Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Kelly, she looks great! Did they use clippers? How long did you tell them to cut her fur and did they touch her face? I am debating on having Lani get a hair cut, she is looking a little strange because of blowing her puppy coat. Almost half of her is shorter, curlier and almost silvering and the other half is long and reddish brown. My daughter thinks we should clip her, I can't decide! :?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I brought in pics of a couple of dogs that I liked their cut. I told the groomer that I was very nervous because I had heard people come back with doodles with shaved noses or other poodle cuts... so they knew NOT to do anything poodle like. I told them that we liked the head and tail longer than the body but that everything should be in proportion (no giant head on a skinny body etc) and that the transitions should be smooth.

I also brought instructions:

The cut should be a close cut even all across her body (1-1.5”) with a longer yet trimmed face and tail.

•DO shave between the pads of her feet a nice close shave
•DO a sanitary cut (but not TOO close as we don’t want to draw attention to the area with the light skin showing through)
•DO trim inside her ears to get any mats out and pluck inside her ears. (NO ear channel)
•DO trim her tail… but leave it longer than the rest of her body. We don’t want a rat tail look… although it may need to be combed out well if there are small mats in there. (please DO NOT shave around the base of the tail, there should be an easy transition, not a poodle look- the tail should not look overly groomed)
•DO NOT close shave nose or give a Poodle Cut in any way (Example: the poof on top of head should not be overly rounded)
•PLEASE DO NOT cut her eyelashes! (they are VERY long, please be careful not to cut them)

They were very thankful for both the pics and the specifics! They actually kept the sheet I brought in for future doodles!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
GOOD CLIP ~Looks like a great summer haircut!

I would say that Sammy's a beautiful blue. Can you see it in her coat? There's a bluish tint that comes thru, even on the forum site. I LOVE my blue poodle's coloring and I use her to help others see what they can look forward to, when looking at a black puppy that is silvering to some extent.

I might be a tad picky compared to others, and blues definitely have a silvering quality to their coats, but there IS a difference. Here's a true silver, for comparison:

This was taken when Rex was 9mos old, so it seems (I'm not sure about this) that the true silvers get there more quickly, or less gradually than the blues. But I hope this pic helps with the difference.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Great haircut. My dood has very long eyelashes too. Do all LD's have long eyelashes. I used to have a Standard Poodle, a Bichon Frise and I have a toy poodle and none of them have eyelashes like Doc! I am amazed at the length of the eyelashes!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I don't know where they get the long eyelashes. Labs don't have them and it doesn't sound like poodles do either. Weird. My Doodle is around 23 lbs (6 months) and her eyelashes are close to an inch long. I'm a sucker for long eye lashes in dogs and people. :lol:

·
Registered
853 Posts
P.S. When I click on the link I put, it says page cannot be displayed. If you google International Australian Labradoodle you can get to their site, then click on LD standard and then on pics of Labradoodle colors in the body.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey Kim, you just forgot the M!

http://www.ilainc.com/IALAColours.html

YEs thanks I think she does look like the blue!

"Blue This colour should be a dark to medium smoky blue in colour. Blues are born Black but will have a Blue/Grey skin pigment. The blue coat colour will develop over time (1-3yrs) but as a developed adult should have an even coat colour. Nose pigment to be Blue/Grey [matching the skin pigmentation]. [Rare colour group]"

·
Registered
853 Posts
Congratulations on the rare color! People who don't want a black puppy may be missing out on a wonderful surprise! Silly me, for forgetting the m in .com.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, you see...that's where I get confused...when they say it is a rare color group! Seems to me that we have a lot of blue doods on this forum! (And I love that!!)
I will try to post pics of my "blue" dogs here...

This little girl looks funny now, but I think she will be gorgeous!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts

WOW JACQUE!
that little girl looks like she might go "all the way" to silver!

I guess in the whole scope of the oodles of black doodles there must be a certain rarity of blues, but I do wonder about that! But whether rare or common I LOVE the blues! I'm with you, kim, on people missing out. I have a sweet girl here who hasn't been picked yet, and I'm sure she's going to be blue or silver and people just don't seem to be impressed. oh well, go figure. I've often called the silvering trait "buried treasure" :wink:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree!

The little girl I have posted here is still with us...and I think she is so special. She has a great temperament and she is sooooo smart! But I think that her coloring turns people away. Unfortunately, if they don't understand/appreciate the silvering or blueing of dogs, they won't recognize the potential.

I also have one male that is silvering like this female...but his is not quite so noticable.

I agree 100% that this is a gorgeous coloring! (Rare or not! :wink: )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts