Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please read up on the pet food recall. If you feed your pet wet food, then please read this:

http://www.menufoods.com/recall

WASHINGTON -- A major manufacturer of pet foods sold throughout North America under dozens of store names is recalling millions of containers of its products while working to determine what caused kidney failure and some deaths of cats and dogs.

Menu Foods said today it is recalling dog food sold under 46 brands and cat food sold under 37 brands and distributed throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico. Major retailers, including Wal-Mart, Kroger and Safeway, sold the pet foods.

"At this juncture, we're not 100 percent sure what's happened," said Paul Henderson, the company's president and chief executive officer. However, the recalled products were made using wheat gluten purchased from a new supplier, since dropped for another source, spokeswoman Sarah Tuite said. Wheat gluten is a source of protein.

An unknown number of cats and dogs suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, Menu Foods said in announcing the North American recall. Product testing has not revealed a link explaining the reported cases of illness and death, the company said.

The recall covers the company's "cuts and gravy" style food, which consists of chunks of meat in gravy, sold in cans and small foil pouches between Dec. 3 and March 6.

Stores operated by the Kroger Co., Safeway Inc., Wal-Mart Stores Inc. and PetSmart Inc., among others, sold the pet food Henderson said.

The company said it makes pet food for 17 of the top 20 North American retailers. It is also a contract manufacturer for the top branded pet food companies, including Procter & Gamble Co.

P&G announced Friday the recall of specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch cat and dog wet food products made by Menu Foods but sold under the Iams and Eukanuba brands. The recalled products bear the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, P&G said.
Menu Foods' three U.S. and one Canadian factory produce more than 1 billion containers of wet pet food a year. The recall covers pet food made at company plants in Emporia, Kan., and Pennsauken, N.J., Henderson said.

Henderson said the company received an undisclosed number of owner complaints of vomiting and kidney failure in dogs and cats after they had been fed its products. It has tested its products but not found a cause for the sickness.

"To date, the tests have not indicated any problems with the product," Henderson said.

The company alerted the Food and Drug Administration, which already has inspectors in one of the two plants, Henderson said.

Menu Foods is majority owned by the Menu Foods Income Fund, based in Ontario, Canada.

Henderson said the recall would cost the company the Canadian equivalent of $26 million to $34 million.

More info: A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates is available from the Menu Foods website, http://www.menufoods.com/recall. Consumers with questions can also call (866) 895-2708.

On the Net: Food and Drug Administration at http://www.fda.gov/

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Thank you for the info, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fortunately I feed none of this to either my Cats or Dog, but alerts are good because you never know. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Thanks Cinnsmom!
My hubby mentioned that this was on the news, but I missed it!
Fortunately we don't use that kind of food either...how sad and
unfortunate for the owners and pets that did....

Kathie, Raleigh & Molly :D :twisted: :?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
thanks Becky!!!!!! luckily we use canidae here but thank you!! and i am passing this on to friends here in Rochester

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Thanks Karen for pointing this out...I am finding more and more too. And would not be surprised to find that kibble will be added next.
Here is a cross post to another post about this issue. This is our story...but I have heard of so many unusual puppy deaths and severe illnesses recently that I believe that they are connected.
Here is my cross post:
I was going to post about this too...
For all of you who have had (or will have) puppies with diarreah, vomiting and lethargy...the first thing you should do is go to the vet and be sure to know the foods your dog has been eating!
I had a very sick puppy last week, he almost died. The symptoms began as a parasite and I took a stool sample in to the vet. By the time I returned home, he was lying still, barely moving. I rushed him in and they ran all sorts of tests and x-rays (sound familiar Ann Marie?) and they said that he had a huge amount of bacteria in his intestines but that they don't think he had parasites. Still, they acknowledged that he was extremely sick (I could tell they were afraid for him) and they kept him over night with IV fluids going in him...by morning he was almost completely recovered!
I have been reading and this is a classic symptom of renal failure...and when I got him home I quit feeding the dog food (Eukunuba Weaning Diet) and began cooking for them all. Every one of them perked up (the others were starting to get run down and loose stools)...and now they are all so hyper...just like normal!
My point is that I have been reading a lot about this recall...they are "thinking" that it is due to an ingredient in the "cubes and gravy" type foods, but are recalling many canned foods...even those not recalled are being pulled. In addition, some are saying that the "suspected gluten" is in kibble and that it is possible that a recall of kibble may be up next.
I am not tring to be an alarmist...but I have recently read on the breeders forums about many breeders losing puppies in a similar way. The pups get sick very fast, the vet can't find a cause (mine never did) and the pups die!
I want to err on the side of caution...and I suggest that you all keep a very close eye on your dogs and their health and don't waste a minute if you suspect renal failure! (Even tell your vet that you want tests for that, as I don't believe that is a first consideration.)
I also think that even though some foods are not on the list...yet...it is possible that they may be, if this ingredient is this glutton used. I am going back to cooking for my dogs!
Very scary!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, that's the scary part!
Cinnamon is showing no signs of any trouble, as of right now she's on Nutro lamb & rice (dry). She is 2 yrs old though. She might be able to handle any intestinal problems.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The Foods

the foods recalled are for canned or foods in pouches ,thus far, god willing thats all it is and doesnt effect the dry foods
wheat gluton is in most dry foods though so its gonna be a wait and see

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ancy as you know i do 1/3 bland diet to 2/3 canidae life stages food.
i also used the canned canidae serving a tbspn at 1 or 2 meals too.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
hey

Bland? you mean rice chicken? im sorry i havent paid attention
where do i get candai ? petsmart does not carry it
do they have a puppy food specifically for pups?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
nancy...by bland diet i mean

boiled chicken, rice, and beef...when i can i use venison instead of beef as it's reallly lean.
I also add a touch of sweet potatoe(1 slice), no more than 1 tbspn a day of pumpkin OR yougurt or cott cheese...add a capsule of omega 6.

Max now gets about 1 cup od dry Canidae with bland diet at each meal. He and Peanut both eat 3 meals a day. Peanut gets a extra snack inbetween depending on how active she is that day with max and me.

Canidae has a store locator...if you can't find Candiae there is another way. type in INNOVA in a search engine ok? then go to Innovas site click on store locator BECAUSE whoever sells Innova and Calf nautral also sells Canidae.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Ok Nancy...hang in ther honey....here is the site you requested

For ANYONE WISHING to compare multible dog foods and also find store locators here you go

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=tools-tab

go down on right hand side of this site and you'll see comparison wizard ok? then there's a store locator...most stores that carry Innova carry many other foods that are natural and also canidae

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Thanks AnneMarie

And thank you so much for your call, i have been beside myself, your call meant more than i can say,,ty soooo much

here is what i am looking at,,i need to watch costs and easy to get food
http://www.lassie.com/naturalway/natural-way-flash.htm
can you look this over and see what you think,,anything negative that you see?
Im normally pretty good with comparisons ,,this is just not my week, any help appreciated

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Well Alright then!!! :O)

We made a decision, after spending 2hrs with a local pet store owner we have dealt with on our birds and small animals for over 6yrs ,we made a decision
we are feeding to ALL our dogs and puppies http://veruspetfoods.com/
if folks can not get this food in their area, it is very comprable with Canadi foods which may be a bit easier,
im thrilled, and you wont believe this but both foods are cheaper then Nutro Natural chicken meal rice and oatmeal, so dont be like me and just assume it is more expensive, in fact my friend said that nutro products have lost quality recently due to the mass production,
in any case im done with it and feel much better this afternoon

Keep us in your prayers ,still have a week before we are out of the woods and i can relax when the pups start eating good,
Im exhausted ,and patience is really running thin,,hugs to all that took the time to call and email me thank you so much,im so blessed to have friends like you :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here is a article I just got today from ABC New on the recall of the pet food.

By ANDREW BRIDGES

WASHINGTON Mar 30, 2007 (AP)— Government testing found a chemical used to make plastics in recalled pet food linked to the deaths of dogs and cats, officials said Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration said it found melamine in samples of the Menu Foods pet food, as well as in wheat gluten used as an ingredient. Cornell University scientists also have found the chemical, also used as a fertilizer, in the urine and kidney of a sick cat.

Menu Foods recalled 60 million containers of cat and dog food earlier this month after animals died of kidney failure after eating the Canadian company's products. It is not clear how many pets may have been poisoned by the apparently contaminated food, although anecdotal reports suggest hundreds if not thousands have died. The FDA alone has received more than 8,000 complaints.

G

·
So how does Melamine get into pet food? Only deliberately?

Melamine is a strong organic base with the chemical formula C3H6N6, with the IUPAC name 1,3,5-triazine-2,4,6-triamine. Its SMILES string is NC1=NC(N)=NC(N)=N1. Melamine is produced from urea, mainly by either of two methods: catalyzed gas-phase production or high pressure liquid-phase production.

Melamine is primarily used to produce melamine resin, which when combined with formaldehyde produces a very durable thermoset plastic. This plastic is often used in kitchen utensils or plates (e.g. Melmac). It is often used in laminates. It is the main constituent in high pressure laminates such as Formica and Arborite and of laminate flooring. Melamine tile wall panels are known as whiteboards. Melamine resin is often directly laminated to particle board; the resultant panel is often referred to just as "melamine" and is the main panel good used in Ready-To-Assemble furniture and many kitchen cabinets.
Melamine foam has an interlinking bubble format which produces a structure more like a block of microscopic fibreglass than normal foam. It is used for soundproofing, as a fire-retardant material (but not as insulation, because it allows air to pass through its structure), and also as a cleaning product, the name-brand version of which is Magic Eraser, though other companies chop up and sell the same foam under their own, or generic, names

G

·
http://www.reuters.com/article/governme ... 4320070330

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. officials said on Friday that melamine, a component found in fertilizers in Asia and which should not be in pet food in any amounts, has been detected in the wheat gluten used by Canada-based Menu Foods.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration official Stephen Sundlof said during a press conference that melamine was found in the urine of dead cats. Though its presence is undeniable, it has not been determined to cause sickness or deaths in pets, he said.

Melamine should not be in pet food in any amounts, Sundlof added.

Menu Foods has recalled millions of pounds of wet pet food in the past two weeks after it was associated with kidney failure in pets and deaths of at least 14 animals.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts