Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we've all been wrapped up in all the technical things that go along with being a breeder, as far as how much $$$ we as breeders have to put into being able to do this, and lots of ups and downs with litters parents etc. And these issues are very important as well, but I also think that we need a more positive response to what it is like to be a breeder!

So as for me, breeding is very enjoyable and also very rewarding. Knowing that we as breeders have done everything possible to produce healthy and happy puppies, and being able to provide wonderful homes for them and also for the puppy buyers as well, they have a love and enjoyment that lasts forever. When I get updates from my puppy owners with new pictures as they grow, and lots of wonderful information on how they are doing, that makes it all worth it!!!! And I do try to keep in touch with all of them. A lifetime support from us, is very much needed and appreciated from everyone involved. :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
gsmagoo2 said:
I think we've all been wrapped up in all the technical things that go along with being a breeder, as far as how much $$$ we as breeders have to put into being able to do this, and lots of ups and downs with litters parents etc. And these issues are very important as well, but I also think that we need a more positive response to what it is like to be a breeder!

So as for me, breeding is very enjoyable and also very rewarding. Knowing that we as breeders have done everything possible to produce healthy and happy puppies, and being able to provide wonderful homes for them and also for the puppy buyers as well, they have a love and enjoyment that lasts forever. When I get updates from my puppy owners with new pictures as they grow, and lots of wonderful information on how they are doing, that makes it all worth it!!!! And I do try to keep in touch with all of them. A lifetime support from us, is very much needed and appreciated from everyone involved. :D
How nice of you to point out your appreciation of the owners ........
Your kind words make choosing you as a a breeder a no brainer.
Cheers, nice to see this appreciation you have of your buyers...............

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
TRINA I think we need that positive thought stated and i know my breeder is always soooo happy when she gets a call and/or a card with picture of a previous doodle. It makes her week!

And till today I didn't realize, my breeder gets to hear about Max, Peanut, and Beau almost daily. :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's wonderful that your breeder here's from you daily. I know that makes her extremely happy, and knowing that you are happy with your dogs, will keep her to breeding to produce such quality, healthy pups for others as well.

To me it's always a positive an important thing to be able to stay in touch with your breeder!!! :D

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver's breeder and I stay in touch .
She loves to receive pictures and updates
about him and always has very kind words to say about how happy she is that Denver has a home with us................

Here is a note from her that I cherish...........

Hi Sue:
I just visited your photo gallery. I have to say that it brought tears to my eyes! Your Denver has an obviously wonderful life with you!
Thank you,
Cynthia

·
Registered
558 Posts
gsmagoo,
I here ya talking....we so love getting updates and pics of our lil pups all grown up...It is a gift when ever anyone takes the time to send us a photo
( we received many xmas photo's) this year...
Then there are a few who never email you anything ....then I worry about that puppy like crazy...this is the part I don't like...

We get so attached to these pups ..is it bad? can you ever get too attached?

My 13 are starting to run around outdoors in the back yard...its all fenced in but Monet has a secret hole she has dug for herself, ..so far the pups aren't that brave to wonder that far....yet.....better go fill in that hole....
time to let em all out to tinkle again....

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
gsmagoo2,
I'm glad to see the positive points of breeding brought up too.
If it weren't fun and rewarding NONE of us would do it! It IS a lot of work and responsibility... but you get paid back in puppy kisses and wonderful new dog loving friends... how can you beat that?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Tink,
I just wanted to say that I love love love your web site....
It is very nice to read through your Blog too & see what all your puppy owners are saying, great feedback ! We should do that for our web site...
You did mention on your site that any breeder should be able to tell you which pup would be a good match for them...well..We are having issues with that....when the people come to visit they will ask which is more laid back or which is more aggressive...

We are finding that on certain days one is the aggressor and then on other days that same dog will be laid back...so hard to place a "label" on the outgoing one or shy one since all seem to have the same temp's occuring just at different times of the day lol...

That is a challenge we find ourselves tangled in....sure there are a few that seem to roam about a bit more so we may say that one is more independent and likes the adventure of exploring more etc... but we do find it a challenge to place labels on ea pup.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Thanks Martha, It's so nice to get feedback on my site. I have put a lot of time and effort into it. It has absolutely been my most valuable tool in getting my dogs seen. Even now with no pups to sell, I am averaging just over 70 page views per day and building my waiting list for pups through it.

I find that I've been quite successful so far in determining the personalities of my pups for specific buyers. Some are more like their Lab mom... more pushy and energetic and others are more like their poodle dad who is extremely laid back and seems not to get excited by anything. Maybe I've just been lucky, but the updates so far support that people have been getting the personality type they were looking for, so I hope that continues. I do spend a large amount of time with my pups. Being able to be home with them full time really helps in that respect. Now that I have an empty nest, it's not uncommon for me to just watch the pups for a few hours each day. They're so cute and interesting in their particular differences, that I never get bored with it. Even with 12 pups in the last litter I got to know which were more alpha personalities and such since they established their pecking order and I simply went by that.

When the woman who helped to build my site suggested that we do it in a Blog format I was a bit hesitant... but that has made it SO easy for me to really personalize and update it and to allow others to post to me on it that I would absolutely tell anyone else starting one to try it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Tink,
I was just reading on your "BLOG" page at the bottom under the topic
......................"Why do pups cost so much?"..................................

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS "AMEN TO THAT" SO TRUE SO TRUE!
I really am starting to get annoyed at the preconceived idea's that people have about the cost of our pups and then say we had 13 in our litter...WOW THATS A LOT OF CASH...
.............................so well written TINK!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Thanks again Martha!
I can be wordy on my site... yet I'm of the mind that most issues arise out of misunderstanding, and people can't know things they haven't been told. So I've tried to address some very basic things that might seem too elementary to some, but for those new to the subject, will hopefully help them to better understand. Having a blog has allowed me to do that.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I think for me it is the little wagging tails and running around under my feet. Then the calls and emails from the families and how much they love the puppy/dog and how it has fit into their family so well, those make it worth it on the bad days.

I never try and convince people not to breed but only try and warn them about the ups and downs and that sometimes you don't make a lot of money. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts