Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riley wont eat anything! We tried pouring things on his food to make it more appetizing, nothing. He wont take treats or bones either. He plays fine, but he looks so sad :(

Any suggestions? What food can I give him thats good for dogs and tastes good, something he cant refuse?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Not eating can be lots of things....I think we need a bit more information before we can offer any advice. You say Riley is not eating...how long has he refused food. Is he drinking water?
What food was he on? Also, how old is Riley and how much does he weigh?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I'm with Annie...has he stopped eating for a day? hold old is he?is he pooping and peeing along with taking in water?
also did you call the vet?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, he didnt eat dinner yesterday so his last meal was given to him at breakfast but I wasnt home so I honestly dont know when he ate that but it was gone by noon. he has been drinking water, but not much. He's on IAMs Natural Balance I think. Riley is 2yrs and 3 mths and ways roughly 65lbs

Everythings normal, except for eating.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Lauren, it's really hard to tell. Annabelle did not eat here bfst or dinner Sunday but I wasnt worried about her as she was drinking and did eat her treats - she was also exhausted from playing hard with her cousins all Friday and Saturday and therefore slept most of Sunday, by Monday am she was eating her food again.

Riley may just have an upset tummy/24 hr bug, but not knowing Riley it would be hard to venture a guess why.

If Riley is acting different than normal and not eating, I'd most likely be making a trip to the Vet to be on the safe side, or at least calling the Vet.

Keep us posted

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks Mary.

I think I'll just keep a close eye on him today and if he still hasnt eaten by tomorrow I'll take him in.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Are you able to take his temperature? It is most important to notice if he is drinking water. If he is not, I wouldn't delay a trip to the vet.

If he is drinking, and peeing and pooping then you at least know his system is working and he may just have an upset stomach. If that is the case, maybe it is time for some cooked chicken, rice and some yogurt. Soft foods that are easy on his stomach.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I cook a chicken breast by poaching it (cooking in water on low heat until it is done). I chop it up and I would give a tablespoon at a time. You can give the same amount of the cooked rice mixed with the chicken...even a little of the broth from the chicken mixed in.

Again, I would try a tablespoon of yogurt (Tanner won't eat plain so he get vanilla).

Let us know if he will eat the chicken mixture....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The foods still cooking, but I took Riley out to play and go to the bathroom, and that went fine. And once I got him inside I offered him a treat and he ate it!! I'll still try the food, but atleast he's eating something!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Glad to hear Riley seems to be doing alright, hopefully he will eat the chicken and rice

PS - we were feeding AB Iams natural also until Kristin posted the the link rating dog foods - it only rated a 1star out of 6 stars - I was shocked, we had always fed our dogs Iams :shock: we switched over to 5 star Canidae all life stage and AB is loving it

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
That's great!...I would try the soft food and see how it goes. Tanner sometimes gets an upset stomach and will stop eating for a couple of meals. I don't worry unless he throws up, stops drinking water and generally looks sick...or has a fever.

My neighbor has a doodle and hers does the same thing. She just gives him rice for a couple of days. That wouldn't work for Tanner as he doesn't like rice.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I ended up just giving Riley some rice and he wouldnt try it so I put a chicken gravy on it and gobbled it all up!!

Yeah, I saw the thing on IAMs after I bought it, so we'll be switching to something else once he finishes this bag. Thanks :)

Thanks Everyone :)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm glad he's eating now!

Moses is a picky eater. Came to me very thin and I really have had to work at putting and keeping weight on him. What usually works here if all else fails is to pour chicken broth on his dry food. He will chow down like a pro when he gets that. I think like us, most have favorite foods they can't resist... so try to decide what theirs is and use it for those times when they just don't want the usual fare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts