Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that Gunner (16 months) is depressed. My huband even noticed it (and he is not at all intuitive when it comes to Gunner or dogs in general). Gunner came from a crazy environment with 4 kids and he ran around like a manica all day outside on electric fence.

Now he is with us and he is on leash outside , on his outside runner (with us outside with him), in the house with us or in his crate. (He was already crate trained when we got him) We have had him for one week.

Our neighbor rehomed her lab, Maggie, at the age of 2, and she said Maggie was depressed for 3 weeks when they first got her.

For now we are trying to help by providing a stable schedule including exercise, lots of TLC, and some short trips in the car to new, fun places (that always seems to perk him up)

It seems like many people got their doodles as puppies so rehome or rescue depression is not an issue. Has anyone else has experience with this and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again for all your help. Sorry I have been asking so many questions of you all, but neither my husband nor I have ever had a dog in our lives (only cats and horses), so we are brand new to all of this.

Sara

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think it's only natural to be a little confused and depressed when everything and everyone you know suddenly isn't there. I think an overload of love and stability will bring him around. In no time, he'll understand that you are his mama.

Doodles are kind, upbeat, sweet dogs so it's only a matter of time until Gunner is back to his old self.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
KGarro said:
I think it's only natural to be a little confused and depressed when everything and everyone you know suddenly isn't there. I think an overload of love and stability will bring him around. In no time, he'll understand that you are his mama.

Doodles are kind, upbeat, sweet dogs so it's only a matter of time until Gunner is back to his old self.
DITTO!!! Sounds like your doing all the right things, just give him some time!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Awe! A family with 4 gave him up? I think the family that had Lincoln had 2 children. Lincolns family supposibly just didnt have time for him however they also have a goldendoodle. I think he was either left outside with a antibark collar or inside crated. It was stated he never had free roam of their home. We adopted Lincoln last month when he was 14 months old. I THINK We have now had him for about 3 weeks. After a few days i thought he seemed a little sad and even now he is off and on about his food however he really does seem much happier over all. It shows with how he wants to cuddle , play with us and is by the boys side all the time. I think after a few weeks he is finally feeling at HOME because he is now slowly accepting some of our friends we see in our neighborhood too.

Im sure he knows he is MUCH MORE LOVED NOW! Its just change in general

Michele

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's reassuring to know we are doing what we can. He is eating and drinking regularly, but he has not wanted to play. I have only been able to get him to play fetch with me once. Sometimes he is not even interested in treats.

He absolutely wants to be with us all the time and wants to cuddle as much as possible.

I guess I just need patience and faith that he will come around with time.

Sara

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did see Gunner play fetch with his former owners. At least he would chase the toy. He did not exactly bring it back back to you or release it easily. :wink:

I'm wondering if his lack of play is that where he used to live there was constant outside distractions. He was in a busy city neighborhood so there were always kids around, other dogs, cars, strollers, folks on bikes or skateboards, etc. He was on invisible fence, but, in his mind, when he was racing up and down the yard he was chasing or playing with the people/vehicles going by. It's like he was constantly stimulated by his surroundings. Now is in on a quite 13 acre property in the country.

Also, he used to have free run. Now he is on a runner and has to get used to running in one plane, so to speak. He has about 80 feet of length with 20 feet of width to run in. I'm not sure he has that concept yet. I did get him top play fetch with me while on the runner once. We started with chasing a rawhide stick (which motivated him). Then after he ate the stick I switched over to the tennis ball and that worked for a little while.

I think there are probably lots of games we can teach him that he has never played. I should do some research on that.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sampson was a rescue and he was playful with the shelter staff as he had been there for over a month and warmed up to the women there.

When we brought him home, all he did was lay around like an old dog. He didn't play much and seemed depressed. But now, 6 months later he is much much better. We still notice times where he seems so slip back into a sad day until we take extra time and perk him up. But he has made great strides and it does get better!

This is what he used to do all day...

By aliciarose, shot with Canon PowerShot A560 at 2008-05-29

And he is an absolute velcro/cuddler dog.
He never leaves my side, always lying down on/next to me and following me even if I go to another room for 5 seconds he comes with.

G

·
I'm sure the change just makes them wonder what might be changing next. Once he is confident that he is staying and loved, he will be a changed dog! Just love him and give him time. He is not unhappy, just nervous.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
every dog is different some spring back right away , others just take a bit more time.

Max and Peanut were depressed since Memorial DaY weekend when Beau left to go to his new forever home w/sdruge. Just the past 2 days they're beginning to spring to life.
and yes mine for the 1st 5 days laid around sleeping most of the time and still stuck to me like glue 24/7, if i wanted to use the bathroom they cried pitifully if i didn't let them in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts