Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I am John 31 yrs old and in a wheelchair for 3 yrs now. I live alone with my new dog Samantha. My breeder just offered to give me Sam's sister for free. Sam is 13 weeks and her sister is from the same batch. I dont think I can handle two so I am thinking NO but I want to say YES, YES, YES. I thought about training her for a month and giving her to my daughter almost 9 that lives with her mom, but she has a mean older brother and her mom and stepdad are splitting up possibly so I dont want to put a dog in a bad situation. I asked my mom but she is not home enough and the only friend that it works for just got a new house and dont want to mess it up during training.

Here is where yall come in.....HELP

What should I do?

·
Registered
434 Posts
WOW! First of all, Welcome!

Second of all....It IS hard to say no to a free doodle. I am glad you are taking a serious look at that responsibility. I happen to have sibling doodles and I can't imagine only having one. The upside is that they play with each other and keep each other company all day while I am at work. The downside is that it is much more difficult to take 2 anywhere together. They are hard to handle on leash because they are SO excited. I cannot, at this point, take them both anywhere alone. When they get older and better trained I can see it, but for now it is a 2 man job. Calvin weighs 90 pounds and his sister 60.

Let us know what happens in your house! And we want pictures!

Leslie

P.S. I moved here from Tulsa, I worked as a nurse in the E.R. at St. Francis!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I really want to say yes. I am trying to talk my friends into taking her. I might just take her myself. I just made it through potty training with Samantha I would have to do it again, yuck. The breeder even offered to deliver her on saturday if I want her, he is a nice guy, small breeder that really cares for his animals. Has them used to people and other dogs before you can pick up the dogs from him.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Gene, I really appreciate te replies.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Man, my gut is telling me to advise you against this. I think it is difficult to raise two puppies the same age. They will be more focused on each other and may not be as easy to control for training and discipline. I don't fully know how being wheelchair bound effects your ability to care for Samantha. Only you can say if you have the energy and capability to manage two puppies that will eventually become two fairly big dogs.

My only experience with two dogs was keeping a foster dog for five weeks. Believe me, all my energy went into taking care of the dogs. Now that we just have our own dog, we can have a life outside of doodles. It is certainly very different. It's not good or bad, just very different.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
Deb

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
gosh what a hard thing to say no to ! I agree, go with your heart. I raised 2 choc lab puppies together and other than having to clean 2 kennels for a short while, they werent' any more trouble than having one

Best of luck in whatever you decide !

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might have found an owner, a couple in my apartments that seem super nice hust lost there golden reteiver a month ago at 7 yrs old from tumors and they might be interested and they live close so the girls could play. We will see. It is amazing how life works itself out.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Well that sounds like a great. You could get the dogs together to play. I hope that works out for you.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
cracker9ball said:
Might have found an owner, a couple in my apartments that seem super nice hust lost there golden reteiver a month ago at 7 yrs old from tumors and they might be interested and they live close so the girls could play. We will see. It is amazing how life works itself out.
John, I'm sorry for your friends loss. It does seem that might be an ideal situation for all of you - keep us posted

PS - Welcome to you and Samantha, from Me and Annabelle !

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
John that is one hard decision to make and keep us posted

I have 3 doodles but my fiance helps out or i'd have stopped at 2 hahhahaa

Gene, SUE ...shhhhhhhhhhhh now! :wink: :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL, Thanks for all your replies. I still have not made up a final decision. I hope I will hear from the couple in my Apartments today. We will see. Again Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just talked to the breeder and got another week to talk with my friends or to see if the couple in my apartments want her. We will see.

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
YEE-HAW

I have found Samantha's sister a new home. My best friend with the new house has decided to take her. Now Sam with have her sister to grow up with and play with all the time. I am also going to try and purchase a house in his subdivision so they can be in the same neighborhood even. I am very excited that the dream scenario worked out for this puppy.

Yippy ki yay happy doodlehood!!!!!!! :p :lol: :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
congrats JOHN!! that is really good news :D

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
That is GREAT news. It will be so nice to have them grow up together.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am so excited, I bet I am excited as he is, if not more. It will be awesome watching them grow up and knowing she will have a playmate. Sister even. YEE-HAW

1 - 20 of 24 Posts