Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a sad day. We had to put our 16+ years old yellow lab down. It was traumatic, but Kelsey is better off. Having Abbey made the day better. We talked about the good times with Kelsey and walked Abbey and took her to a play date with a friend's Doberman. Abbey ran circles around that dog. Then tonight we received a beautiful bouquet of flowers from our vet. In memory of Kelsey. It is very hard to say good bye to a faithful companion. But it certainly helps having Abbey to love.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Oh Barbara, I'm so sorry. I'm glad you have Abbey to give you woofs and licks when you're missing Kelsey. Cali and I send hugs!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Such a heartbreak to have to say goodbye to one of our fur babies. I am so glad you have Abbey to love. God Bless

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
It's so hard to part with a friend.....I'm so glad you have Abbey to give you comfort! i wouldn't have made it through putting my 15yo cocker Peche to sleep last August if it had not of been for Jonah. These doodles are a joy and a comfort!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. We too lost our golden retriever of 12 years a few months ago and I still think of her everyday - I always wish I could just give her one more hug (yet it still wouldn't be enough). I'm glad you have your doodle to help heal your hearts - ours has sure helped us heal ours.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
{{{Barbara}}}
I'm sorry you had to experience that. What great care yu must have given your old friend though to have lived to 16!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of kelsey - when one angel gets it wings, a doodle is there to give the love needed.;

hugs to all of you
mary and annabelle

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
No matter how old they get, or how much pain they are in, it is so hard to say goodbye. I am very sorry for your loss.
I know what you mean about the joy that a pup can bring at a time like this...when I lost my first puppy at 8 weeks of age, I was so heartbroken I thought I'd cry forever...but when I made it home, luckily, I had an entire litter of her siblings to swarm around me, jumping, licking, nipping and loving me until I had to smile. The best medicine for a broken heart is to mend it with love.
I am so glad you have Abbey and that you were enjoying the memories...gifts from your faithful Lab.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
((((((((((((Barbara)))))))))))
There are no words that ease the loss and grief of losing a faithful loving lab,Kelsey. But i'd still like to extend my prayers to you and thought that Abbey is a blessing to have at this time.
May god comfort you and your family. And your vet sounds like a wonderful caring person.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My heart goes out to you and yours at this time. Dogs do not live that long without being very happy. You have done a remarkable job and I am sure Kelsey appreciated all that you have done. Be proud and celebrate her life while remembering. The memories will carry on in Abbey's spirit.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I have an 8 year old lab and I hope that he has alot of years left. My parents recently had to put our Yorkie of 16 years down. As painful as it was, I am glad that I happened to be visiting them that weekend that it happened because I got to say goodbye.

My prayers are with you and your family.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Barbara,
I saw a quote once "the only fault that dogs have is that they do not live long enough." I lost my 16 year old Eskie this July, and know just how you feel. Even though you know your dog had a long happy life, sometimes the longer you have them, the harder it is to say goodbye. Having Tyke has helped me so much - and I have turned Fritzy's grave into a tiny garden, which I can tend and take care of - in a way, I am still taking care of her. I hope that you can find some similar way to help give you comfort and always remember the good times you had with Kelsey.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Barbara, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Putting a dog down is one of the hardest decisions to make but deep down in our hearts we know that it's the right decision. I'm glad you have Abby to help you through this tough time.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Hugs to you Barbara at this time of sorrow....what a blessing to have Abbey to comfort you.....we did the same thing that Tykesmom did....made a little garden for our beloved Charlie, the chocolate lab....every time I go out there to tend a flower or pull a weed, I think of all the good times we had....and after the sadness is gone, you will too....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts