Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm also a little worried about the tree, lights, manger scenes, stockings, etc. Does anybody have any good Christmas advice for our doodles' first
Christmas? Hershey and Charlie are so curious, and like any youngster, they experience their world through their mouths.

And as you can see... poor Santa never saw it coming, then it was too late!

Bryan

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Bryan - Hershey and Charlie are adorable ! tht picture reminds me of our 2 chocolate labs except the tug of war was our Christmas tree skirt, I think they went thru 4 of them along with 3 fireplace rugs :roll:

Last year we put up the tree, lights only Annabelle was only 7 months old and I didnt trust her with my ornaments.

I know some people here put an xpen around their trees

Good luck and thanks for the pictures :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
No advice at all - I put my tree up Saturday morning, and decorated it last night - both doodles are slightly curious but for the most part leaving it alone. I'm shocked!

The only thing I'm having an issue keeping them out of is Annie's present for them - she went to a school fair thing where you pay $5 and get to come in and "shop" for donated merchandise for your family... she found a huge bucket of treats and one of those gigantic nylabones (both items brand new). Both dogs keep going after those two packages!!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
X-pen around the tree with cookie sheets balanced on the coroners. I put up my tree, added x-pen, forgot pans at first. Looked over, curious Jonah bobbing an ornament. Got pans, no bobbing. It works for us! :wink:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
We have been fortunate with Marley's first Christmas tree experience. We put it up on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and let it stand for a few days without any ornaments on it. Decorated it on Sunday, and Marley showed little interest. He has to go right by it closely to get to his favorite spot at the front window. I don't think we told him to back off the tree but three times.

Presents under the tree...that remains to be seen, but I am guessing our good fortune may end there.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hehehe...great photos!! I love how they both lay down to play tug of war!

No advice - we are thinking of putting up our tree next Friday when we get home from vacation (doodles will still be at Camp Bow Wow) so we'll see how that goes. I think we are just going to put up the tree with lights and no ornaments (they would be way too tempting for Dexter!).

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We have decided to put tree in the front room, family room where Tanner is during day might be pushing it a bit. I think all we will need to do is leave the vacuum out in the front room and he won't even go near it :p :p

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
We didn't have much of a problem with Cinnamon's first Christmas. Of course, she was over a year old then (born in mid Nov, got her in Jan.). She did want to chase my son's cat under his tree a few times, but nothing was knocked over or destroyed.

We used a play pen when our kids were little and crawling around. Worked until my son took it apart one year. Budding engineer at 3.

·
Registered
141 Posts
We put our tree up Saturday, and were quite worried as well. So far, Charlie has only showed mild curiosity. He's caged during the day, so we don't have to worry then. He only seems to show too much interest when one of the kids is playing with the ornaments (which they shouldn't be doing either :wink: )

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
We put up our tree on Saturday too. It is artificial so no good smells. Charlie "participated" so that it wouldn't remain a mysterious curiosity. He hasn't gone near it since then.

There was one ornament that my mom made which had a cinnamon smell. That one had to go but I figured it out fairly quickly since he kept stealing it. :roll:

We may have to use a gate if the presents attract his attention.

Deb

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Good idea about the vacumn, that would keep Annabelle out

Last year we did lights only and that's because ours is pre-lite, AB wasnt really interested and when we arent around the gate is up to living room.

Dont have ours up yet, not goin to be here so don't wanna tear down all my painting stuff to put tree up - ran to walgreens got a cheap 5' lite tree I can put in corner - have to have xmas lights in the room :) will put up tonitie or tomorrow

G

·
Since Maya is so young and I am going home for Christmas I am not going to out one up. So it will be interesting when we get to my parents house and there is a tree.

Kristen.....My mom's cats will get into any food item that is left under the tree (even uncooked pasta) so we can't put it under the tree until Christmas day.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
We put it up on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving and let it stand for a few days without any ornaments on it.
Greg ... Really like this idea .... may put the aluminum tree up tonight and let Ebbe watch.

I truly hope it works .... Somethings she bothers .... others ho - hum!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts