Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to an extended family Thanksgiving celebration, I've just met my first labradoodle (Isadora Duncan aka "Issie") and fallen hard. While I'd love to rush to the nearest breeder and bring home a labradoodle of my own, I'm trying to be realistic and have several unanswered questions...

How are labradoodles in small apt. situations? I'm wondering whether they can be happy without a yard to romp in as I live in a studio apt. in midown Manhattan.

I have some respiratory issues, so the allergy-free (or close to allergy-free) factor is a large plus. But my breathing restrictions also have me wondering just how much daily exercise a labradoodle requires. How long/how far/how frequently does a labradoodle need walking? Can a "doodle" be content with 5-6 daily walks around the block...or are they a breed which needs long runs? And since I work (9:30-5:30), do you think one mid-day 20-min. walk by a dog-walker would be sufficient for this breed during the time I must be away from my apt.? A few friends of mine take their dogs to doggie day-care, but there doesn't seem to be one of those in my neighborhood (Hell's Kitchen) and it is difficult enough finding myself a taxi every morning during rush hour without trying to find a taxi willing to transport a dog (not to mention the extra expense).

Advice and suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

G

·
Welcome!!! I think the daily walks plus some good games of fetch in the apartment would be sufficient. I have a mini F1B Labradoodle who will likely top out at 50 lbs - during the week he gets a 20 minute walk in the morning before I leave for work (that is, if he's up to it) ;) and we have someone come in to take him out mid-day. I find that keeping the dog mentally stimulated with kongs and toys goes a long way in alleviating boredom.

I do try to take him on very long walks and to the park, etc on the weekend to make up for the week.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
a doted on and well loved puppy that becomes a member of a family as though it is a child is my dream as a breeder. if that is what you can accomplish then it sounds like you would be a good mommy.

I have 26 acres and my doodles when put outside do run around "sometimes" for about 5 minutes. and then they come to the porch and give the hangdog "mom can you please let us back in the house where we belong" look :)

a good 20 minute walk once or twice a day (or more if you want to spoil them!) would probably be more exercise than my crew gets here - lol!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I would say it would depend on the doodle. In their temperament descriptions, Standard Poodles are said to be good apt. dwellers because they are not high energy dogs. I used to have a Std. Poodle and I would totally agree with that. She did not need to be walked and was content. My labradoodle gets bored and antsy so I take him for a walk every day. He does not like to go for very long walks, though, but still needs me to occupy him around the house in the evening by playing with him or he will start to chew on things that I don't want him to chew on. I would recommend finding a good breeder who will steer you toward the puppy that is more laid back and submissive. Not to discourage you, but, puppies are a big commitment and if you work all day and then want to go out in the evening, the pup might get destructive from boredom. Dogs really do require alot of time and attention, especially if they don't have another dog for company. Another option would be to try to find an older doodle. Just my 2 cents! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
We have only had our Doodle for a few days, we adopted him this past weekend and he is 10 months old. I am a stay at home mom and we have another dog for him to play with. But I can see already that the issue with these dogs will be boredom. They are happy, loving, goofy dogs, but it seems just like intelligent people they NEED to be stimulated, or they will find something on their own, which seems to be chewing, chewing, and more chewing. Besides that challenge I think they are great all around in my brief experiences. There are also ALOT of experience storys around this forum that may give you more insight on "who" you would be dealing with, the Doodle Quirks is a good one. Good Luck.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would say if you have lots of love to give--and are prepared for the commitment that comes with owning a dog--there is a doodle out there for you !! I agree with some of the other posts--that given your situation you should look for a laid back temperment. Three months ago we adopted 2 year old siblings--Lizzie and Louie. They were raised in a wonderful loving home, but the previous owners needed to find a new home for them due to serious illness in the family. Any way--they are wonderful, but could not be more different in personality, Louie is laid back and just goes with the flow !! Lizzie on the other hand is a real drama queen--needs lots more attention--and has endless energy and requires more exercise just to wear her out. However---they have proven to be very flexible and adaptable to there new situation--I thinks this is typical with Doodles !!! So...I'l bet the right doodle would work for you---Good Luck and Keep us posted !!! Kathy, Lizzie and Louie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts