Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Its hard to believe my beautiful 15 lbs puppy is now a 8 month old 55 lbs ball of energy. Well the ball of energy part isn't hard to believe but it does seem as time has passed quickly.

But heres my question:
To take my LD running or not to. I recently started running and its hard to work in a run AND a walk long enough for D.O.G.. So my question is- is he old enough to take running without having to worry that I am ruining his hips. Granted I am not in great shape so these "runs" are not long (about 20 mins) or extreamly hard... Just curious what you think...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
All the things that I have read says you should not run with a puppy until it is 18 months old. Our vet told us the same thing. We also have an 8 month old and a 5 month old LD. Time has just flown by, they have been a complete delight! :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have been given the same info...no running (jogging) with a dog until 18 months of age. Especially large breed dogs. Their hips are still forming and growing and the jarring of an activity can cause hip problems. Many activities that dogs love are really not good for them...one really bad thing is a frisby toss...it causes the dog to jump up and then land on his two hind legs...my PennHip vet said that this is the worst thing for dogs. He also said that even rough play with other dogs can be harmful...so that brings us back to ...how much can/should you control?
Still, I would wait on the jogging until he is older...and judging from your post, that time will go by very quickly! :wink:

·
Registered
294 Posts
It is hard to restrict your dog from jumping, we have three steps from the back door to the garden and he runs and jumps, he jumps on the chairs and sofa.
We go to the beach and park he sees other dogs off the lead running and cries as he is not allowed, if they were in the wild would they be restricted?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts