Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many of you know about this but in case you don't, there is a rattlesnake vaccine available. It has its pros and cons but I decided to deal with the cons when my lab, Seazr, decided there was nothing in the world more fun than sticking his head in every gopher hole in search of ground squirrels! The biggest con to the vaccine that I have found is overconfidence--you can't be totally sure it's going to work. You should still use avoidance as your first defense, and in the unfortunate chance your dog winds up on the wrong end of a rattlesnake, you MUST still seek medical attention. The vaccine merely reduces the effects of a snakebite; it does not eliminate them. Anyway, Sacramento is not an issue but Eagle Lake (our vacation house) is in rattlesnake country and is very remote--the first small town is almost an hour drive. I'll take the chance on anything that can buy me some extra time. Sooo, Friday Dakota gets pricked!
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Diane..... I want you to still be cautious in Sacramento. Here is a picture of a Sacramento County :wink: Rattle Snake I caught in my back yard. The one that bit my little cocker girl Halo, didn't live long enough to get his picture taken. :twisted:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes, these snakes are everywhere! We have them in our area too...I was raised in Utah and in southern Utah there were tons of them...I collected rattlers (from the tail of dead ones) when I was a kid. :?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
We don't have rattlers here that I know of maybe over in eastern KS they might I know Dixie has them in Texas there are even people down there that come over for a fee and teach your dog to stay away from them. But it is good to know there is a vaccine for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts