Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recovery time? How big will the incision be? How long will she have to wear the E-collar? I know nothing! Previous experience helpful!

G

·
Each vet says different times. Maya had to be kept calm for 10 days....that didn't happen. She chewed hr e-collar so I had to get her a bite not (looks like a neck brace for dogs.....much more comfortable) and she only wore that at bedtime because the rest of the day I was able to watch her and keep her from licking. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
No experience with spaying...Miko came "fixed" a week before I got her. I'm sure others will have good advice for you. Just wanted to know we'll be thinking of you! :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We only have boys (I think the surgery is less invasive for them), however in terms of recovery...if you are home with her (I think you are), maybe give her a try w/o the e-collar when you can supervise her. I have heard many stories about dogs hating the e-collar and I wonder if it's always necessary. If she starts licking and you can't stop her then I would certainly use the collar.

Our vet told us to keep them quiet 3-5 days (calm walks were ok), but it seems like everyone gets different advice. Good luck :) She'll do fine!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon was a little groggy the day after the surgery. We were to keep her from jumping and running, but she could walk and play as long as it was a "quiet" play. That worked for about 2 days, then all that pent up energy was unleashed. She didn't rip a stitch or anything though, so I guess she came through it fine. We didn't have to use a collar on her, she never did bother her stitches.

Good luck! Just remember it's tougher on us than it is her.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Bailey was fixed last week. He did great and never had to wear the lampshade. No licking whatsoever and he is out of the woods now. The nurse did say that some dogs do and some don't. Went so very smoothly - I was surprised as my previous dog had an infection, wore the lampshade etc. I guess it must just be much easier with males.

G

·
Bella did great. Very tired and sleepy the first day. She did not stay overnight (which I find pointless since no one is at the office with them). No collar needed, vet never mentioned it, she just left it alone. She seemed to limit her activity herself, no jumping up etc. She did get swollen and had redness one day post op. I called, they said to watch it. I put neosporin on it and it was fine in a day.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
659 Posts
It's been about 25 years since I had a female dog and my foggy memory tells me the incision was relatively small (like 2 inches) and she wore the collar for one week.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
peanut got fixed at 6mos old.
she did great, NO CONE , had dissolving stiches

she tried to lick the incision area the 1st night and everytime she did
i'd say NO peanut and pet her........she stopped

she was tired the 1st night and for about 2 days was lowkey
by 3rd day hahahhaaaaaaa it was hard to keep her calm

she did great!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Abby just had it done. No cone, we used Bitter apple on the stitches to prevent her licking. I don't really think we needed it though she was pretty cool with it. She was back to normal (whatever that is) :lol: the next day.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's great to hear that it's probably not going to be as big of a deal as I thought it would be! :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Sadie the worst and hardest part of having your doodle fixed IS
how WE react hahahhaaaaaaaaaaaa the doodles do just fine whereas
some of us have had a hard time leaving and then waiting to take them back home. :wink:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Julie,
I was a nervous wreck when Tyke was spayed, but everything was fine! She was quiet and sleepy when I picked her up that afternoon, and she slept in her crate for 10 days after ( I had nightmares of me kicking or pushing her off the bed in my sleep - as if that had EVER happened before!!). She did great - we kept her on the leash for about 10 days to keep her from overdoing it, and to my pleasant surprise, she didn't bother her stitches at all - so no E-collar! By the time the 10 days were up, she was raring to go! Hope you and Sadie have the same experience!!!
And don't be embarassed about being worried - I could hardly concentrate on my work until they called from the vets and told me I could come and get her!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Homeschooling my ds and cleaning the house should do the trick. Even today though, she was only gone two hours getting groomed and we kept saying "It's so quiet, isn't it?". A very strange feeling when they're gone and we've only had her six weeks!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I so will be a nerves mommy waiting for Cacao but we have some time till that happens. She is a a outgoing puppy and I think she would be fine.

Did any of you get meds for the pain for the dog??

1 - 20 of 21 Posts