Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious about this posting for 4--7week old labradoodles. The adoption fee is $500 per puppy. It sounds more like an ad than a need to find a home for these "rescue" puppies. What makes them rescue dogs? Someone abandoned them? You rarely see an adoption fee of $500. Seems odd.
http://www.poomixrescue.com/#labradoodles

Just being a nosy parker...

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi...thanks for posting this...

It isn't uncommon for rescue people to "cash in" on the demand for doodles, often they do sell them in order to help pay for their programs and care for dogs that won't bring in any money...so normally I don't have a problem with shelters asking for money. In this case, however, judging by the last line...this is an agency with a double standard.
While they don't want breeders to profit from Labradoodle puppies, they have no problem profiting themselves. Sheesh.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I do a lot of volunteer work with Show Me Pets (501c3) in St. Louis. Occasionally we'll end up with highly adoptable animals, for example, we bought a 5 y/o retired dachshund puppy mill breeder at an auction who just happened to be pregnant. The puppy mill breeder didn't know that the dog was pregnant or she wouldn't have been put up for auction. The three puppies were full long-haired dapple dachshunds and their adoption fee was $300. Like Jac mentioned, this helps to offset the $500+ that we had to spend on the mother due to birth complications, necessary dental work and other medical needs that were neglected during her breeding years. Charging higher adoption fees on highly adoptable animals is a great way for legitimate rescue groups to break even.

·
Registered
164 Posts
hmmmm...Ive never heard of a rescue dog for $500!!! :shock: Our local shelter has a fee of $100 to adopt a rescued dog or cat. That cost covers the spay or neuter and shots. But $500 seems like a scam to me!

And I believe when a person (for whatever reasons) needs to find a new home for their pet they should advertise "free to a good home"...not try and get money off them.

But im lost here anyway...I never know what Im talking about! lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
If it is an individual, definately!! It could very well be someone trying to sell puppies under the guise of "adopting".

$500 is quite high, IMO. There are a couple of golden retriever rescues in St. Louis that will sometimes charge high adoption fees like that, but, they also get a lot of older goldens with significant medical needs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts