Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

OK...I have to share this story! My 6 year old twins were at school and my 4 yr. old was sitting at the kitchen table eating her lunch and I hear Angel's potty bells ringing. I thought it CAN'T be the twins because they are in school and Bridget is eating lunch. Could it be my husband coming home from work in the middle of the afternoon for a romantic lunch? :wink: ....of course not!

It could only mean one thing...it was Angel ringing the potty bells! I ran to the door and there she was sitting patiently for me to let her out. I was SO excited that I immediately went into the high pitch squeal..."GOOD GIRL, ANGEL!". She had a delayed reaction. I could see in her eyes she was trying to figure out why I was going so crazy! THEN, the tail started going until her whole body was shaking from side to side. She realized..."Hey, I did something really good! Let's be happy together!". So I let her out and crossed my fingers that she'd do her business and not take off thinking it was play time. To my excitement, she did her business (fast) and came right back in!

I'm so proud of her. It was the first time that she did it on her own and she is only 10 weeks old! She hasn't done it since yesterday, but it's a start. [/img]

Nicole

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Congrats!!! We had zero house training success until we started with the bell. LDs learn that trick so fast. I have told everyone I have met since then about it. SO pround!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
What a good girl... and such a great pic!! :p

G

·
That is awesome!!! What an adoradoodle "Angel" too!!!! :lol:

We never did the bell thing, Boyd just barks. Actually, now that he's 10 months he has an iron bladder. That's b/c his first dog walker never took him out when he was a puppy! If you search my posts you'll find it "I'm so mad/sad".....

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Good girl!!

I have a question about that though: How does a dog learn that the bell is NOT a fun toy, and is just to be used when it has to need to potty? I just picture a dog thinking that a hanging bell is just about the neatest thing, and ringing it non-stop!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Congratulations! What a great event!!
And the picture is too cute! Look at that sweet baby waiting patiently to go out...adorable!

·
Registered
980 Posts
What an angelic face! You sure named her right!

I hang Dex's leash on the inside of the door and he pulls on it when it's time. I don't know why he doesn't do it at other times as if it's a toy. We just always said when he wanted out "get your leash then" and he does it. We also know a pee from a poopy, cause a poopy has a whine included with the leash pulling.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
that is GREAT!!! wow 10 wks old!! angel is a smart one and totally adorably cute!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Nicole ...can i hire you? :wink:
let's see...6yr old twins and a 4yr and 10wk old puppy...WOW!!! and angel rings the bell. not bad if you ask me! :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys are all great! Thanks for all your replies!

Is it wrong that we are all so proud of our doodles like they are our children? I do consider Angel my 4th baby! Actually, my husband and I were thinking of adding another baby but everything changed after a visit to a local pet store and we meet a doodle! My kids have really been wanting a pet and we couldn't have a cat because my husband is allergic so we started out small with, Squeaky, the hamspter. We love Squeaky and I thought that they'd lose interest in any pet so if I'm going to be taking care of one, it's going to be easy. After months of loving Squeaky we would still go to the pet store every so often as a "field trip" and play with the puppies (not that I'd ever buy one from a pet store). I never had a problem telling the kids, "say good-bye to the puppy"...until I meet a doodle. My husband was actually with us on this trip and I just looked at him and said, "I think I'd rather have a dog than a baby (it's almost like having a real baby, as you all know BUT you don't need to save for another college tuition!)." Of course, he didn't complain. After doing tons of research (and falling in love with everything about the breed), I found a wonderful breeder of labradoodles close to home!

You guys are so funny! I'll take the credit for teaching a 10wk old puppy for learning to ring potty bells even though it only happened on her own one time so far (or to pull on a leash at the door....that's smart Dextersmommy!) :lol: And, Sessa, that's amazing about "later"!...but I'm convinced that it's because we all picked the smartest dog in the world! It's just us guiding them!

Annmarie: I am training my kids how to train the dog, so they are doing just as much of the work as I am! So, really...my kids are for hire, too :lol: They would love to have 2 more doodles to love...especially 2 adorable ones like Max and Peanut!

Ellabee and LAM: Only Angel knows why she doesn't go and attack the bells like one of her toys...I certainly didn't have to teach her this! LAM...one smart puppy to learn how to "talk" to you when it's potty time! I can't wait to look at your post "I'm so mad/sad". I'll look when I'm done posting this!

Aren't our doodles smart?

Nicole[/b]

·
Registered
116 Posts
ellabee:
Everytime the dog rings the bell, she goes out. That is EVERY time. Whether she wants to go out or not. She will learn very quickly only to ring the bell if she means business.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's right! Right now I am ringing the bells for her and say, "ring the bells" and then we go directly outside and I say, "Go Potty" over and over until she does. I do this every time. She is now starting to ring the bells when I take her to the door and say "ring the bells". It was the other day that she did it without my help! I think that they just associate the bells with going outside and not as a toy. I also bring her back in right after she is done doing her business even if we are going to go back out to play. I come in and do something else for a few minutes and then take her out to play. This way she won't wonder if she can have play time after potty time on days I'm in a hurry and need her to be done.

Nicole

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Oh Nicole! She is such a sweet Doodle baby.....and sooo smart to boot!
Think I'll try your idea with Raleigh....for the most part he's pretty good...but HE dosen't tell us....I have to watch and judge approximately when I think he needs to go out.....maybe he's think the bells are a good idea if I can get him to understand that is... :roll:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ok folks...at my job we have sateliite radio on 24/7 and the 1970s song "you can Ring MY bell" came on and i started giggling hhahaha was thinking of this post!!! and now i can't get that song to stop playing in my head :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
That would be Anita Ward singing!

I put up a bell for Miko today. I am also taking treats out to see if we can encourage her to do the right thing and pee outside. Say a little prayer for us!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hey gene if it doesn't work ...you can always put the Bells on Miko so you'll know where she is at all times :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
When I got her ID tag, the girl told me they sell guards that silences the noise...I said no thanks...I want to know where she is! :lol: May try the bell also

1 - 20 of 21 Posts