimately, she throws up on a daily basis...

·
Registered
924 Posts
It's hard to know exactly what is causing the sensitive stomach. I don't think dogs usually throw up food that doesn't agree with them. It usually causes problems on the other end. Is he throwing up food or yellow bile. If it is just yellow stuff that could be caused by having an empty stomach. Hopefully your vet will get to the bottom of it.

Science diet isn't the best food for dogs. Dog food adviser gives it 2.5 stars out of a possible 5. It's not a good idea to switch while the dog's tummy is upset but you might want to think about switching to a higher quality food at some point. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Blitz. Our labradoodle was extremely sensitive to his food. Sounds like a lot of them are. His soft stool and throwing up stopped after we got him on a high quality food. Otis eats fromms, Origen, and zignature. Not sure if I spelled them correctly.lol. The only protein we don't feed him is chicken. We also check pet food advisor before buying any food. Good luck with your labradoodle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Doodle has had a sensitive stomach for years. :( We are still trying to figure out what it is coming from. She throws up food occasionally, but mostly its yellow mucus and sometimes blood (poor thing). She has acidic breath and constantly burps. We have tried many different meds and foods, from high protein to high carbs to prescription only easy digestible food. Nothing seems to work. We recently have been to a G.I. specialty vet ( I recommend pet insurance, FYI) and ultrasound was neg, so on to another food (duck protein). The vet said a lot of dogs are sensitive to certain proteins. I would suggest a food that is one type of protein, ie duck, venison, fish etc and one that is high quality as said earlier. This way you can rule out food allergies. I wish you luck and hope your doodle's problem doesn't last long!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My doodle has the same problem since she was a puppy. She's 4.5 year old now. Every few weeks, she go through a diarrhea, vomiting phase. She has pretty bad acid breath and burping. She's been to the vet frequently when the vomiting and diarrhea gets bad. After a process of elimination, the vet thinks it's IBS. For her, a low protein diet, no poultry seemed to worked best. She eating Fromm Whitefish and potato. Also giving her a probiotic (In Clover Fresh Digest) and occasionally slippery elm. The vet switched her from Pepcid to Omeprazole (a generic version of Prilosec) for her acid reflux. She gets no treats. So far, she's better..no diarrhea but she vomits occasionally.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Zoey's had a sensitive stomach from day one. Runs and vomiting. Was on Blue Buffalo puppy when we first got her. Vet thought it might be too rich. Tried several different foods, Iams puppy worked pretty good. Thought maybe she needed something a little different because she wasn't gaining any weight. Ended up on Earthborn. Did well on it, but got kind of pricey, so I had heard that Kirkland dog food from Costco was a good brand. I tried it...my sister has her german shepherds on it...and she's done great, even gaining weight (yeahhh!) until in May, when we had some real problems, not food related. She ended up being diagnosed with Addison's Disease. It's hard to diagnose because it looks so much like digestive problems. Zoey had gotten VERY VERY sick before it was diagnosed. We had her up to 40 lbs and she's down to 29. So the Kirkland food is great, I would recommend it! But if it turns out to be something else medically, changing dog foods isn't going to make any difference. Good luck! It's tough to see a 'doodle sick for any reason!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Our dog Buddy has a sensitive stomach sometimes and we found canned pumpkin helps him. Pumpkin helps with throwing up, constipation, and the runs for our dogs. In the summer I make pumpkin pops and they love them. We always keep small cans of pumpkin on hand. Anyway that is what we do for our dogs touchy stomachs. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hershey has not had a terribly sensitive stomach, but we did switch her to Earthborn once she got off of her puppy food because she had Dairy Queen poos. The new food fixed her right up. She does tend to throw up more in the summer because she eats things from the back yard such as pecans from our neighbor's pecan tree. They fall into our yard, and she will eat them all day. Ultimately, she throws up on a daily basis...
Have you tried feeding her with a slow feeder? labs are greedy dogs so you need to stop them from eating things in the garden or even food that's been dropped by mistake.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts