Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This May Actually work
Lets try it!!!!

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $1.30 PER GALLON.

This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this please.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy gas on a certain day' campaign that was going around last April or May!
It's worth your consideration. Join t he resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $ 4.20 a gallon by summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to 'hurt' ourselves by refusing to buy gas.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can Really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $2.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $3.69 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace...not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not! purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.

But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) .. and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THR EE MILLION consumers.
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!

(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 ! people.. .. Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!
Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $2.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Keep it going

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I absolutely refuse to ever buy from Exxon...they are consistently 10-30 cents higher than the other gas stations in our area. They opened some Quick Check and Wawa (convenience stores) gas stations around us and their prices are always lower than the name brand places.

I just filled up tonight...I don't know when we went up to $3.69 :shock: It was in the $3.40s just last week.

G

·
$3.85 here. It is jumping 40 cents overnight. :roll: That is absurd. I think they want it to be $4.00 nationwide by Memorial Day, Greedy oil companies.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I paid 3.89 today. So glad I live 2 miles from work and am a true homebody. I get gas about once a month, so I consider myself luckier than some of the people I work with. My boss drives about 75 miles round trip to work and she's really starting to feel the pinch.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
My boss drives about 75 miles round trip to work and she's really starting to feel the pinch.
wow...

we drive 35 miles round trip and now with softball started I'm driving even more. On game nights I have to make a trip home after work (for the doodles) and then back up north for our games. I am filling up about once every 5-6 days (I do have a small tank - it was $45 today to fill from near empty). Luckily my husband and I carpool to work so that definitely helps.

We are going on 3 long (at least what I consider long) driving trips this summer - that won't be pretty on the credit card bill :shock:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a better idea...why don't we unit and tell the idots in Washington...CONGRESS... that we would like to be oil dependant and stop buying from countries who hate us and would like to see us gone. Why don't we tell them we want to drill our own oil in ANWR as area in a region of the world NO ONE EVER GOES TO. Any area so remote no one would know we were drilling oil. An area that the Caribou we are protecting, rather then helping humans have adapted so well to oil drilling, they are literally thriving on it!
Between oil despoits in ANWR, off shore and Shale oil, we have enough oil to fuel our nation for approx. 250 years. 250 years, If we can't come up with an alternative fuel in that time, then, I guess we deserve to die. All I know is, if we don't drill and claim that oil, there will be wars over it eventually. The world is not going to let us sit on this and not harvest it. Oil is too precious to the entire world and we have enough to sustain ourselves and still insist that the world provide us with what they have. and then we have the audicity to tell them they should be produceing more for us! I'd jack the price up too it I were them. Something has to change and it has to be us. I love wild life too, but, I like heat and decent food prices and gas I can afford for my car and enough money in my pocket so I can go on vacation and buy the things I want and need. High oil prices affect all on this. Want lower gas prices....Dig in the US and provide for ourselves.

·
Registered
331 Posts
... I just drove by the gas station across the street from campus.... I'm not sure what company it is, but its not exxon or mobile..... 4.05 a gallon!!!! I'm so glad I filled up yesterday!!!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm gladder than ever that I'm no longer driving to work. $3.89 here tonight.
Am thinking I might have to get a cart and harness for my dogs if this keeps up. Heck, I'm only 2 miles from town! LOL

Was thinking about joining the Amish and getting a horse since the prices are really down on them, but with Hay at $4 a bale that's no better!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
charleygdog said:
I have a better idea...why don't we unit and tell the idots in Washington...CONGRESS... that we would like to be oil dependant and stop buying from countries who hate us and would like to see us gone. Why don't we tell them we want to drill our own oil in ANWR as area in a region of the world NO ONE EVER GOES TO. Any area so remote no one would know we were drilling oil. An area that the Caribou we are protecting, rather then helping humans have adapted so well to oil drilling, they are literally thriving on it!
Between oil despoits in ANWR, off shore and Shale oil, we have enough oil to fuel our nation for approx. 250 years. 250 years, If we can't come up with an alternative fuel in that time, then, I guess we deserve to die. All I know is, if we don't drill and claim that oil, there will be wars over it eventually. The world is not going to let us sit on this and not harvest it. Oil is too precious to the entire world and we have enough to sustain ourselves and still insist that the world provide us with what they have. and then we have the audicity to tell them they should be produceing more for us! I'd jack the price up too it I were them. Something has to change and it has to be us. I love wild life too, but, I like heat and decent food prices and gas I can afford for my car and enough money in my pocket so I can go on vacation and buy the things I want and need. High oil prices affect all on this. Want lower gas prices....Dig in the US and provide for ourselves.
amen!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Everywhere I go this is a hot topic... and rightly so.
What keeps racing through my mind though and doesn't seem to get a lot of mention is that I think we are all going to have to rethink the way we live. We've been so complacent so long... we take for granted that we NEED to have the bigger house (to heat and cool and pay taxes on) and need newer cars so we can all look successful... and NEED to live in a specific area even if it's a 45 min commute to work each day.

Sad as it is, we've allowed ourselves to be put in this position and now we need to suck it up and face reality.
Downscale... make being frugal the new "cool"!
Quit wanting more and be proud you know how to enjoy life with less. Refuse to be a victim of the economy and you'll be amazed what a few changes can do.

Just look how many SUV's and big pick ups are on the road... How many of us really NEED them? How many can really afford them or afford to drive and insure them?

Look at the type of food we buy... quick, unhealthy and expensive! If we'd go back to actually cooking... drag out those dusty crock pots and let a cheaper cut of meat cook while you're at work and you can still have a decent meal.

Make it a family project to see how much lower your next electricity or gas bill can go.

We need to help ourselves if we're to survive this and in the process we need to teach our kids so they don't repeat our mistakes.

**getting off my soapbox now**

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
TINK i Hear you ...
on the flip side there are some that can't sell their homes at all :shock:
values have dropped and they may owe more than the selling price
and/or they sell at a loss. I see this alot with trying to do mortgages in 23 states.
as well as in my own area...the house next door is going into foreclousure, the other one sold for $100K less, another one dropped $60K as the husband moved out of state, and the list goes on.

others that used to drive for a living are being hit big time, i.e.: sales and truckers.landscaper/contractors

while others now make less due to rising costs of gas and/or layoffs too and don't have anyone to carpool with or there is no bus or train transportation in their geographical area.
Others can' afford to sell and then take on another car payment for a smaller car.

we have one small car here but Dave uses that for work, i've chosen to try working from home now and take reduced income.

2000 SUV vs 1995 subaru 4 door insurance: about a $180difference yearly
so some days I take the SUV depending which highways i drive, knowing i'll survive an accident
both my daughter and I know what it's like to walk our of a car where people say" wow,the good lord spared you for a reason"

Even SAM's Club food prices have greatly risen as well which is more like buying wholesale prices ...not anymore.

HOWEVER TINK personally we drive less, rarely go out to eat, reduced our water bill by 70%, having special shades kept my gas heating prices almost the same for the past 4 years even with rising prices,

What some now do is calculate the cost of living on a montly basis and add it all up...then see if converting cars, homes, appliances etc is worth the overall new cost to old cost by doing comparisions of $ layout. as well as take a good look at their job.
in doing mortgages i am also a financial planner if requested and do a analysis

Lastly, sometimes if you can do the bank, pharmacy, post office, food shopping and gas in one place/mall like area ....its cheaper to pay the tad higher costs than paying the extra overalll layout of gas if you drove to each store you used to do.

BUT YES TINK there are some out there that don't take heed to all that is giong on and dont' seem to be hit yet by rising living costs yet.

So yes we all need to take a good look at our living standards in the US and see how we can make a change.

Back to drilling our own oil now :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
you hit on so many good points Tink! The main problem out here where we live is that so many people work in areas they would never want to live so they move further away to nicer areas. Luckily for us we found a nice area 25 min from work (we almost bought a house 40 min away - I am so happy we did not!).

We are off to North Carolina tomorrow - I'll report back next week with the differences in gas prices we find :) We know which area to fill up in Virginia from past years...

P.S. Any guesses as to how much airline tickets will go up?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Yikes!!!! On Wednesday, our local 'Valero' station was $4.04, and yesterday $4.14....I think it's high time that Connecticut and a lot of the other 'high cost' states, dumped the taxes and gave everyone a break!!! Put the toll roads back in on the bridges and major highways, and leave the taxes on the gas alone!!!!! :evil:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Filled up this morning on the way to work. Boston area gas prices are $3.93 for regular and $4.05 for mid grade. Its out of control.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Okay, my question is why isn't anyone ragging on the car companies since we had an oil shortage in the '70's and there have been 30+ years to make improvements to get better gas mileage??!!!!! The MPG for cars really hasn't changed too much. We knew at some point there would be a shortage of oil.

G

·
Airline tickets have doubled in price. I do a lot of traveling and I do get reimbursed but still...the prices are outrageous and airlines still are not on time. Bags are still lost all the time despite people now having to pay to bring baggage!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
To this day i remember the 70's Oil Crisis when my dad has a vending business
He and his employees depending on the plate number could only get gas on certain days. Which meant getting in line by 5am to wait for gas, then go off to work.

OH I went to HESS to gas up and use my debit/chg card as they have better gas prices.
I FORGOT they impose a $50 limit(w/cards) so now i have to finish filling my tank at the corner gas station as i didnt' have any cash on me today. :roll:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts