Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Anyone know of a friend or anyone here (possibly mtd?)
know of programs that train dogs for scent tracking or maybe i should say bring out their hunting abilities? i am curious as Goldendoodles
really have a natural tendency for retrieval and dropping it without commands and can really follow scents bigtime.

so do i go to a hunting trainer? just curious as Peanut is going to start her training in 4 weeks when Max and Beau are done with their classes.

peanut to-date has been being trained by me at home and catching on so quickly via watching me with Max and also teaching her. We're not sure if she'll start in level 2 or not, the trainers will test her for me and let me know. I just called them hahahhahaaa

Dave is also a volunteer firefighter and trained in 4 types of rescue along with being an EMT. he wants to go back doing this as he's had a few years of being exempt. I wonder if down the line training peanut for rescue would be something to look into as she'd be available then for emergencies
there aren't any dogs available for this in the immediate area and we do have situations of missing kids at times as we are in the end of suburbia and more rural here.

if not i'll stick to the cancer camp for kids as a goal Peanut might attain
in the next year or so

·
Registered
6,836 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sooooooooooo much Mary!!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Annmarie
The problem I had been having with choosing training program for Dakota is what did I plan to do with his skill once it was developed? That was the problem with agility. In agility, at least the type I had Dakota, if you don't intend to compete, what's the use? AND, they take their agility competitions very seriously . . .

So my question is, would you plan to hunt with Peanut? If not, maybe a future job of working with Dave as a rescue dog would be a better plan than training herto hunt. Therapy training to work with seriously ill children is always a very good and needed skill. With Dakota, I have wanted to train him as a therapy dog so he could work with the kids at Camp Ronald McDonald Eagle Lake, where our vacation house is. The Splash Dog dock-diving is an unplanned benefit because, not only are we willing to compete him in that "fun world", but Camp Ronald McDonald is on the lake and they have their own dock!

Anyway, that is my suggestion: put your energy where Peanut's heart and head is but have a longer term plan to use her developed skill.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Diane...i think you misunderstood me, i was asking about the Hunting Trainers as in training Peanut for scent training in possibly working with DAVE in possible rescue in another couple of years from now. I am talking to several different fire depts via Dave.

OH and neither DAVE nor I hunt. :wink:

Luckily both max and peanut do not chase birds, deer, or geese at the moment however she does scout them out with her nose then watches them whereas max points at them ...Beau hasn't encountered the wildlife yet in our yard.

OH there are 2 therapy programs i am interested in ...the one for the kids with cancer would mean more training the CGC and the other one is a special older folks therapy for those that don't have family or vistors and are depressed in nursing home. Each program also has their own training on top of CGC

so i am researching NOW as to deciding later on as Maturity plays a big factor ...and some training programs are geared towards dogs 18mos and older.
so i figure i should do my homework now and levels 1, 2 and CGC now.
I am not sure if max can do CGC whereas peanut has more of the temperament.

either way, i have fun working with them for now along with Beau.
and see how over time they mature and progress.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Annmarie, I think it's great that you're researching this.
I'm too rural to be able to do anything much in those areas without having to drive great distances for classes, but really admire those who are willing and able.

·
Registered
980 Posts
AnnMarie, great idea that Peanut could work with Dave. We all know she's got genius qualities, along with brilliant looks.

My best advice is talk to clients of the trainers. I had heard a guy I know here is the best at hunting training. I had thought about taking Dex to him just for discipline and commands. Then I heard from clients that he uses shock, short chaining, and what many consider violence in his training. I pulled over one day at the riverfront and observed him training a little lab puppy. I decided then and there he was never touching my Dex.

Find a non-violent hunting trainer. They're a different lot than you and I.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks Rita...for now i am the handler of my doodles when training and plan on continuing this.
I called one place and they agreed i work with my dog and a trainer instructing me with their dog if i want to enter their there therapy program after i complete level 2 training where i am at.

in the training i go to, their are 4 to 5 trainers on hand with one being the main teacher. they also have their dogs on hand to show advanced exercises too. We're taught how to be a handler as well. So i get critiqued quickly if i am bending to much etc....as our body language is as important as a dog's. :D

we use the Volhard method which is via Positive Reinforcement with treats and tons of loving praise with hugs :D
doodles also need gentler training than other breeds of dogs.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
i'm having problems getting into therapy training. The only training program in Sacramento does therapy training on Sat mornings when I just cannot go. Spoke with the instructor today and she said many people go right for the certification test without training. (This is general therapy training; nothing specialized.) She offered to evaluate Dakota first to get a feel for whether or not he is ready for the test. She also offered to work with us individually if he needed some focused training in certain areas. Sooo, I'm at the lake from Fri through the 17th. Guess I'll take her up on her kind offer when we return!

Jac would be a great one to weigh in on this discussion!!! She has a lot of experience in the area of service dogs!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes jac is and so is Kari....... i had talked to her last week
and will be talking to her later on again.

like you Diane, i am seeking out options and since i am goign to be working out of my home starting march 1, 2008 it will leave me more options for training.

i am taking my time ...if it works out great as i have always done volunteer work and would love if ONE doodle of mine is capable.
if not then i still say we had fun training and bonding

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
We play "Find Mommy" and Abby's great at it--indoors! Next we'll try it outside, then add distance,then have her hide behind a tree. In the old days we'd take a pigeon which had it's wings tied up to walk away allowing the dog to watch it go, then release the dog to find the bird to teach tracking. Hide and seek is fun 'play training' which will set a foundation for the advanced stuff...best m

1 - 11 of 11 Posts