Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking with a breeder - actually on the phone! :wink: and the topic of rescues came up. I'm hoping Shannon and others check out this topic because I think I am naive.

Is it true, or is it possible that rescue organizations PURCHASE puppies at auctions and then sell them under the guise of placement?

Is this true and I'm blissfully naive? Or is this not the case?

I admit that the Great Dane rescue organization rudely encroaching on Nancy's website and naming got me thinking about this sad possibility. Also someone mentioned rescuing a Doodle and the "shelter" was doubling its fee for the Doodle, compared to other mixed breeds, calling the Doodle a "purebred" and justifying it that way.

I want to shine a little light altho I'm hoping this is a myth not reality.

G

·
This rescue group does attend auctions to purchase (save) dogs. I am not sure how widespread the practice is:

http://www.puppymillrescue.com/
"Puppymillrescue has attended this auction undercover and purchased dogs from it, one Maggie with a broken leg. View the horrendous conditions and watch the breeders! laugh at the USDA inspector!."

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow!!

This is so chartiable in one sense, but another part of me wonders if this is not turning rescuing organizations into customers. <???>

Anyone else know of this practice?

Shannon? You are right in this world, doing so much good. I hope you'll share about this!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes, I know of a situation (don't know the name of the rescue group) when a BUNCH of Labradoodles were purchased at auction in CA.
I, too, have very mixed feelings...you all know how much I love these dogs and that I support finding good homes for every living creature...so I hope that you will understand what I am trying to say and not think that I am being greedy.
I agree with what Maureen says...when rescue groups buy puppies at auction, the "bad" breeders get what they want, $$, so why would they stop breeding?
What this does, unfortunately, is takes the puppy mill pups and places them in homes but the downside is that it makes it that much harder for good breeders to find homes for their dogs, especially in the area of these rescues.
In essense, this practice rewards the millers and punishes the good breeders.
I don't know that there is an acceptable answer...and I believe that there are enough homes for all of the pups...still...I wonder just how much good this type of rescues do ... in the long run.

G

·
I personally think it is a terrible practice. Like Jac, I agree that the unethical, bad breeders are able to sell their substandard puppies to the rescue groups who then turn around and adopt or sell them to unsuspecting , well meaning people.
I 'adopted' Bella from a rescue group as a puppy. At $400, she cost more than the other dogs and puppies. I was unable to get an answer to how they acquired the litter of puppies. At the time, I was very naive and did not press the issue. I just assumed it was an accidental breeding or a breeder who decided they could not handle the selling side for whatever reason (illness?).
My thinking now tends to be that the litter was from a puppy mill that could not sell the black puppies to a puppy store so the rescue group got them (paid for, donated?). Black puppies are not big sellers. (Not sure why, I think they are gorgeous!)
Anyway, Bella has problems that lead me to think 'puppy mill'. She had an umbilical hernia. (Again, I was very naive and did not notice this when I adopted her.) She has severe hip dysplasia in both hips.
I notified the rescue group of these issues, mainly so they could warn the other owners who adopted puppies from the same litter. I never received a response.
I guess if she was the result of an accidental breeding and developed these problems I could chalk it up to bad luck.
If she came from a puppy mill and I unwittingly contributed to the welfare of one of these places that are STILL in business breeding unhealthy puppies and subjecting them to a lifetime of pain, that makes me angry and disillusioned.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
personally

i think it is a horrible practice and yes it does happen,

In fact i had a breeder on the "recommended breeder list" email me and want to purchase MY pups to resell,,i informed the lists moderator and nothing was done, personally i think brokering of ANY kind is just not right

As far as that rescue group using my kennel name, just goes to show you what lengths they will go to place unwanted dogs ...No class no class atall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts