Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Eastern Iowa and we are right smack dab in the middle of severe thunderstrom/tornado season. This is really Bailey's first experience with this as last year he was just a tiny pup.
We have had a lot of nasty t-storms lately and he is TERRIFIED!! He literally shakes and can barely stand......he will NOT leave my side. He sits in front of the door while I shower, lays at my feet while I get ready.....this morning he would not even come upstairs. Refuses to go outside to go potty.........I feel so bad!!!

Do any of think maybe I should contact the vet and see if he needs some anxiety meds??? I ahte the thought of doing that to him but as I side, living in the mid-west nasty storms are a regular occurance.

Any advice is appreciated as always!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
how old is your doodle? When Dex was a little puppy (2-3 months old) we had a horrible thunderstorm and I forgot the poor thing was alone in the kitchen to sleep (it was the middle of the night). I ran downstairs and found him shaking (in a puddle of pee). I sat with him and petted him and told him it "everything is ok". I was worried the next season about storms, but it seemed his fear stopped as he got older. I would try to comfort your doodle during the storm - maybe give treats so it's not seen as a bad event.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ditto on the favorite treats - also if you can engage them in a favorite game or toy - anything to associate the storm with something positive.

Heather

·
Registered
260 Posts
I haven't dealt with this yet, but my co-worker has two Airedale Terriers that are terrified of storms too - she told me about a CD they used for several weeks to desensitize the dogs to storm noises - not sure how it works exactly, but you can probably google it. Might be step #1 if you don't want to give meds right away.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oooooh getting him used to the noises via CD sounds like a good idea!

He turned 1 on March 31st.
I was actually late for work this morning because I tried treats to no avail. Then I even got a bag of potato chips out of the cupboard because he normally cannot resist those.....again, nothing.
I gave him a bully stick....untouched. I tried it all........

It just breaks my heart to see him to scared. Normally he is so un-phased by anything! :cry:

I am going to try to get him used to the sounds via CD or some other type of media before I call the vet. I do not want to drug my doodle but this anxiety cannot be good for him either.

Thanks for all of your replies!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Last night we had thunderstorms and Cacao sleep right thru it. But I did think when the next one comes and Cacao is up I am just going to play ball or toss a toy around for a good part of the storm. I want her to be ok with the storms and now it comes but isn't anything to be scared of. But I wouldn't blame her for being scared. I don't like storms. :shock:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
i get un-nerved by strong storms as well..i can only imagine what Toby is going thru..

in our last big storm the wind was strong enough to bring down our back fence and more than just rattle the windows..he spent the evening between the wife and i and he slept like a log..

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
There is a product that health food stores carry...
it is homeopathic...
It is also in the Fosters and Smith catalog...and maybe online, too.
....called Rescue Remedy.
I have some and it did help Coco's separation anxiety
when she was really little...helped her get used to the crate.
....and riding in the car which freaked her out at first.
Now she isn't bothered by any of that and
thunderstorms and lightening have never bothered her a bit....
Abby doesn't mind them either....
they seem oblivious to what's going on.
Once they were in the backyard with me
when a storm was cranking up
and they just put their noses in the wind and sniffed.
All my dogs in the past have been terrified of thunder
....go figure!

Rescue Remedy really seems to help and it can't hurt them.
Not a drug.
You might give it a try.
8)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OK this might sound nuts but
1. I don't make a fuss over storms

2. last summer Max started to freak out, so one night while it was thundering, raining real hard and very little lightening
MAX had to pee so bad but wouldn't , he run right back to the door

soooooooo I got out a strong leash and YES went walking in the dark
taking his potty walk with confidence and nonchalance.
we stayed out there for about 30minutes.
OUTCOME: he's no longer afraid of storms and now will potty during them

They say a dog looks to the Pack Leader/Alpha for direction etc
IF we act scared and/or baby them, this can upset them more as they need confidence and leadership.

So with fears we greet them and act like nothing is out of the ordinary. A dog till their 18mos do go thru fear stages and usually outgrown most of them.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
They say a dog looks to the Pack Leader/Alpha for direction etc
IF we act scared and/or baby them, this can upset them more as they need confidence and leadership.
I agree, Annmarie. I saw on Cesar's show that same idea....be the Alpha Pack Leader and don't be alarmed. Comforting, babying, even treats to the dog is rewarding the fear.
I think they do outgrow many fears, but I don't want to solidify any....
Being confident and nonchalant and not overly affectionate during the episode is best....Just like you did with Max. Seems to work!

Also, you took him out to face his fears....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts