Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday night we took Wilco to our neighbors house. They have a border collie and a pool. This was the first time we have had him around water except for a bath. He was in the yard less than 1 minute and immediately went for the pool. Anyway, he spent the next couple of hours either swimming or chasing the neighbors dog around the yard. Great fun and amusement for everyone there.

On Sunday morning he was still exhausted. I noticed that the pads of his feet were raw in a couple of small spots. I attibuted this to the fact that he was chasing the other dog from grass to patio areas and the quick turns on the concrete may have have been too much. The spots have improved but are still visable.

He seemed tired throughout the rest of the day and didn't go outside much. When he did he just was out long enough to relieve himself and then came straight back in the house. By Monday he would not step off the deck to go into the grass without being led into the yard on a leash. We have had an underground fence since May and he normally loves to be in the yard. At first I thought that maybe the grass, which has been dry due to lack of rain, was hurting the spots on his paws and I'm still not sure that this is not the case. However, our trainer suggested that he may have been spooked by something in the yard and it is totally unrelated to the paws. I have continued to take him into the yard on the leash so that he can pee and try to walk him around the yard to get him acclimated again but he is very tentative about the whole thing.

I know this was a long message but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what is happening. I neglected to say that we regularly walk him around our neighborhood and have continued to do so although we have shortened the walks because of his paws this past week. He doesn't seem as tentative when we are out of the yard. He is almost 7 months old and other than this has been pretty much a perfect dog.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi...I am pretty certain it is the sore paws. My dogs all escaped once, when we first moved to our new home (in the mountains) and they were gone for about 2 hours. (I was frantic.) But when they returned, their paws were all cut up too and they literally could not walk on them for about 5 days. I think it was the heat on the roads, the rocks and thorns and sticks, etc. that caused it...still, even when they could walk, it was done gingerly and not much.
It took them all a very long time to heal. Even if the pads look okay, they probably will hurt for some time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hmm...I dont know but I did a post a couple months ago about my doodle being affraid of the backyard too. There are certain spots of the yard he just refuses to go too. He will literally buck and pull backwards if I try to walk him there. This is still going on now. We've checked the grass lots of times, there is nothing there. I believe dogs have a sixth sense anyway....so who knows! :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm guessing he scraped his paws up on the inside of the pool. I used to get those kind of abrasions when I was a kid and was too excited about swimming to pay attention to the scrapes until the next day. They really hurt, even though they just look pink and I think the chlorine aggravates them, too. They feel like burns. I figure the dry grass on those paws may also be irritating. But I'll bet it clears up in a few days.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the comments. It's funny because Saturday morning, he jumped off the deck and acted like there was never an issue. We also had quite a bit of rain and the grass has softened up so it seems like it was the dry grass along with the scraped up pads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts