Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has some sort of infection... He isn't urinating any more frequently than usual, and doesn't seem to be in any pain - but last time I took him out to go potty I noticed after he was done that there was some greenish discharge of sorts at the tip of his penis. He has been cleaning the area more often than usual, but I just figured it was a guy thing, LOL.

Any ideas what it could be? And am I right in assuming they'll want to treat the infection before neutering him?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Kristin,

Funny you say that - when we picked up Dex from being neutered the vet said "oh everything is fine, but he has an infection...in his penis. Didn't you notice the discolored discharge?" Well I hadn't :oops: and told the vet i didn't check down there that much. They gave us antibiotics to take home with us and it didn't impact their ability to neuter him. Of course I would call your vet to see what they say...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Ohhhhh...best of luck to Sandy-sweetie if they still go through with it!!

And I also hope that if it's an infection, it won't be that bad for him. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Good lock with all Sandy! Maybe your mom will invest in a pair of neuticles for you.....? :oops:
BTW the man who invented them just won the nobel prize....talk about bizarre.... :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
gene said:
Good lock with all Sandy! Maybe your mom will invest in a pair of neuticles for you.....? :oops:
BTW the man who invented them just won the nobel prize....talk about bizarre.... :wink:

Gene put those comical anatomicals away!!! you're going to scare Sandy!

good luck Kristen, Sandy will do just fine and let us know what your vet says

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
gene said:
You just tell him they're jelly beans! :wink:
Gene:
You want us to tell them that we are replacing what they had with something that looks as small as a jelly bean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not sure that would go over so well, as they are Male and have their
ego and everything.
Bahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Sorry I've been out of the loop for quite a while but am finally moved and back on-line. Kristen, did Sandy get neutered today? How is the infection? What did the vet say? Please let us know when you get a chance.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
HEY!! - good to see you Di!!!

There's an update to Sandy's Big Snip on the "Good Luck Sandy" thread. He had his surgery, but Kristin didn't update us on the possible infection, so maybe it wasn't that bad....

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry guys - they just put him on antibiotics - nothing spectacular :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, he isn't calm - he is seriously upset and completely not himself - in fact I've never seen such a detached dog. I feel like I did something awful to him. I'm a wreck. I'm so upset :(

He doesn't look at me, he looks through me. Its almost as if he doesn't hear my commands. He won't go to the bathroom at all - he peed in the living room last night with no warning at all - which I attributed to the anesthesia... He responds well to food and ate about a half cup of food last night, then a cup this morning around 7am - and by the time I had to leave my house at 10 we had been sitting outside for 3 hours trying to get him to go to the bathroom. He tries to sniff the ground for his "spot" and the cone trips him up and he gets upset and sits down and wimpers.

I'm so upset for him :( Part of me thinks he's having a bad reaction to the anesthesia/meds and the other part of me thinks its just the cone that is pissing him off.

Ugh... what a nightmare this has turned into.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Please talk to the vet as most of us went through this
with no problem at all but you need to have the vet rule out
any problems.. I am sure it will all work out and in the meantime
try to give yourself a hug.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Oh Kristin...times like this I wish I lived closer to you... :(

Maybe he is just pissed by the cone, a little disoriented still. I want to know what the vet says. {{{hugs}}} to you..

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
he sounds mad. is there any brusing or discoloration near the site? or any abnormal swelling where his testicles used to be? If not and just the sheer fact he is on antibiotics I wouldnt worry. I would call the vet to ease your mind as that is what they are there for. With my one dog just the normal slight swelling of post surgery made him think he had to go to the bathroom more than he needed to and it confused him. It took a few days but everything was back to normal. Perhaps you can uncone him for a little while when he is supervised, that may help with some of the post surgery stress.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
oh that's so sad. I agree, maybe the cone is making him mad. Could you remove it while you can keep an eye on him? I would call the vet. I've only gone through 1 neutering (so far) and Dex acted like nothing happened afterwards. Could be a bad reaction to the meds.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just tried to uncone him for about 15 minutes while outside to see what would happen - not only did he lick (and I stopped him every time) but he was actually chewing on himself... and it even started bleeding a bit. So he can't go without the cone at all. And he STILL won't go potty!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
oh you poor thing. you will look back and this will probably be comical (I hope!) but he certainly sounds like a 3 year old with a bad attitude problem :)

give a call to the vet to check :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
After Nicky's "snip" he didn't want to eat or drink much and, by the way he walked, I knew he was uncomfortable. Then suddenly, after 4 days, he was O.K. again! Whew! He didn't have a collar and didn't lick much.

I had him neutered at the local Humane Society, which has a spay/neuter program. At the same time he got a microchip. The vet where Nicky got his puppy shots would have charged a great deal more than the Humane Society did. I couldn't afford the vet's price. I was totally happy with Humane Society. The people were very good with Nicky and the vet who did the surgery talked to me when I picked Nicky up and gave me a sheet of instructions before we left.

Sandy

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Hope things are better. Did you call the vet? Jonah would do nothing with the collar either, but he licked a little, but never chewed.

Puppy and human prayers going out your way!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts