Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night went great!! Jonah and Miko in the bed, Rumor on an afghan on the floor next to us. Like the carol says....Silent night!! :lol:

Rumor wouldn't eat in his crate last night, so we waited til this morning. I had to get up early for work, so we went out side....little snow....YEAH!! and did our business. Came in, fed the vacuum (Jonah), put Miko's food in her crate, and went to put Rumor's in his. Miko zips in Rumor's crate, Jonah lunges at Rumor......small amount of chaos at 3:30 am!! :shock: I let Miko eat in Rumor's crate.....mistake probably....put Rumor in Miko's, shut the door, he won't eat! So I started to hand feed him...he starts to eat, I shut the door....he stops! So, I sat on the floor and he ate fine. I think he was a little nervous over Jonah' aggression for food. Jonah and I had a little talk.....his eyes told me he's going to try to be better...he just can't help it!! It's FOOD!! I know this will work itself out in time, so I'm not concerned. We WILL get along and figure out a way.....any hints or experiences any of you want to share are welcome..... :wink:

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Oh,Oh Jonah......Not good!!!! That's what Molly does to me, because she is soooo 'food' oriented....you must have a lot of 'Labby' in you!!! Me??? I could care less about food, in fact I leave it sometimes and Mol comes along and 'snarf's' that up too! Im seceretly thinking she has a bit of 'piggy' in her...hahaha ...but don't tell her I said that..I know you like her...
HI Miko!!!!! I miss you Sugar!!! Hope you both enjoy your new brother!!!

Hugs,
Raleigh!!!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Maybe Jonah is just setting some of the ground rules for his new little brother! As well as they play together, I'm sure they will work it out. As for you and Rumor and the hand-feeding....sounds like he is doing a great job of training his new daddy!!!! :lol: :lol: I doesn't take them long, does it??? :wink: Glad you all had a great first night!!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Ours had a few problems at food time. We started a habit of always feeding Kirby in the basement and Dex on the first level. I take them both downstairs and they watch me put the food in their bowls. I make Kirby sit and wait and then give him his bowl. Then Dex follows me upstairs and the same happens with him. I stand and watch to make sure neither finishes early and tries to help out the other.

At first they were a little confused, but they got the routine down now. Dex stole Kirby's dinner once when we weren't paying attention and it caused an issue. Since then Kirby has been much more focused on eating.

Could you feed Rumor in a separate area where Jonah and Miko cannot get to him (just for a bit until he is more comfortable) - like a closed bedroom?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've had food aggressive dogs before, and just let them eat separately, always supervised. And then there's Dex, who looks at the cats like they're demented squirrels for approaching his dishes for a drink. Maybe if Jonah makes him nervous at food time, could Jonah spend the few minutes crated or confined? Or would it just make him jealous and escalate the situation?

It's soooo much easier when they start out as little babies sharing with each other. But with patience and a daddy like Gene, they'll work it out.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Maybe Rumor is not used to eating in his crate? We don't feed Charlie in his crate and he would give me the "look" if I put his food bowls in there. His crate is only used for sleeping and occasional treats. I think he'll get used to routine.

It also could be that 3am is NOT his regularly scheduled breakfast time. :D

Deb

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
GENE here's a hint cause i had the same problem with KIRBY, also when I watched the POODLE from HELL and then BEAU did the same thing.

how did i get around this?

feed RUMOR either Before OR After you Feed Jonah and Miko at their normal times.
It took about 3 or 4 days say for kirby and Beau to eat their food.

also Jonah and Rumor are doing dominancy issues , neither one knows where they fit in...FOOD is TERRITORIAL for all dogs.
IT takes about one week to establish a general packing order.

So like with Beau who snarled, lip curled hahahaa trying to be TOP DOG learned his place the hard way with PEANUT and Max!

I fed Beau AFTER feeding Max and peanut ...i'd put max and peanut in their crate and sit with Beau and he'd eat. IT also taught him he ate last and put him in his ORDER.
I had to do the same with KIRBY

AFTER a week, they should be able to eat together and there may be a few growls from Miko and/or jonah if Rumor goes near their food and Vice Versa.

week 2: should be smooth
Rumor is also adjusting big time and learning to trust YOU Gene and will by then start to bond with Jonah and Miko.
There are going to be squabble, if there is no blood, then let them work it out.........as if you do life gets easier sooner

Please let me know if this helps and/or what happens

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Glad to hear that the first night went
pretty good. The food issues will work itself out once
everybody gets more relaxed..............

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First problem was my fault, it being early I didn't put Rumor in his crate BEFORE getting the food. Lesson one learned. Lesson 2 learned was when I came home. I leave treats for the kids, toys with kibble and kongs with cookies. Rumor didn't un-kibble his toy so Jonah got it. After he de-kibbled it, Rumor bumped it and all hell broke loose!! Jonah got a time out......the first since he was 6mo!! He knew he was wrong because he sat there silently for 10 minutes. The lesson learned was.....when I get home from work, while the kids are in the yard.....ALL TREAT CONTAINERS GO AWAY TIL THE NEXT TIME!! :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Gene, seriously it sounds like it is going really GOOD in such a short time! and hey everything is trial and error

what works for one may not work for others, AND GENE you always seem to figure things out. the 1st week is adjustment hahahhhaa

have fun adjusting to walking 3 doodles :wink: hahahhaa or are they walking you? :wink:

just messin with ya ((((((((Gene))))))))))))))

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MaxandMe said:
have fun adjusting to walking 3 doodles :wink: hahahhaa or are they walking you? :wink:
That's funny! My cousin said to me last night....."So, how are we going to do the park now that you have three?" I said....."Your daughter!" Then we both died laughing!! :lol: Actually, if we start in the open areas and stay off the rock paths, I believe with a little work, ,we can do it. Plus in our big park, there's a couple of roads they made one-way for bikes, joggers etc. Besides, I love an adventure....plus they'll all be on gentle leaders..... :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More pictures

Our snow....well, it's mud now....this was our 3rd romp since I got home at 11:30.....
Rumor.....a little wet

Yes.....I peed om the garage lifting my leg!! Rumor

Jonah....just cause!

Miko....

My poor kitchen floor!!
:shock: :twisted:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Gene, you are really brave (or should I have said CRAZY?) to own three doodles! They'll drive you nuts, but you'll have such fun! Rumor will find his place soon and will become part of the pack. But. . . I'm glad I'm not buying all that dog food and paying vet bills for three!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah....first vet trip will be tomorrow afternoon or tuesday. He has what appears to be a bite on his one ear.....not from Jonah, it looks older, and he scratches it so hard til he cries!! I'm going to put some cortizone creme on it. It's not raw or anything....we'll fing out tomorrow, I hope!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Once again great photos of your babies...........
They all look pretty darn happy and I especailly think
that Rumor cannot get over his good luck at landing such
a great family :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhhhhh i still can't believe the pain that Rumor must have went thru with his ear...it's give me the chills to think of it.

and YOUR FLOOR gene......it'll recover. just get a MOP out when the snow flies and the ground freezes hahahahaaa
and wow you weren't kidding when you said it's muddy in your yard.

But the love and laughter and memories will be worth every drop of mud on that floor :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got home from the vet. He checked out great. She said he could put on 5#, but not much more than that. He weighs in at 57#, is 2 years, 2 months.....so we're going to make his birthday Oct 23 because that was my Dad's birthday. He does have a bite on his "good ear" that may have come from the shelter, but she said it's healing fine. The staff think I'm a hero....and a little crazy. The on woman said.....maybe we can get you on a schedule where you can bring all three in at once....then they all broke out laughing! He was a huge hit! Then we made a stop at Best Buy to see my old boss. She fell in love with him.....but thinks I'm nuts!!
I had to give him a bath today because he had the runs in the kennel. They had warned me that he spent so much time caged, that it would happen. After the holidays, we'll get to work on a different method. Any ideas are of course welcome!! :wink:
The Best shot shampoo & conditioner made his coat so soft!! Of course, he's once again got muddy feet from racing around the yard with his sibs!! :twisted:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
So glad to hear Rumor had a good Vet visit ! Hope his tummy issues straighten out real soon

looking forward to more pics - don't think you're nuts, I had have 3 or 4 if I could. Just consider yourself and Doggie Angel instead of a Nutty Squirrl :wink:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts