Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know that not only was the dog sick, but the cat as well.

It turned out after xrays today that my beloved cat has advanced cancer. It had eaten the bones in his foot which is what turned out to be the problem with his foot. The vet also found a large tumor on his lungs, he estimates that he had it for about six weeks, so thankfully my boy didn't suffer for long.

I'm gutted, he's been my best buddy for fifteen years but I made the right choice in not letting him suffer. He was put to sleep whilst still under a general so felt nothing.

he was so loving and faithful throughout and I'd had him since a kitten. It's hard but it's better for him. I feel better after seeing the xrays, we are truly blessed to have found this new vet a few months back. You come away knowing he's given 100% every time.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
i'm so sorry for your loss. you did the right thing. i just put my cocker spaniel and best friend of 15 years down a little over a month ago. it's a tough decision, but they will always there smiling in your heart!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jamie, I'm also sorry for your loss. It sounds like you made a difficult, but sound decision. I hope you will find peace in that and continue to do what you need to do to take care of yourself. I have two aging cats that have been with me since they were kittens...so I can imagine the emptiness and sadness you must feel without your buddy. Perhaps you can do something or purchase something special as a way to remember and honor him. Peace to you...

G

·
Jamie, I am so sorry to hear about your cat. Rest assured that he knew how much he was loved and he is smiling down at you from kitty heaven. You gave him a good life.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Im so sorry but he's in a better place. I know how you feel, when I was little, like 5 or so, I found my old cat Duke dead. We buried him and bought a little angel statue and placed it over his grave, it's still there today.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, it's tough but I think the shocks begun to wear off. I had fifteen brilliant years with him by my side so I can't complain. Just glad he didn't suffer for long. Some days it does feel like one thing after another though :(

@Lisa
Bella doing well thanks, she's a bit confused as she senses somethings not right in the house but she's ok. Her legs healed itself well and she's back to causing terror in the park with Madge!

And the bonus is that hasnt hasnt been sick for a few days so hopefuly all's well once more.

Hope your all well :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gene said:
i'm so sorry for your loss. you did the right thing. i just put my cocker spaniel and best friend of 15 years down a little over a month ago. it's a tough decision, but they will always there smiling in your heart!
So sorry for your loss too, it's always so hard to loose a best buddy. You're right he will always be in my heart. I hope times helping you too

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Jamie, I feel so deeply sorry for your loss and the decision you had to make...but you did make the right decision, and it was made out of complete love.
I had to make a similar decision for one of my puppies recently and I don't believe I will ever get over the feelings of loss and regret...still, I know that it was the only choice I had...at least if I cared about the quality of life for this sweet being.
I hope that you find peace in your decision and joy in your memories.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This morning we awoke to find our other cat had suffered a stroke over night. H took him to the vets and they have given him this steriod shot which if it works will help him recover much quicker. At best though we have a few weeks left with Mikey. If he doesn't improve within a few days or he suffers another we shall have to let him go as well.

He's even older than Shelly was. He's also been suffering kidney faliure for some years. The vet is amazed he's still with us but he's obviously not quite ready to go, although it won't be long now.

We have agreed to keep him comfortable, as long as he isn't suffering we won't give up. He's an old and frail cat that walked in with the shopping one morning years ago but he's determined to carry on.

The vet was gutted to see us again so soon, what's the chances of that happening huh :(

I really feel for anyone who has to make this choice in life, it's one of the kindest but also one of the sadest choices we ever have to make.

We feel shattered and drained but he does seem to be responding to the jab so far.

G

·
Oh my gosh, Jamie.
I am so sorry.
You pets are truly blessed to have you taking care of them. I am sure his last few years were because of your great care.
Hang in there and know we care.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks again for everyones good wishes, they do help during these times.

Mikey is more stable today, he's eaten a bit and has regained 80% of movment so we're pleased so far. We have sent Bella to stay with her mate Madge for a few days so Mikey can recover in peace.

We 've decided to wait until Friday before reviewing what we choose to do. Whilst he's not ready to give up them neither will we. He's not walking around very much but we expect that, for now he's doing ok though :)

Our cats hated each other, so it's weird that they get so sick a day apart

Big hugs to all our poorly friends currently being looked after by us all

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
jaime ...i am sooooooooo sorry to hear of your loss.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The good news is that so far Mikeys doing ok, he's put weight on and regained full mobility, he also seems less confused and more confident.

Whilst we know it's prob just the steriod jab boosting him we feel he will continue for a while yet. :)

Jamie

1 - 20 of 26 Posts