Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a question for everyone about these scent deterrents. I am a new doodle mom to Cooper who's 11 weeks old. He's doing well with potty training now (he used to poop in his kennel EVERY time he was left in there, but that's now fixed!) But now he uses my sofa for his occaisional indescretions! I've tried all the Bitter products as well as Nature's Miracle, still gets up on the sofa. Mind you, he chooses to do this when you've left the room for just a moment!

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. I've been reading this forum for a while before I got Cooper and learned a LOT from everyone! Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Interesting, what's the theory? What is the point of the tin foil? Charlie also has a bad habit of putting his feet on the dining room table and helping himself to what's up there. My wife usually lays out the kids clothes for the next day on the table, not anymore. As you're sitting watching TV, Charlie will come strolling by with a pair of socks or a pair of shorts in his mouth like "LOOK WHAT I JUST FOUND!"

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried the tin foil today (A LOT of it, the couch is big!) Put vinegar in a spray bottle and misted it over the tin foil. He pulled it off, caught him lounging on the section where he did it! He also had that "What??" look on his face! I just got back from the store where I purchased some big plastic storage boxes. I'll put them on the sofa when I'm not in the room and try that.

Keep those suggestions coming!!! Thanks.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
TAPE.....sticky tape

the only other thing is to rig the mouse trap NOT to snap as hard :wink: works like a charm....or did at mymother in laws house

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
the only other thing is to rig the mouse trap NOT to snap as hard works like a charm....or did at mymother in laws house
Annmarie ... did it work on the dog or your mother-in-law? :shock:

Just curious! :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
the dog hahhhaa my mother in law to be is a doll!!! :D

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
A few questions that ,ay lead to some suggestiojns...What do you do when you find Cooper on the couch? Do you tell him to get off? Does he realize he isnt supposed to be there? Is their another comfy alternative hor him to snuggle on?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We tell him "Down Cooper" and he seems to mind this command most of the time (considering he's 11 wks!) I think I'm somewhat of a culprit on this as I let him snuggle with me on the couch. However, these accidents always seem to occur when I don't get him out fast enough (or on time whichever the case may be!) So far he's giving us no indication when he needs to go. I try to take him out regularly and watch for him sniffing around...... I've tried another comfy alternative in the form of a very nice doggie bed, he initiated it by both pooping and peeing on it. He will also poop on his kennel pad too, so it has been removed. I'm wondering if these soft surfaces feel similar to the ground to him. Don't know, just wondering out loud!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi Kathy,

If I were you, I would not let Copper use any of the more "soft" surfaces (i.e. dog bed, sofa, etc - even with you) until he is very reliably potty trained. I would either tether him to you (with a leash) or block his access to certain rooms until he is reliably trained. Good luck :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
WE didnt' use doggy beds for awhile till we knew Max was housetrained. and did tether him to us which he took the hint alot quicker that way.

NOW we have max and peanut's doggy bed on the floor right next to our couch :D and bend down to pet them ,sometimes sit on the floor next to them which helps.

if i ever catch them on the couch we do the " are you supposed to be up there?!" witha stern look. OFF they go real quick :wink:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone for their comments! I have removed all things "soft" and now working on the sofa issue. I have tried tethering him to me when I am in the room and also not letting him up on the couch. We'll see!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts