Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished reading a heart-breaking account of a doodle pup
going into renal failure and having to be put down as the result of having been given an injection of Rimadyl (an ASAID) during the neutering procedure. The writer indicated that many vets routinely give this drug during spay/neuter surgeries even though it appears that the risk far outweighs the benefit. Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with this?
My precious Jasmine is scheduled for her spay surgery at the end of this month and I want to know if this is something I need to discuss beforehand with our Vet.
I would appreciate any and all input on this topic.

·
Registered
197 Posts
i have not personally heard of anyone running into trouble after spay / neuter (except for maybe skin infection). I know that if you dont spay/ neuter your pet you increase the risk of ovarian cancer, ect.
Terri Lynn

·
Registered
215 Posts
chocolatelover-
Rimadyl injections are commonly given after a spay or neuter surgery as pain relief. The generic name is carprofen. It is an NSAID- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. When I worked as a veterinary technician, we commonly gave it post-op. It is also available as an oral medication. Besides its post-surgery pain benefits, it is also used to relieve arthritis and other things to reduce inflammation (because it is an anti-inflammatory.) My opinion of it- I think that some dogs may react to it- just like some people react poorly to drugs. The incidence may be higher, as it seems that Rimadyl MAY cause blood clotting problems. All drugs have side effects, even tylenol or advil in people. I never saw a problem with it, and saw many dogs walk better because of the drug. As a pain reliever, I think it is a fine drug. BUT, if you do not feel comfortable with it, TELL YOUR VET. If you don't want rimadyl given to your dog, tell your vet. Your vet should do what you ask- if not, you should find another vet! Good luck to you and your pup!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
118 Posts
maybe something to consider discussing with your vet:

my vet performed some bloodwork on both Pacha and Maggie prior to their Spay operations to determine if there are certain meds they might have bad reactions too and which anesthesia to use etc.

Obviously it costs a bit extra, but I liked the extra reassurance it gave me.

neither of them had any problems at all. I picked them up the same day and they were acting as if nothing had happened the next morning...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Absolutely Michael! Pre-op bloodwork is worth the extra expense. It's possible that that particular puppy had kidney problems before the surgery. Dogs with kidney or liver problems should not take Rimadyl.

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for all your valuable input. I was familiar with the benefits of Rimadyl (in pill form) as we had used it for pain relief from arthritis for our 13 yr. old shar pei and it was very effective. I didn't know (until reading the commentary I described) that it was given in injection form and used post-op. I don't know at this point if my vet uses it routinely for that purpose, but I will be sure to discuss it with him.
With regard to the pre-surgical blood testing, I agree (from past experience with our other dogs) that the extra expense is money well-spent and Jasmine is already scheduled for her "Pre Anesthetic Blood Testing" the day before her surgery.
Thanks again for all your quick and informative responses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts