Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a VERY intelligent, awesome, cute black doodle that is 8 months old. Her name is Gibby (Named after Kirk Gibson since we graduated from MSU). My problem is that when we call her periodically, "she" decides if she wants to come . . . .I have read all the books and I just really need to get some advice on the come command to get her to come at "ALL" times.

THANKS!

Teresa

·
Registered
228 Posts
I can't wait to read the replies to this one! My Coal is the same. He is just a puppy but he definitely is the one that decides whether or not he will be coming over to me when I call. Makes me feel so unloved! haha

·
Registered
215 Posts
The reliable recall... it's a toughie! Summer comes when we call her because we make it worth while. We also very rarely use the word "come". In fact, we don't even say come unless we're calling her, we call it the "c" word! When she was younger, I used a 30 foot leash (inside and outside) and I would wait until she was distracted. Then I would say "Summer"... wait until she looks at me... "Come" and then make them come all the way to you and touch their collar, then praise them as if they had just barked the alphabet. We use leftover pieces of chicken as a treat. This way, they learn every time they come to you, they get a great reward. We do it at the dog park all the time also, and we never say "come" when we are leaving (or if she did something bad). We call her to us, and when she comes, she gets a treat and then is allowed to play again. Good luck!

Bridget and Summer

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, Bridget's advice is right on. My trainer said to never use the word "come" as a command if you think that there is any possibility that the dog won't. This is a commant that must be obeyed...and it is the toughtest one to teach.
Our trainer also used a long lead...50 foot, and we would take the best treat possible as a reward, because this is so important you want to give the best reward. You have someone stand far away from you and you hold the end of the lead, that person is doing fun things with the dog, playing ball, petting, treating...and you say "come" and if the dog ignores you, gently pull him in to you.
Continue this every day, very often and keep rewarding.
One major mistake is when you say "come" to end something fun. The dog will see this as a bad thing and decide it is not in his best interests to come to you...so once he comes to you, keep playing, put a lead on him and run around the yard a bit, treat and play...so that he isn't connecting the word with an end of the good times.
And, never, never, say "come" out of anger and discipline him when he gets to you. This is a tough one...but so important. He should always see coming to you as the best possible thing in the world.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the "Come" command help!

Thanks so much for the GREAT advice. I will give it a go and I know now where I have made my mistakes. Gibby is so smart that she takes advantage of my mistakes and runs with them literally. She is so smart that she can open drawers, doors and clearly jumps over any gates like a horse. Her intelligence scares me at times! Thanks again for the help!!

Teresa

·
Registered
689 Posts
Great ideas. Chester has become rebellious and won't listen these days unless he feels like it. Its making my husband crazy. I think we need to do a little retraining!

·
Registered
377 Posts
The advice you have gotten is perfect, as usual. The only thing that I would add is say "come" in a firm and serious voice only ONE time and then, foolish though you will feel, immediately start the happy song "what a good boy, how smart, you are so sweet, etc. etc. Usually, they can't resist coming to see what you are so worked up about. Avoid saying "come" in any of your other comments. Once they have this down, you can slowly eliminate the cheerleader routine. I feel goofy telling him how great he is before he even starts my way, but it really does work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts