Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riley is so sick of his food. He wont eat it but we atleast want him to finish the rest of the bag before we switch. Sometimes he goes a day and a half before he eats because he hates it so much. Is there anything that we can put on his food to make it more appealing??

·
Registered
853 Posts
I second what movistar said, and, I wanted to add that I put a couple big spoonfuls of cottage cheese on Doc's food in the morning and that gets him interested in eating. (He loves it! :D )

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks guys. We will probably start mixing new with the old. We tried chicken broth, first he loved it, now he doesnt care...

Riley is doing great. You can't even tell except for the missing fur!

·
Registered
1 Posts
mixing food

My labradoodle (Molly-girl or 'baby dog' -65 lbs) and goldendoodle (Murphy or 'big boy' -55lbs) are both 18 months old. I buy a lot of dog food.

Their 'base' food is IAMs large breed....I get the biggest bag I can get into the cart and buy when I have good coupons and stock up.

Then I look for coupons for other dry food 5,10,20 lbs whatever. Always a really good premium dog food..just not IAMS. That's the fill in food.

I keep a large bin that I put the weekly food in and fill it up 1/2 with the IAMS and 1/3 with the fill in kind and mix it up really good. And I use it all week. Sometimes we supplement morning or evening feedings with scrabbled eggs and such but only when it's 'dog appropriate' and we have leftovers. I don't cook special for them. (Well I do make them dog cookies but that's another subject.)

My dogs have NEVER not eaten their food and never seem bored with it. In fact, when I switch out the fill in food for a new bag they think they're getting something new and special.

Good luck with yours...my recommendation is keep 'em guessing but don't mess up their tummies.

·
Registered
177 Posts
lauren46 said:
Ok thanks guys. We will probably start mixing new with the old. We tried chicken broth, first he loved it, now he doesnt care...

Riley is doing great. You can't even tell except for the missing fur!
Glad he's on the mend now :)

Bella is exactly the same with food, she's only allowed one type of food because of her illness and she hates it beyond belief :(

A few weeks back the vet got us to begin mixing in a new biscuit so she had two flavours. It was great for a week or so but now she's bored of that but we have no more options to offer her.

We have begun to cheat by mixing a little amount of tuna or chicken in with it to tempt her to eat, now she licks the good stuff and spits biscuits back on the floor :roll:

One trick that does work is filling her kongs with her food and freezing it, she loves them! and we sneakily get food into her that way 8) Some days she lives on kongs alone.

Another is to cut a slit into a tennis ball, fill it with the biscuits and let Riley have fun getting them out. Bella reacts better to puzzles and games filled with food than just putting it into a bowl!

But then our dog is weird anyway :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jamie! I will start with the tennis ball. I never thought of sticking things inside of his tennis ball toy... Thanks Jamie
fdmurray we might try that. Thanks. I had never really thought about doing that but we'll do what it takes to get him to eat! Thanks!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts