Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI...okay been awhile but I am now getting concerned about Max.

Beau our 11mos old Doodle left Sunday to go with Sdrudge and her family Last Sunday. He was with us since last October. NOW I know dogs can grieve, be sad, confused etc when a change such as this occurs.

NOW each day i've given them a new toy and then bones.
Peanut took 3 days to perk up and want to play again.
MAX did perk up half the day yesterday finally wrestling peanut, played fetch and more.

HOWEVER, if Max is not engaged in play with me, family or Peanut
he MOPES and lies about. I can handle that but he did have mushy poop in the middle of the night all over.

So Question is: can this be stress this time? he hasn't had mushy poop leaning toward diarrhea in a year now.
and it's been 5 days he's moping, missing Beau ....Is it possible he may take longer to get over Beau being gone and being Peanut's only best buddy?

ps Gave Max pepto this morning, just in case, and if he doesn't improve i will bring in a sample to vet. might even call them anyway

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Stress

Yes, it can definitely be stress. Tanner got so stressed over all the strangers going through his house that he was having constant diarrhea. These are some very sensitive dogs that we have. That is also what makes them so special.

Hope that Max perks up soon...hugs to all of you

Annie

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Sounds like stress to me. Doodles seem to show it with their tummies. :roll: Perhaps Max's relationship with Beau was more complex than you've given him credit for? He must have had a love/hate/competitive thing going on.

Deb

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Ohhhh Max :cry: :cry: . I guess he really does like Beau. I am sorry he is moping around. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
DebBrown said:
Perhaps Max's relationship with Beau was more complex than you've given him credit for? He must have had a love/hate/competitive thing going on.
That's what I wondered as well. I knew growing up with my brother that we fought all the time, even to the point of drawing blood. Yet we also had a lot of fun times and would be bummed if the other wasn't around. I see the same thing in my three boys.

Also, other then the direct relationship with Beau, I wonder if it's the adjustment not to losing Beau, but to being the only alpha male. Sure it's nice to be on top, but if there isn't anything that "challenges" you it can also get lonely up there as well.

Hopefully he adjusts to it and improves soon.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Awww, poor Max!

I think that you are right on with your comments, Ann Marie...and this article reinforces what you are doing...
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1400

I would be very surprised if the syptoms are not stress/grief related...when you spoke of how Max and Beau fought, I thought about my boys and how they fight but how they love it! For some reason, that is what they do in the pack and, to them, there is nothing unusual...but to thier human family, it can be very distracting and disturbing. So, even though what Max and Beau were doing is natural, it could not continue in your home and, frankly, stopping them would have been too hard on them both.

{{{{{{{Max and Ann Marie}}}}}}}}

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
reading what is being written so far
I now would say : ALL OF THE ABOVE...and within in another week I think things will start to be back to normal. yet will be the poop monitor :wink:

Please dont' be sad as Max and Peanut really are getting tons of TLC with us playing/walking them alot :D
But it's an adjustment like we all said, 2 doodle family, Max was humping PEANUT last night :shock: he doesn't do that normally hahaha
and well they just got done having a 10min good ole fashioned wrestle me to the ground session ( 3 so far today since 6:30am today) :wink:

so I really think Max's poop problem is more stress related and keeping fingers crossed PEPTO Bismal and pineapple take strong hold hahhahaa

thanks everyone!!!! oh peanut has the mushies now, max is over it :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts