Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do you trim it?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to take my sheltie to the groomer about every 6-8 weeks....I bathed him myself in between.....but never trimmed him up, or clipped his nails.....I would have his nails trimmed only every so often in between the full groom....I was scared then and still am to do nails. I may try again.....as I, too, one time~ a long time ago~ on my Irish Setter, caused her to bleed and that was it for me!!!
I 'll be brave and try again. It does save money to do all this myself and I really didn't like the "do" the groomer gave her the other day.

I have heard from home tonight ( I am out of town) and I think Coco was fed twice again at dinner.......I am having them walk her longer tomorrow and cut her amounts of food back some....
I can't figure out why they can't get on the same page with that. :cry: :shock: :roll: :cry:
Everything else seems to be going fine and she is getting tons of attention, probably more than usual because I am gone....at least, more from the rest of the family, anyway. That's good for all of them.

So, I am still conflicted about how to clean/pluck, trim ear hairs....I know the pros and cons discussed in another topic area....but I haven't decided what I think yet. How about dew claws??????? Have them removed??[/b]

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Jane...go back and edit your poll ....you need a DO NEITHER answer---nevermind hahahhah while i was typing my reply you did just that!! hahahahhaa high five to ya!!

i leave the hair in ears alone, clean them out weekly with vinegar and water.

max's nails haven't needed trimming due to mexican tile floors keep them worn down. peanut is another story and i'll have petsmart do it for $7.

both my dooodles have their dew claws. And this is usually done between 3-5 days old on puppies. as it can be painful later on. This topic is like trying to say who came first the chicken or the egg. both have good pros and cons. So if my breeder didnt' remove them...i am not going to.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great thanks!! I will go back and edit the poll.....

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, geesh I read yours wrong....I did edit it with that option while you were typing.....

I think I will leave the ears alone and just clean them.
But...am curious what more folks do.
The dew claws can be a problem for them I have heard.....but then why do they have them? Never did get that one.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
jane ----for now i only trim max's beard when too long as i slip on the wet floors then, just did a bang trim as some of the hair was goign into his eyes, his feet if too long, his stumpy tail, and rear end :roll:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, I do the same as AnnMarie. My dogs have dew claws. If you remove them they MUST be done before 5 days or don't do it until they are put out for something else, like spay/neuter.

I don't clip ear hair either. If it keeps your dog's ears moist and they are prone to infection, then ask your vet to show you how. I prefer to clean their ears regularly and clip the hair once in a while, but it keeps things out...like twigs and such.

Nails are tough if your dog has black nails and you can't see the quick. Soem people use a grinder, drummel.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
If you don't remove dew claws then they need to be watched and trimmed regurlarly as they can curve into paw. It was a jagged dew claw (on the other doodle that he was playing with) that sliced Tanner's side open at his daycare.(':cry:')

1 - 7 of 7 Posts