Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
apologies if this topic has been covered - i did a search and didn't find much? anyhow, i know the raw diet debate is a hot topic but who out there feeds raw bones? i have some raw lamb bones in the freezer that we purchased a while back and i'm looking for something to keep shaia busy (besides bully stix) while she recovers from spay surgery. is there less risk of splintering than cooked bones? i know the marrow must be rich for them too. pros and cons?
thx!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
No problems here with raw bones at all! Marrow and the such even. We went back to the raw bomes after all three threw up after tanks bones. They swallowed pieces of the smoked(??) meat and it came up a few hours later. No problems at all with the raw bones......happiness for hours!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
how much of a mess do they make? :) And do you get them at a butcher? I am clueless...we just buy our meat at a supermarket so I never look for that type of stuff.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
For Jonah's bday, I just got soup bones from the meat section at my grocer a whopping $1.88 for three good sized bones. Trust me, these are self cleaning bones..... :wink: I usually clean with sanitizer where they started them, but usually it's the cleanest spot on the floor!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, gene. leslie, i got mine at the holistic pet store in the freezer with the raw foods. you can also get them from the butcher counter for cheap too but i haven't tried that. i think i'll try it out with her. since she was spayed on weds, i can't take her to the park obviously and i need to keep her quiet while i'm working! although i'm not sure what the co-worker i'm meeting with later would think :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Shaia said:
although i'm not sure what the co-worker i'm meeting with later would think :wink:
Tell them that's what's left of the last co-worker that disagreed with you.... :shock: :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just don't let her over-exert...Sadie attacks raw bones like she's killing them! Can be a little messy too. I usually give them outside. YUM!

G

·
I give Bella raw marrow bones from ShopRite in the meat section, it may be labeled as soup bones. They cut them to about 2 inches which is perfect. Not messy at all. Gene, Bella cannot handle anything smoked either. The marrow bones are great at keeping her teeth clean too. I freeze them and give them to her frozen.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I give beef rib bones with the meat, we feed it frozen, we taught Lucas to eat the RAW stuff on a towel, works like a huge place mat, so that is easy enough... when we take one of his towels out he gets very excited!!! The other day I gave him lamb shank... HE LOVED IT!!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I guess I am really just feeding the meat off the bones, though I do let him chew the bone for some time... then I toss it... Good point about the little pieces getting stuck, but that could happen with a ball or a stuffed animal, or a sock... :D

·
Registered
576 Posts
I get the raw MEATY bones. After Sadie has stripped off every bit of meat, I take it away. I also keep an eye on her the entire time she's going at it.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
My dogs only get raw bones under supervision. They have cracked knucle bones in very short time into little choking hazards. We have never had a problem with round marrow bones, but still only when we are here to watch them, just in case.

In reality, they can choke on sticks and rocks but they are still allowed in the yard. I let them swim even though they could drown. I guess everyone just has to weigh the risks involved with anything and decide what they can live with. I think bones can be both a very dangerous thing and a very safe thing, depending on the bone, the dog, and the supervision.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gene said:
Shaia said:
although i'm not sure what the co-worker i'm meeting with later would think :wink:
Tell them that's what's left of the last co-worker that disagreed with you.... :shock: :wink: :lol:
LOL!!! i decided to hold off during the meeting but just now gave her one - so far she is psyched! hasn't even gotten to chewing into the bone - figuring out what her plan of attack will be. thanks for all this info, both pro and con. i am sometimes conflicted about giving bones myself but i do believe that dogs biologically have the need to chew them and as such have the ability to digest or deal with them. obviously, they must be supervised and i don't like the use of cooked bones, like you said gene - the smoked things that fall off of them don't seem to sit well, plus those have splintered. but there's nothing like a good bone chewing session to keep em occupied!!

G

·
Bella had one episode where the bone had tiny splinters on it, as if the saw used to cut it was too dull. I did not notice until she began coughing. It WAS scary when I realized a tiny bone had probably splintered off and lodged in her throat. Luckily I fed her some bread and I guess it helped move it along and she was fine. So, I do see the risk, but since she enjoys them so much, I just check them extra closely and toss any that feel rough or look hazardous.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, the bone gave her diarrhea but she loved it and had no splintering like with those cooked bones. oh well, trade off, i guess. :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts