Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my family was preparing for the football game, Jameson took advantage of the craziness and snagged two chicken wings and swallowed them whole. I am worried they might splinter in his intestines...or might be really hard coming out the other end. (sorry if this is crude). Is the something that should be addressed with his vet?. HELP!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Sorry, I don't have an answer for this one. I know it's the weekend, but you might try calling an emergency vet office and asking them. I called in the middle of the night when my toy poodle ate a large amount of chocolate and was having diarrhea and couldn't settle down to sleep. They told me she'd be fine over the phone and didn't even have me bring her in.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I would probably give a call, but I wouldnt be worried (not to say you shouldnt) if they were swallowed whole they are not splintered I would think and the stomach acid should dissolve them.

but again I would call and check.

and I have used the cotton ball thing for a razor blade and had good results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

So I ended up calling the emergency vet. They suggested damp, soft bread to interact similarly to how the cotton balls would and to keep a close eye one him. So far he is still acting normal. Thanks for the quick responses!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am so glad to read that the vet eased your worries...I would have said not to be too concerned either because, as I understand it, the cooked chicken bones are usually a problem only because they splinter when chewed...and the splintering is what can be dangerous.
It is good to hear about the soaked bread remedy...didn't know that one!
Thanks for posting, and my best to Jameson.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Am I understanding this correctly? You can give your dog a cotton ball to eat as you would soft soaked bread when they eat something like chicken bones or chocolate or something of that nature?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
how is Jameson doing? is he ok?

and yes cotton balls soaked in water/milk etc and then broken into smaller pieces fed to a dog will end up going thru the intestines picking up pieces along the way and hopefully allowing the dog to passs it through.

OH not chocolate just things like bones that splinter, glass etc

I asked my vet about this when we first got Max hahhahaha as i had read so much here and thing doodles do.

I didn't know about the bread though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jameson update

So all is well now with Jameson. He did throw up the next morning but there was no blood and otherwise was acting fine. The vet said there are 3 main things to watch for: 1) throwing up and strange bowel movements combination. 2) Blood in either of those or 3) trying to go the bathroom and not being able to.
besides that one time getting sick on monday he has been completely back to normal, phewww. He certainly is preparing me for kids one day!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts