Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning...

My family and I are ready to adopt a dog into our home. After much research, we have decided that a Labradoodle would suit our needs perfectly. We own a house and have a yard, we live about 100 yards from a popular dog park (where I have met a Goldendoodle and a Labradoodle. Very sweet souls..). I am a stay at home mom, so I would be home with the pup most of the day, and I am committed to enrolling the pup into training/behavior classes. We are very motivated; we love this breed.

There is, unfortunately one major obstacle: cost. At this time, we are not in a financial position to spend $2000+, on a pup, which is what I routinely see as the cost of a pup from breeders that I judge to be ethical.

I understand the cost that goes into producing a litter of quality pups, as a friend of mine is a fine breeder of PWDs; I know the cost of proper genetic testing, etc all factor into the final sale price of a pup. I also understand that what might seem like a high up-front cost now might prevent future vet costs.

I guess my question is twofold:
1) I do see breeders out there who charge much less for their pups. Could this be a regional factor? I live on the East coast, and my searches so far have been to breeders that are within a reasonable proximity to my house - that means I'm looking in NY, NJ, CT mainly. If I look outside a driving distance from my house (meaning that the pup would have to be flown here), that's where I see the prices start to come down. So is the cost driven by region?

I have read the entire sticky thread here on this forum started by Jac that discusses BYBs and PMs. How does one distinguish between a BYB and a small-scale ethical hobbyist, especially when one sees a varying range of prices for a pup?

Or, is the cost in place simply to weed out or exclude potential buyers who may not be 100% committed to the breed? I am totally committed; yet this cost is prohibitive to me and my family.

2) Plain and simple: Are there any reputable breeders out there that do NOT charge upwards of $2000 for a pup? We would provide a wonderful and loving home environment for a dog; must we be penalized because we can't spend 2K??

I hope I don't get flamed for my honest question...thank you all for your time and any information you can provide, or can at least steer me in the right direction. Much appreciated.

Sincerely,

L.A.B.

G

·
Welcome L.A.B.! I have never seen anyone get flamed on this forum! We're a fun, happy group who love our doodles and think it's great when someone else wants one, too! I think you have well thought out questions! A similar thread was just started by Kristin:
http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3196
It seems that not only doodle owners, but many of the breeders on this forum agree that $2500 is too much to spend on a dog. I do think region has a lot to do with it. In our area EVERYTHING costs more, food, vet care etc. And, of course, price is set also by what people are willing to pay.
That said, you do have the option of having a puppy shipped to you. Many breeders now think it's best for them to choose the puppy that will fit best with your family, so even if you bought a puppy close by, you may not get to choose him. Or, you could plan a road trip to purchase a puppy. Close by, I have heard good things about JerseyDoodles. I have not had any experience with them though, so you would want to do some research on your own. I see from their website that it looks like genetic testing is done, my only concern was the refund of HALF the puppy cost if there was a genetic problem. That said, the policy is spelled out and their prices look reasonable and the testing has been done on parents. She also has an older doodle available at a discount.
http://www.jerseydoodles.com/

Nancy from Doodlesville in West VA has also gotten rave reviews. She also has some older puppies available at a discount. The road trip would be longer, but still doable.
http://www.doodlesville.net/

And don't forget Doodle Rescues. Shannon has an absolutely adorable Doodle that she is fostering now. Alas, she is in Illinois, so some type of travel would be involved there.
http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3187

I know if I was looking for another doodle, I would purchase from one of our wonderful breeders on the board. I can tell they care, their puppies are beautiful, they are extremely knowledgeable, they all offer excellent warranties and they know the importance of health testing. AND they are NICE PEOPLE :lol:

Good Luck in your search! Take your time and I know the right puppy or dog will come along!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
You can also try petfinders.com . In the description, type in poodle, and it comes up with all the mixes. It's where I found my Miko and she is an angel...with bent wings, that is! :wink:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Different Breeder Charge Differently

I know i dont charge 2000.00
Rarer colors are higher Prices normally depend on sex color size and generation
if you are flexible in color size sex etc
In fact depending on the age of you chidren ,i have some older pups reduced

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have recieved three out of 4 of my dogs via airlines, and it was not half as expensive or as difficult as I thought it would be. I know of many breeders who have first generation (F1's) and F1B Labradoodles and Goldendoodles who do not charge $2000 and they are wonderful breeders. I breed F1B Goldendoodles and test both hips and eyes, and offer a two year guarantee and my puppies are well under the $2000 price.
Good luck with your puppy searching
Terri lynn

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thank you ALL for your warm and helpful replies, for the link to the other thread, and the suggestions.

Maybe all hope is not lost, then.. :D I will start looking at the breeders on this thread, forum, etc, and see what I come up with. Again, thank you - you guys are a wonderful resource to have while I'm going through this process. I feel a lot more encouraged now.

M&Tdoodles said:
BUT we don't ship and have found the other breeders we know in the area refuse to ship also...
Hi - thanks for your reply. What has made you and others decide not to ship? I'm learning as I go...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Different Breeder Charge Differently

Doodlesville said:
if you are flexible in color size sex etc
In fact depending on the age of you chidren ,i have some older pups reduced
I'm very flexible on color, size, sex. My only requirement is that it be a no shedding generation. How old are the pups? Are they still easily trainable if they're a little older? -

Molly said:
I know of many breeders who have first generation (F1's) and F1B Labradoodles and Goldendoodles who do not charge $2000 and they are wonderful breeders. I breed F1B Goldendoodles and test both hips and eyes, and offer a two year guarantee and my puppies are well under the $2000 price.
Good luck with your puppy searching
Terri lynn
Are all of these breeders you know in Canada? Would there be anything special I'd need to know if I were to go with a Canadian breeder and bring a dog into the US? Do you have a website for your breedings?

·
Registered
197 Posts
There are many great breeders in both US and Canada (most of them I know are on this forum or similiar forums). I find that the breeders who are chatting on these forums all have similar goals (to produce healthy pups, from tested parents, who are great companions). I am located in Canada, but there are many excellent breeders in the States as well. My male GD came from the states and I had no difficulties shipping him. My other two dogs came from Ontario and Alberta with no difficulties. I have also shipped puppies as well.

You should be able to find many great breeders just on this forum.
My web page can be viewed at
scgoldendoodle.tripod.com
[email protected]

I am currently working on adding pictures of my current litter, so they should be up soon!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Hi there

All pups available are on the web site, i do have some older dogs not posted
visit our web page at www.doodlesville.net
complete the application there and we can go from there i can help you pick a pup that would fit well in your family after i get the info i need
we are appx 4hrs fro NYC
Lots of info on the site that will help you in your search for you perfect pup and breeder

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :) There are many helpful breeders on this forum and I'm sure you will find the pup of your dreams from one of us. I also have my available puppies posted on my website if you'd like to take a look, just click on the www at the bottom of this post.

Good luck in your search and you have decided on a wonderful breed :) We look forward to you joining us on the forum and hearing of your doodle adventures :wink:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Nancy, go to your profile and where it says website, just type in your URL and it should put a www on your postings. If not, let me know and I will figure it out :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Well Nancy, you're not blind. I couldn't find where to update it at either :? I will get ahold of Mark and get back with you.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
welcome to ellabee! (LAB?) cute name too by the way!

I think honesty about what a family can, or will pay for a Doodle is part of the whole picture! So no, you won't get flamed here. Many families

The fact of the matter is that there are lots of less-than-reputable breeders that don't look into whether their dogs are really good candidates for breeding just to turn a buck, and those that do choose breeding dogs carefully pay more for them!

Also, in my research the cost of ANY non-shedding breed is generally higher than Labs and Goldens, in general for pets. That is news for some people, so I thought I'd throw that in.

We aren't in the $2000 price range either, and we've got a litter of Standard, stately f1b puppies due in mid-April, so you are very welcome to contact me, either with the links to pm, email or my website.... And I am especially fond of the f1b generation because of the number of puppies that haven't shed for their new families.

It does seem that there is a reality to different regions having a price range, and we have placed puppies in the Northeast, probably because there are more expensive puppies in that region.

Shipping a puppy has gotten better and better, because the airlines know there's a big business there, but I have been glad to offer DELIVERY of our puppies and that is especially nice because it's an opportunity for me to meet our Doodle Puppy's new family, and affords them a chance to meet me. I love it when that works out!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Maureen!

Thank you for chiming in with an answer! I actually have seen your website already. Somehow in my research, I happened upon it. It's very informative.

I appreciate your input......:)

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Happy Update!!

Since starting this thread, I've been in contact with Diane (dixiedi), and today I placed a deposit on one of her pups...YAY! Can you tell I'm a bit excited?

She has been wonderful, her references are top-notch. I'm reslly pleased with my decision. Sooooo, now it's a long 4-week wait until these guys are ready to go!!!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts