Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

Wanted to see if anyone had any advice for me. My 16-month old Labradoodle, CoCo, has suddenly developed dry skin and rashes all over his body. You can see his some of his skin through his coat (he has a light brown (mix of brown and white hairs) coat) and it's slightly pink in areas. He also has a dry spot above his left eye.

Could this be fleas? I haven't seen any on him or around. Should I give him some vitamins that will help his skin? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6 ... GTNuzbM2PA

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b6 ... GTNuzbM2PA

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Without being able to really see him it's harder to say what's going on, I would make a trip to the Vet.

There are several things that can cause things like this, fleas are one but you should be able to find some fleas on him if he has them that bad. Another thing he could be allergic to his food (Have you changed it recently or changed treats). He could just have allergies or allergies to grass. Also I went and looked at him he is very pretty what generation is he?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CoCo is first generation. He is adorable.

Thank you for your suggestion. I just bought some tea tree oil used to treat hot spots and will see how that goes for the next couple of days. If he isn't better, I'm going to take him to the Vet.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I know that I often sound like an alarmist...and I don't mean to be...but Poodles are prone to SA and most breeders test their breeding stock for the disease...still, SA is hard to find unless the dog is actually showing signs...so the breeder testing is really not reliable.
Here is a link to explain a little about SA: http://www.offa.org/sageninfo.html
I don't think that your pup looks like he has SA...no loss of hair, so that is good.
It can be a serious disease so I'd ask that the pup be tested for it...but if they test, ask them to put him under anesethesia because the test is painful. :cry:

·
Registered
7 Posts
skin rash

My doodle is also 16months and had what sounds like a similar rash. Dry scaly patches. She was biting at them and they kept multiplying so I finally took her to the vet. The Vet told me those were part of staph infection from allergies. She put her on a round of steroids and antiobiotics and they cleared up. She said when we first notice them to put neosporin cream on them, sometimes that will clear it up before it spreads.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually I used the tea tree oil on CoCo and it really worked plus he smells really good :)

The first time I noticed the rashes a few months ago, the vet had put him on a round of antibiotics too and he told me that this year quite a few dogs have come in for allergies and similar rashes. I guess it's the weather.

I'll try the neosporin if the rashes reappear.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts