Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to give a dog a raw bone? We have some raw pork bones from the butcher but I'm not sure whether they are safe to let the dog chew. I do remember giving our dog bones when I was a kid, but that was a long time ago!

·
Registered
401 Posts
not sure about raw pork bones but never give your dogs raw hide bones, they can have poisonsin them and they get lodged in your dogs throat, our neighbors had to run their dogs to the emergency room...scary

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I've been scared to give a dog any kind of bone since we lost a dog to a bone splinter. It was the most heart wrenching thing I've been through with a dog.

I have been giving Cinnamon rawhides since she was a pup with no adverse reactions. You need to get the log type, not the kind with the knot in the ends. They can chew off the ends and choke. My vet has said that all the hype about the rawhides not being digestable is not true. And you need to throw them away when they get too small because of the choking hazzard. We limit Cinnamon to 1 log a day. We don't want that to interfere with real food. She still loves to chew at 1 1/2 years.

And I noticed an ad for "Greenies" at the top of this forum. Greenies have been in the news here (in K.C.) for dogs dying from blockages because they are NOT 100% digestable. I've never given one to Cin, but for all of you who have, be careful. The company that makes them even says they are not 100% digestable, so that should be a red flag right there!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Most vets say "no" to bones because of the dogs teeth.
They are scared it will break teeth. I think this is silly because what did dogs eat in the wild? Animals, and animals have bones last I checked. haha.
I think it's silly to say dogs shouldn't eat bones, Boone gets a giant bone, and chomps on it for a long time and loves it.

But make sure never to give chicken bones.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Tina - we always fed our dogs bones when I was growing up too.

I did some browsing on the Internet and found lots of sites that promote the raw diet or BARF. These sites state that raw bones are highly nutritious - which they are, and good exercise for the dog's jaw, shoulders etc. Other sites say the risks are not worth it - a small piece of bone could become lodged in the dog's teeth, throat or intestinal system.

Now I don't know what to think!!!

The processed bones and chewies that you buy from the pet stores are overpriced and probably have little or no nutritional value, but, on the other hand, the raw bones pose some (probably very small) risk to the dog.

How many of you feed your dogs raw bones?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Jannie,
You have touched on the reason I quit giving bones to my dogs...too many arguments on both sides and I felt that bone fragments harming them was too much of a risk for me...although, I sometimes rethink my position when I see how healthy the raw fed pups are!
I think that you will have danger in either types of diet. My dogs loved raw...and they don't eat well on kibble, they hate it...so I am always wondering which way to go.
I have heard that raw bones will digest, where cooked bones won't. How true that is, I don't know.
I did the research, as you have, and can't find a good answer.
But, again, I know people who even feed tiny puppies on a raw diet, including chicken wings! And they are extremely healthy.
The deciding factor for me was when I read experts talking about the reason that bone fragments don't bother wolves is that they also eat skin and fur and the fur wraps around the bone...when they look at their excriment, they find that the bone fragments are wrapped in fur!
Some raw feeders do feed fur/feathers and all...don't think I could go that far!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jac

Yes it's a toughie isn't it . . . .

My feeling is that the raw diet is probably more nutritious, but riskier than the kibble. And more work - shopping for and storing all those whole chickens, etc. The dog would need her own fridge!

As for animals in the wild - wolves, coyotes, wild dogs etc. - there were/are probably the occasional ones that did choke on bones, or get them lodged in their teeth or guts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.