Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone take their Doodles on runs with them?
Sampson is 2 years old and LOVES to run up and down the street, especially when you run with/after him.

I need to start running as I will be playing DIII Field Hockey in the fall for my freshman year at Gordon College.
With all three of us kids ins school and two parents that are teachers, Sam is home alone all day and doesn't get as much exercise as we wish he could get during the school year.

So here are my questions...
1. How do you get them to stay with you and not go galloping off at full speed?
2. Should I just use his regular collar & leash? Or a harness?
3. Should I even bother trying to take him along with me?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I know people do run with their dogs and it's all personal preference, I would only walk a dog - I think running like that is too hard on their joints and paws, JMO. Walking can be hard enough on the little paws

if you want better control you might try the gentle leader easy walk harness, it keeps them from pulling, but I think if you do decide to run him, it's going to take training on both your parts. I'd start out with short walks, working up to longer ones and see how he does.

You might want to wait and take him for a walk after your run.

But, I'm a softie when it comes to my dogs - they are in exsistance to play and have fun and lounge around - running, agility seems like work to me for a dog and to me that's not there purpose - again it's a personal decision

I'd also check with Sammy's vet - let them know how long you plan to run each day, what type of surface you will be running on, how hot will it be etc and see what they say

http://pooch.sitstay.com/store/equip/pdf/EQPWA.pdf

G

·
Yes you can run with him. I can't wait for My to hit 2 so I can take her. I would start slow and see how he does. Maybe run 2 min then walk a min then run and increase time as you go. I think Tyke's mom, Kim, posted a schedule somewhere here for how she would get Tyke accostomed to running once she was old enough.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I am starting to do little bits of running with Lucas now... I mean 100 yards at a time, then walk, then run... or should I say jog... I think if he is good at loose leash walking he can handle the jog with you... Lucas will watch me, to keep up with my speed... I use his regular collar and leash (4 Ft)...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured we'd need some work before it goes smoothly and at a good pace...

But I have to get back in shape as well!
And I'm gonna try to keep him on softer ground like an outdoor track.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I've done short bits of running with Dexter...he seems to really like it. We usually stop because I am tired - not him :wink: I have heard the same advice - best to wait for your dog to be near 2 before running w/him or her.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, Sammy turned 2 in August.
He already LOVES to run for long periods of time...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went to my vet when Milo was 1 year old to get a check-up to see if he could start running with bit by bit. She gave me the go-ahead to start running with him, as did my breeder, gradually, just 2 miles/day for the first couple months. Thereafter, I increased his mileage as slowly as I would increase my own - no more than 10% increase/week. At 17 months old, Milo now runs with me about 20 miles/week. I'm training for a marathon, and the days when my tempo and interval runs are planned, we go for a long walk in the morning and then I daycare him while I run. On my easy days (3-4 miles), he comes out with me, and for my weekly long runs, I take him out for the first hour, then bring him home and crate him while I finish up.

Fortunately, we live on a trail that is completely safe from roads so I can let him off-leash for much of the run. He sprints ahead to chase off birds at times and jumps in the river when he feels like it, but when we run he generally gets "in the zone" and trots right next to me or slightly behind. When we walk on-leash to start a morning run or on evening walks, he's free to sniff around. A couple dogs come with us in my weekly runnning group and they, too, generally run right along with us on-leash. I think there's something about that pack mentality that focuses the dog.

We labradoodle parents are lucky enough to own dogs that were bred to love to cover long distances at their owner's side, so as soon as Sammy's old enough, he should be more than happy to get training with you!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Running

Dewey loves to run with me, I put him in a harness so when he suddenly stops to sniff I don't accidentally jerk his neck. I'm careful to run near the grass so his paws don't get too hot/sore. We've been running with him since he was about 11 months, the vet gave us the green light to start slowly and build him up, he's a year and a half now, and easily does 2-3 miles. We started jogging him in 1/2 mile spurts at a time, and steadily increased over a few months. Just be sure that its not too hot outside and that he has plenty of water to cool down with!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Hope this link works:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

This was the "couch to 5K" running program from the Cool Running website. It's really intended for beginning human runners, but I think it would work for doodles too! Of course you can always modify it depending on how fit your dog is - just remember - YOU have to be the "voice of reason" for your dog - they don't know when to quit! I would err on the side of caution and not do any more than this schedule requires. Hope you and Sammy have fun!!
:lol:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I need that I used to run so much back in high school/college and have become lazy.
So have I! I've mostly been walking with Tyke - I may be doing that program to get myself running again!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I would say go for it. When I was growing up we had a lab and he, Max loved to run. Cacao will be a walker.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The couch to 5K program is terrific. I got lazy this year and haven't run since November, which means that I can't start running again until after I have this baby in November. Once I get the go ahead from my doctor, I will be using it again.

Rosie and I walk between 3 and 6 miles a day but I don't think she is ready for running yet. She loves to do her doodle 500s around the dog park and I think that will be fine for her until she is over 2. Then I think we'll add some jogging into our 3 mile morning walk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts