Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
DH and I were discussing places for retirement this weekend. We both LOVED Scottsdale, AZ when we lived there because it has a great climate MOST of the year and it's a resort area so there were always new restaurants to try and there was always a feeling of 'vitality' in the air...like you are on vacation all the time! DH LOVED how things were all close by, like shopping, restaurants, parks...
The one BIG downside for me was that I MISSED the ocean.
So, any suggestions for areas where we could get the above items and still be close to an ocean? By close, I mean within 3 hours, but the closer the better....
And please chime in with all your own ideas for where YOU would like to retire and why!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
DH and I are seriously planning on retiring to Sun City Hilton Head in 18 months. DH leaves next week to meet with realtors.

Reasons - Affordable (were not talking a huge place...probably 1400 sq. ft.)

Close to Ocean - Less than 15 minutes

Close to Savannah, Beaufort SC, Charleston...Great food, culture.

50 miles of bike paths...lots of rivers for fishing....surf fishing.

Husband is from Charleston, SC so it is going home to him.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Annie, THAT is soo funny because Charleston was somewhere I mentioned this weekend... But Hilton Head would be EVEN closer to the ocean! We have never been there...Is it resort-like year round or does it get extra quiet in the Winter? (Like our Jersey Shore does.)
Keep us posted on your search! 1400 square feet sounds perfect!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Linda, you are not actually on Hilton Head Island which does get busy in the summer. You actually are in Bluffton, SC. It is very quiet in the winter. The advantage is lots of wonderful facilities..like the bike paths, paid for by tourists but which you can enjoy year round.

We are looking to buy a previously owned stand alone house. DH is going to look at the new ones as well...there are some great deals being offered on some of the new ones.

The thing that made it even thinkable is that they are dog friendly and have a dog park.....otherwise DH would never have got me to even consider it.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
We already have our summer retirement home: Eagle Lake CA.

A water dog's paradise!

View from our deck.

Wide open spaces where dogs can run free!

The house my husband built!

Dh doesn't like cold winters and would still like to find a winter house somewhere--Scottsdale sounds interesting!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
After being away from family for going on 7 years, we're finding more and more that going "back home" is where we'll probably end up. Of course, we have a "few" years before we have to think about it. We once thought that the Smokey Mountains area would be more to our liking, but now it looks more like the Ohio Valley.

I'd like a place where I could walk to where I have to go instead of getting into a car to go anywhere. I've always missed living in town, but Dave is country boy, so it could be a toss up as to where we'll end up.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Wilmington NC. It is one the coast so the ocean is right there. Wilmington is considered a beach town but has tons of really good resturants. The weather is great....there are lots of activites for dogs (dog park open everyday and throughout the year there are organized activities dog jog, dog jam etc where you can go with your pooch). If you want culture and warm weather (most of the year) and ocean you should look to the Carolinas....I came from OH and I love it here. (PS if you are going to visit Charleston do not go the first weekend in Apr....the bridge run is that weekend and 50,000+ people run this race every year.....the town is packed....fun race though)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I hopefully will retire on Harkers Island NC one day later in life

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Oh! This is a great thread! I need all the info I can get too! We wanna move! But I NEED an ocean in my life too.....since I've never had one! It's a dream!
Annie....so far yours rocks! That's where we've thought of too!

Then...we thought of Jackonsville Fla. Close to Amelia Island...........Georgia.....oceans.........and it's an upcoming town. Anyone know about Jacknsonville..pro's..cons?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
One of the places that Dave's company wanted to send us was Jacksonville. I loved it! It was out of the tourist traps, but still had all the sunshine and water. We were told that they do have some kind of winter weather, but it's rare to have snow. The city has never been hit by hurricanes, so that leaves some to wonder if it ever will. (I didn't believe that, but you never know). We looked at some houses and it seemed to us as a little pricey, but then we didn't look seriously. I was only there twice, once to look at the area and once to house hunt. Then the company changed it's mind and we didn't go there. Stupid people.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
wish i could be of help but all i know is OUTER BANKS NC and also
the Longboat key/Sarasota area of gulf of mexico

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
growing up as small child this is the beach i walked numerous times
with my grandaddy listening to his stories of what life was like
before i was born
As well as him running and living at the lighthouse and my dad running the draw bridge at night with a crow on his shoulder hahhahaaa
YES i had 4pet crows i helped raise hahhahaaa

BEACH on one part of the island

CAPE LOOKOUT

HOW could I NOT want to retire here :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts