Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bogie had loose stools when we got him. We took him for his first checkup and brought a stool sample.
He had been wormed at the breeder but apparently not enough.
He has coccidia and giardia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The vet said that 90% of puppies have this protozoa. I was livid when I found out. The breeder is embarrassed and said this has never happened before. She will pay any vet bills. We could actually take him back but I couldn't do that!!! That would be just awful after learning to love him and training him!
Should I really be upset, or is this something that"just happens"?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mary!
We started him on the powdered meds and pills. The website you gave is very informative on causes.
My breeder told me that she sometimes runs her dogs on state land and they may have picked it up there.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Yeah I was just going to say I think these things happen and that antibiotics should help.

That's nice of your breeder to help you out like that - especially since it sounds like Bogie likely came to you sick.

I hope he feels better soon!!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well.....I must confess I didn't post this for 3 days... :x
I too was embarrassed.........
So, Bogie has been on the meds since Monday.............his stools are firmer. He never appeared sick.......just the loose stools.
The breeder is actually on the breeder list for premium breeders someone gave here earlier. She's not happy about this at all. Plus, she now has to medicate ALL her dogs.....that's rough!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Oh don't be embarrassed. Most of us have gone through it at one time or other. Good on you for getting on top of it so quickly :p

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hershey came to us with Giardia, the breeder knew and she gave us a couple pills to give her when we got home. She had ponds on the property and all her puppies had it. her stools were loose but she wasnt dehydrated, and it cleared up fast.

G

·
That is great your breeder responded like that. Probably that is one of the reasons she is on the premium breeder list. I was told by my vet that dogs can get worms from the craziest places and it's not a big deal as long as you treat it. Glad Bogie is feeling better!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ginny had whipworms when we got her too even though she'd been wormed. The vet said that is almost impossible to wipe out worms in a kennel situation as they just keep getting them from each other and the ground. So, I wouldn't be too perturbed with the breeder although it is a bit of a shock. I would almost rather been told that she would need to be checked for worms and perhaps wormed when we got her home so that we wouldn't have ignorately infected our other pets.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Terrible that you and Bogie have to go through this. I do these things happen once in awhile regardless of the precautions the breeder may take. I am very impressed that your breeder is supporting you through this.

G

·
It's no big deal and VERY common!!!!
I am pretty sure these parasites actually live in the dogs intestines without issues until stress (even happy stress like new home or leaving litter) brings them on full blown!
I'll look for some more info!!! But don't be mad at your breeder!!!!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Hi Linda, there is no way a breeder has any control over Coccidia, coccidia is stress induced in most cases especially in puppies, no need to be livid, the breeder has no control over how a pup handles the stress of the move, you take a puppy you need to understand that the breeders (normally) do all they can to ensure no worries when you get home,
giardia is normally in standing water, i know rite now with all the rain rite we had, its possible some pups will have giardia, but just as a example ,i had a pup that tested posistive, i tested 2 others both worth negative, so it is per pup , its fairly inexpensive to treat, but again parasites is not somthing a breeder can control other then normal worming,, im sure your breeder did the best she knew, like a baby its up to you to take it from there :O) Both are very common and nothing to get upset about

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Oh one more thing, with the amount of tummy antibiotics you are on ,(im assuming flagyl and albon) make sure you give a tad bit of plain yogurt,(not no fat) a couple of times per day, to get the good bacteria back in the tummy :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Linda,

Abbey had Gardia when she was about 10.5 weeks old. About a week or so after we picked her up from the breeder. It took two rounds of the powder antibiotic to get rid of it. It was a pain because we really had to take her outside a lot with the diarrhea. When she had to go, she had to go now! It was tough for her. But we got rid of it in time for her to start puppy classes. I think it is common. I didn't even tell the breeder, maybe I should have.

I did give Abbey a little plain yogurt with her food. I had to feed her bland can food that the vet provided.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah yes! The yogurt! Forgot!
I wasn't BTW really blaming the breeder. I was just upset when I first found out. Maybe we're too sensitive right now after just having put our Springer down.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Normal reaction, Vets tend to blame the breeder so why shouldnt you feel that way, i wish vets would educate rather then condemn, a pet peeve of mine, didnt mean to come off strong, just wanted you to understand that most of us do the best we can and would never knowingly send home a pup with any issues
heck i go as far as to send meds for "just in case" with instructions to call me if any issues arise they have it there to begin treatment and makes the new pup coming home less stressful on pup and the family i want it to be a happy time not worrisome

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Lindamarie...how nice your breeder is offerring to help out ...hope your doodle is back on track soon

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
As a breeder this is just something that all dogs can have Stress brings it out so puppies with weaker systems will sometimes get it once they go home since this is very stressful for them. Please don't blame the breeder it really isn't anything that could have been avoided.

All dogs have cooci but adults can fight it off when stressed puppies systems sometimes just aren't strong enough that doesn't mean the pupp isn't healthy or the breeder did anything wrong.

I always offer to pay the Vet bill when this happens it doesn't happen a lot but does happen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts