Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sampson loves car rides!
He is fine if someone drives with you and he will lie down on the passenger's lap...

But if you're alone... Climbing on the drivers lap when the car is in mostion is not good!
I already have had to pull over a few times...

So my question is, does anyone use those doggie seat belt/harness things? Or should I just take some bungee cords, netting, or something and block off the back seat so he has to stay put back there?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver has had a car harness since he was a baby
I was always scared of having to stop suddenly and sending
my baby flying through the car so I will always harness him.
I cannot remember the make but I have the kind that goes over his
head and around the tummy and then plugs into the seat belt.............

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good, I was worried Sam might fly through the windsheild in a crash as well.

Out of curiousity, how much lead does the harness give him? Could he still lie down on our laps. I ask because that is the first thing he does when he gets in the car.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The harness and seat belt I use is made to click right in the car's buckle. It keeps Cinnamon in her seat, not on mine. Now that's she's older, I probably wouldn't have to worry about her wandering the car while I'm driving, but for safety issues, I still use it.

You wouldn't let a child sit on your lap while you are in the car, so don't let your dog. If he's in the front passenger seat and the air bag deploys, you could seriously injure Sammy or worse. If he's anywhere in the car and you have an accident, your fault or not, it could send him right through the windshield.

Be safe, keep him restrained when in the car. You don't have to use a seat belt, a car barrier works well too, but a seat belt is cheaper and easier!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love this forum! I did not know such a thing existed.

I took a 4 hour road trip to visit my sister a couple weekends ago, and brought my 2 kids and Holly (4.5 month old doodle) along. It was the trip from he**. Holly HATES the car and almost always throws up. I tried giving her Cerenia from the vet-- but she she threw that up before we even got in the car! :(

SO I had the bright idea that if Holly rode up front with me, she'd be close to me and less scared. Like you said, Holly ended up in my lap, with her head over the armrest in the middle drooling all over the kids in the backseat. I was driving down I-81 listening to "OOOH GROSS DROOL! UGH!' from the kids, and had a crazy doodle nudging her way into my lap. I eventually had to pull over and tie her leash into the back of the car (I have a Subaru Forester) which is where she usually rides. But she didn't throw up, so maybe being up front helped?

I gotta get one of these harness things for the next trip-- they sound great! That way Holly can ride shotgun and stay put in her seat! :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totally agree that Sam isn't safe that way.
We're gonna go look for one of those!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I bought our harnasses from PETSMART and their fleece lined

my doodles can lie down, sit or stand up....yes the harnass buckles into the seatbelt thingy.

on rare occaisions i do have a dog canvas cover for the back seat but you can't use the harnass with it :cry:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I use an old quilt to cover the back seat. I cut out a hole for the seatbelt to stick through. It's also washable.

I use a nylon harness from the regular dog leash isle. It's lighter and cheaper. It's made out of the same material as a leash, so it should be strong enough to hold your dood in place.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Car restraint

I bought Brinkley a walking harness that came with a seat belt attachment off of the internet. The cost was $20 for the harness - which is really nice - and the seat belt attachment. I am not sure - can I name the web site on this site? Let me know and I can repost with the web site name. It came very quickly in the mail, was correct to size and very well made. Worth the $20.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts