Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sam got her stitches out today so we took her out for a training session... (LOTS of pics... SORRY!) - well ok not really :eek:)

started out on land to get the fetching down again- ZOOOM!!

Look how excited i am! I can jump HIGH!!!

Then to the water for some shallow retrieves...

Check out my skinny legs!

Then dad threw it too far! "Go get it Sam!" "NO WAY JOSE!"

So we took to the dock... and got VERY excited and ALMOST jumped in

But dad needed to give a little help

And then I got the hang of the swimming!

Look at me dive under water when I grab the bumper!

I cant see well when my hair gets wet!

So we gave her a haircut when we got home, just a trim around the eyes!

She did so well we were SO proud!!! and she was LOVING every second of it, did NOT want to stop!

Sammy leaves TOMORROW for hunting camp for two weeks! I hope she shows up all those labs and shows em what she can do!!!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Goodness gracious--I'm so envious! :D What a fun time you had! I can't get Dakota into our pool. My husband made the terrible mistake of throwing him in a couple of weeks ago and now Dakota is scared of it. I'm trying to reassure him by swimming myself every night. My husband wants to throw him in again but I won't allow it--guys!! We're going to our lake house in a week and I hope the boys next door (aussie sheppard and wirehaired pointer) can convince him how much fun water is; then we'll start on retrieve!! Love the pictures!
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try letting him wade in at the lake with the other dogs... then once hes not afraid of the shallows where he can touch, go in with him or have yoru husband take him slowly out holding him up and showing him that he can swim. Then once hes not too afraid you can let him go and back up a step, allowing him to swim to you for just a couple of feet.

Also if he loves to fetch that will help to get him in if you throw something in, gradually getting deeper! Good luck and take pics!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Kelly,

I love your pictures of Sammy! The one where the hair covers her eyes really made me laugh! Thank you for sharing them.
Our Sawyer loves to fetch in the water also. The first time he swam he was breathing real hard and making a faint wimper on the exhale. He had this crazy look on his face like he could not believe he was doing it, which soon turned into a crazy smile as he went in after his coconut husk over and over again. Now he cries when the kids jump off the boat before him and jumps in after them. I will get pictures the next time we go out. It is very funny!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds GREAT! THat is our next goal for the summer, to get Sam jumping off the dock! I think she could kick butt in some of those jumping contasts they have... she can go SOOOO high just in place! I cannot imagine how far she coudl jump with a running start LOL.

·
Registered
142 Posts
KMO20057 said:
She is 23 weeks (a little over 5 months) and now weighs a whopping 34lbs!

She is doing very well for her age and just loves the retrieving!
Very neat my pup is now 3 1/2 and weighed 25, sounds like they are on about the same track

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a link to Sammy's growth chart if you want to see how she progressed. They definitely grow in spurts... as you will see she was gaining pretty steadily, but then only 2lbs in 3 weeks, and then all of a sudden 5 lbs in 2 weeks!

We are expecting her to be between 50-60lbs in the end based on the parents, but you never know!

Here's the link to the growth chart: (sometimes it can take a while to load, just be patient!)

http://sammydoodle.tripod.com//id1.html

If you poke more around her website there are also pics of her growing and a guestbook to sign!

·
Registered
689 Posts
We had Chester start just getting his feet wet (guess we know where that phrase comes from), then slowly he would go farther. Goldfish Crackers float by the way. Now when my husband takes him for a run Chester will often take off into the ponds near our house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts