Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy Abby doesn't go much for the Kong or this other type bone, but when I give her a raw hide bone she will chew on it for hours....any issues with giving a puppy a big rawhide bone? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I give Tucker (beagle mix) rawhide fairly frequently - BUT he isn't a strong chewer. I can't give you any advice from the doodle side (yet), but I can tell you what I do with him... If a piece breaks off I'll throw it away, even if I have to pry it out of his mouth to do so... As soon as it gets small enough that the NEXT time he chews it it could get small enough to choke on, I throw it away. And last I'm always RIGHT next to him when he's got it.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
OH - And Annmarie warned me of this... Just because she doesn't like something NOW doesn't mean she won't in a month. Just put it away and reintroduce later on :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback Debbildog! I do the same thing and I make sure when a piece breaks off I toss it. She just loves them and I hope there is no reason to take it away from her, but I wanted to check with the doodle owners out there in "doodleland' :p

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ok for once i am taking a stand against rawhides..dogs DO NOT digest them well. can give them gass also.

I don't use rawhides. i use nylon bones, teething rings and kongs.
To attract a dog to a kong put a tiny bit of peanutbutter in it or even yougurt. You can also put in it fridge or freezer for teething puppies.

Max ignored his for months now its chew chew chew haahha with peanut stealing it from him and then Max CRIES :shock:

OH thanks Kristen!!! andyes some toys doodles ignore for a month or more! then one day it's their favorite again.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Ok, I've heard all the arguments that raw hides don't digest. I asked my vet about it and she says it's a myth that some vets still tell their owners. (She's a young one, 5yrs out of vet school) We've given Cinnamon raw hides since she was 8 weeks old with no bad gas or poops. She's now 2 1/2 and will still chew on them, even though she LOVES the pig skins best. Raw hides are cow hides, just not tanned to be leather. So how can it be not digestible? Just watch the small pieces and get the log kind, no knots. Choking seems to be a probelm with knots.

I will NEVER :!: give any dog bones, raw or other wise. I know it's what they get in the "wild" but dogs and cats don't live as long in the "wild" as domesticated ones. I won't chance the spinter in the intestines.

I would prefer to have my dog chew natural cow hides rather than plastic. Isn't that what they found in the dog food around the country? a form of plastic? Think about it.

Sorry, this might offend some on this forum, but most know how I feel and most know why. I just had to let you know my side.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My puppy doesn't love the Kong, Nylabone or even the ediable Nylabone either. My vet said that it's OK to give rawhide to dogs (she gives rawhide to her own dog). I know that my puppy needs to chew on something other than me and my kids (her favorites) :? !

I found a rawhide chew stick for puppies that is made by Nylabone. It is called "Natural Toro Tender and Juicy middle. Softer chews for puppies." There is more of the tender and juicy middle than rawhide. My pup chews the rawhide ONLY to get to the middle. Most of the time she doesn't even eat the rawhide...she just peels it away to get to the good stuff! There are 5 puppy chews per package and I got them at Petsmart.

Another favorite chew (not rawhide) are bully sticks. They are animal tendons. I guess dogs love them. I haven't tried them yet.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Bully stick aren't tendons. They're the certain appendages you get off bulls, hence the Bully Stick.

You can buy the tendons, but it's more expensive than raw hide.

Cinnamon was a power chewer and she went through one of those large logs in one day. That and the wood work, a couple of chairs, antique hall tree... you get the drift! She'll still get sticks out of the yard and make mulch out of them. Doesn't seem like she swallows anything, but she does love to chew them up!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
ann marie and I agree on about 90 percent of our raising and feeding
BUT I still do rawhides :) natural and USA, my vet also feels that they are digestable and safe - but I do supervise. they dont have rawhide often and never when I am gone. I normally use the chips to avoid choking issues with knots.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
with previous dogs i used rawhides...with Max and previous digestive issues ....OK bully sticks produced room clearning GAS in both peanut and max (they'e half-siblings). Bones Max the power chewer can split and/or splinter in record time. Which is why we stick to teething rings and nylon bones. safefty sake. He did get pigs ears but that aided mushy poop.

Here's a good one for you all: I had a bluetick coonhound once go wander to potty and always say hi to neighborhood folks when i lived ON Lake Erie by the Indian reservation. WEll he came home with what i THOUGHT was a big fat stick. OK so i didn't have my glasses on and it was late at night. Told "beacon" to go show daddy and his brother his new stick , that they'd play with him since i had to unpack.
It wasn't a stick..........hahhahahhaa it was half a deer leg that my dog put on their lap while chewing it :shock: hahhhhahahahaa! Beacon loved that bone and with convincing finally gave it up :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
movistar said:
Annmarie have you thought about contacts??!!!
YES they said i can't wear them :cry:
Besides this way i can provide much entertainment for y'all here hahahhahaa

i also once thought a skunk in my house was my cat ( it was dark out ok?) and proceeded to pick up a skunk :shock: i screame so loud it wasn't funny. And yes i wasn't wearing my glasses then either :roll:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Annmarie,
My hubby didn't wear glasses when he petted a wild raccoon that had climbed in his lap either. He thought it was my sister's dog until he looked down, then yelled a 4 letter word that shall remain in your imagination! He's lucky it wasn't a skunk, as they were seen in the area when he was petting the ****.
I laughed my socks off!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Gene...i don't look good in black rimmed glasses

are there any other color options...also i need to bring out my blue eyes

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LINDA blue on blue eyes...nope my eyes would blend in too much

try again

1 - 20 of 54 Posts