Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me more info about the raw food diet? Sounds too easy. I have been so brainwashed to think about raw chicken as a salmonella sentence, I avoid it like the plague....Thanks! Leslie

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
There is a book "Raw Meaty Bones" it is suppose to be a very good book on the subject. I have not read it yet having trouble finding it, will have to do Amazon. There are people strongly for it and against it. Our obedience trainer feeds her dog a raw diet and swears by it and says it is no more than a premium dog kibble. I would say research it talk to your vet and decide what is best for you.

·
Registered
558 Posts
We have the link on our web site. Check it out. We read that book and several others and our adults love it they wait every morning and night for it. They also have dry food available when they want it. It can get pricey BUT they are worth every penny. We had several people come to look at the pups and remark on the coats of the parents, and the kids, HOW SHINNY. Check it out. There is NO salmanilla problem at all with chicken. Check out the book its worth reading. Your dogs will love it!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Raw Meaty Bones is a good book on raw- and you don't have to buy it! You can read it at www.rawmeatybones.com

Leslie- are you a nurse? I'm in nursing school :eek:) You should never feel guilty about feeding your dog. But the quote from Maya Angelou explains how I feel about feeding kibble- "You did what you knew to do at the time, when you knew better, you did better." I want what is best for my dogs.

Do I think it is feeding them raw and trying to keep their environment as clean and toxin free? Yes. Do I realize that not everyone agrees with me... Heck yes. And that's okay.
Kibble isn't all that terrible, but you can relate it to eating McDonald's every day. Sure, you would survive, but would you be healthy? And there are some kibbles that are better than others, but kibble by its nature must contain grains and preservatives. I feel more confident in me picking out my dog's food than letting a food manufacturer do it. I had a big wake up call once when I was shopping for meat at a wholesale meat place. I asked the butcher for cheaper cuts of meat and scraps, and he basically told me that they use a lot of the animals, and there aren't that many "scraps" left over. It kind of dawned on me that pet food companies are not putting whole chickens and nice cuts of meat in dog food. They are putting in the scraps- the cheap stuff that is left over after everything is removed for human consumption.
I have been feeding raw now for about 3 months. I really like it, and so do the dogs :eek:) That website- wholistic pet med- makes raw feeding entirely more complicated than it should be.
I feed prey model- it mimics whole prey. It ends up being about 75-80% meat, 10-15% bone, and 10% organs (liver being the most important). They get 2-3% of their adult body weight, so if they are 50 pounds, they get about a pound a day, 75 pounders get about a pound and a half. I feed whole chickens, turkeys, ducks. I feed as much lamb and fish as I can afford. I feed a lot of pork and beef (although not beef bones- they are too hard and can break teeth). Everything I feed, I can buy at the grocery store. I don't feed any grains or veggies except for treats- I think dogs are carnivores and they cannot digest these like humans can- but there are some people out there who believe dogs are omnivores... again, just a difference in opinion.
Are there risks in feeding raw, absolutely. But, I think the benefits outweight the risks, for me anyway. Sure, dogs can get salmonella. But, their digestive tracts are also much shorter than ours and they can handle much higher quantities of bacteria than we can. Dogs with healthy immune systems will most likely be able to fight it off if they do eat something with bacteria in it. Also, bacteria is everywhere, NOT just in raw chicken.
I use proper handwashing technique and wipe the counters down- just like I would after handling raw meat for myself. I haven't had any problems.
I am so sorry that this ended up being SOOO long. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to chat with you. You can private message me (hit the PM button) if you'd like

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
215 Posts
Lisa- Glad I could help! Tom's books are good- but even better when you can read them for free!
M&T- Yes! I almost forgot about the poop and the TEETH! It may cost more than kibble, but we won't have to pay hundreds to have their teeth cleaned! If I bought from a butcher- I'm sure he would be driving a benz too! I buy mostly from the grocery store because they have slightly better prices, at least on common stuff. Sometimes I like to buy lamb and other harder to find things from the butcher.

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I am intregued! I will definately read the online book as time allows...Thanks!

P.S. Yes, I am a nurse....I wish you the best in school. I know for me it was the worst years of my life.. Never worked so hard in all my days. If you want to PM me, I'm open to any and all advice I can offer....Leslie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have tried raw and my dogs LOVE it...I am one who reads everything, pro and con...and I know the arguments on both sides.

I finally decided not to feed raw...the only reason is that I read a counter argument to the "raw bones won't hurt" idea. The study was done by scientists who study wolves. It was not about dogs at all...it said that the reason that the raw bones are not harmful for wolves is that they also eat the fur or feathers...and that when you check the scat of wolves, the bones are always in a "cacoon" of fur or feathers...their research concluded that if an animal eats raw bones without the fur/feather balance, splinters can be harmful.

I just decided that, although my dogs loved it and they were doing very well on it, I couldn't take the chance of being wrong...It is so hard to decide what is best for your dogs. It is a very personal choice. Those for raw feeding are passionate about it and those against it are equally passionate...you just have to decide what is right for you and your dogs.

One thing that I suggest if you feed raw is to feed the dog while in the crate and then remove anything left over after a period of time...otherwise, you will find gross, muddy, pieces of raw bone on your bed, rug or in a surpise location!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts